Your Favorite Classic Rock Bands

Exactly. It wasnt called "classic rock" then and shouldnt be called that now.

I understand the theory to some degree... classic cars... classic bands... classic "rock" music. I just like everyone to keep things straight and not consider it a genre. "Classic rock" terminology is for domestics, housewifes, radio/industry propaganda and people that just listen to music because they like music but wouldnt know the difference between the Bee Gees and Led Zeppelin. You know the type... the ones that think Led Zeppelin and the band Jethro Tull were the names of some guy singer... :lol:

Like whats your favorite Southern Rock band?
Whats you favorite old Hard Rock band?
Whats you favorite New Wave band ? ect.
Already people are... say... placeing Van Halen as a "classic rock" band, when in fact they were at the forefront of commercial Metal. Next thing you know the origional Heavy Metal bands will be thrown into the "classic rock" catagory, then the Grunge bands. Its just crazy never ending nonsence to me and has always annoyed me. If they were to... say... go to "classic metal", that might make since because its a more defined genre but still even in the 80's metal was diverse with commercial (pop), thrash, speed and heavy - metal. "rock" is a very broad spectrum when you consider people are throwing the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rush and Lynard Skynard in the same soup as one genre. Crazy I say... crazy!

Deep Purple recently did a song about "classic rock radio"

I understand the theory to some degree... classic cars... classic bands... classic "rock" music. I just like everyone to keep things straight and not consider it a genre. "Classic rock" terminology is for domestics, housewifes, radio/industry propaganda and people that just listen to music because they like music but wouldnt know the difference between the Bee Gees and Led Zeppelin. You know the type... the ones that think Led Zeppelin and the band Jethro Tull were the names of some guy singer... :lol:

Like whats your favorite Southern Rock band?
Whats you favorite old Hard Rock band?
Whats you favorite New Wave band ? ect.
Already people are... say... placeing Van Halen as a "classic rock" band, when in fact they were at the forefront of commercial Metal. Next thing you know the origional Heavy Metal bands will be thrown into the "classic rock" catagory, then the Grunge bands. Its just crazy never ending nonsence to me and has always annoyed me. If they were to... say... go to "classic metal", that might make since because its a more defined genre but still even in the 80's metal was diverse with commercial (pop), thrash, speed and heavy - metal. "rock" is a very broad spectrum when you consider people are throwing the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rush and Lynard Skynard in the same soup as one genre. Crazy I say... crazy!

Deep Purple recently did a song about "classic rock radio"

Its Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Sir Lord Baltimore and King Crimson mostly.

Also I'd like to ask a question without getting gang raped. Whats so great about the beatles? I don't hate them or anything, I just don't get them. What about them makes them the best selling band of all time?

Queen, as they are the ones through whom I discovered metal.

But I've been listening to Camel a lot lately. Especially their Mirage album. An excellent band. Still need to get their other 70s albums, which I only have on CD-R.

Whats so great about the beatles? I don't hate them or anything, I just don't get them. What about them makes them the best selling band of all time?

Domestics... domestics like them because their supposed too, they also like them because its simple light easy stuff to follow along with and sing along. I pretty much went through my entire life discusted with Beatle mania... its a sad state of affairs

Another great old hardrock band that I overlooked is Grand Funk Railroad. I was reminded of them last night. They wrote some great hard driving songs and should not me summed up by songs like "Were an American Band" or "Locomotion", theres alot of little gems on various albums, especially after they got the keyboard player. "Black Licorice" off the album "We're an American Band" is one of my all time favorite old hardrock songs.

Queen, as they are the ones through whom I discovered metal.

But I've been listening to Camel a lot lately. Especially their Mirage album. An excellent band. Still need to get their other 70s albums, which I only have on CD-R.
I only have Camel's Self-titled and it is excellent. You can definitely see where Opeth got their influences from.

As far as Mirage, how would you compare it to the S/T soundwise?

I only have Camel's Self-titled and it is excellent. You can definitely see where Opeth got their influences from.

As far as Mirage, how would you compare it to the S/T soundwise?
I haven't heard their debut, only the three albums that followed it. Mirage is smoothly flowing progressive rock with some tastefully integrated flutes and great guitarwork, but without all the excess wanking that is often the genre's trademark. (I.e. you don't need a PhD in music theory to enjoy it.:p) Almost completely instrumental with sparse, well performed vocals on a couple of tracks on the album. Just buy Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moodmadness. I'm pretty sure you'll like them.