Your Favorite Genre of Metal?

theVikingR said:
hehe instrumental death. Sorry if it seems like I'm pushing the prog death agenda, but it was those specific albums I recommended earlier that changed my attitude to growls, and now I can see the good bits in almost any death metal.

I've heard Mabool a few times already and I don't like it. It's not that I'm being close-minded, it's just a matter of taste.

Not so much with grind though. If you do decide to give them a chance, please listen to them in their entirety.

Are you talking about grind or prog death? Either way, it's really not that high on my personal priorities list. Sorry :erk:

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I really don't think Opeth is... or was black metal. Even their first two albums significantly pushed the boundaries of that genre. It was more like melodic death metal back then, and then they changed to progressive death. :erk:

Definitely!

Opeth is the exception. But honestly, black or death doesn't really matter... I should have said bands that mix extreme metal with other genres. And I think Opeth is just getting better and better with each album.

Beelzebub said:
I've heard Mabool a few times already and I don't like it. It's not that I'm being close-minded, it's just a matter of taste.

Are you talking about grind or prog death? Either way, it's really not that high on my personal priorities list. Sorry :erk:
It seems as though my post came across as being preachy or something? Sorry about that, that wasn't the intent.

I meant that those were the albums that helped me get into death metal and so if you were looking for a place to start then those might be a good idea. It's no concern of mine whether you like death metal or not ;) The last sentence was poorly positioned as it was supposed to refer to Mabool & BtToS, since my attitude (and I'm not suggesting it is yours) used to be to switch off as soon as I heard the first growl or brutal riff.

I have 2 favorite genres, but they're both constantly battling eachother for the title of my "true favorite", and those 2 genres are Power Metal and Prog Metal.

It's either listening to Symphonies or time signatures of 69/43.

Logruss said:
Opeth is the exception. But honestly, black or death doesn't really matter... I should have said bands that mix extreme metal with other genres. And I think Opeth is just getting better and better with each album.
Alright, I guess I can agree with that. I also think Opeth is getting better with each album, too. :kickass:

Prog metal as it generally incorporates melody, epic tracks, crunching guitars, ballads, great singing and nearly everything I look for in music. It has diversity.

I also like old school heavy metal and thrash metal.

Yngvai X said:
Although I don't find myself listening to many of the staples of the genre, I have to say the bigger chunk of my favorite bands are powermetal (Rage, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Iron Savior)

progressive rock too, as thats what I was brought up listening to (Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes, ELP).

You should listen to Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica and Kamelot. and tell me you listened to Jethro Tull?!

Montu Sekhmet said:
You should listen to Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica and Kamelot. and tell me you listened to Jethro Tull?!

I can't say I really like those 3 bands...I do like what i've heard of Tull, but I never really had a chance to "discover" them at the same time as the other classic ones.

ah man..listen to 'Aqualung' and "Thick as a Brick", then "The hare who lost his spectcles". They rival Yes im my opinion, even though I love Yes.

theVikingR said:
It seems as though my post came across as being preachy or something? Sorry about that, that wasn't the intent.
No, don't be sorry. My response sort of stems from my frustration (not intended to be taken out on you, of course) with people who can't get over the fact that I don't like X band for my own subjective reasons. Oh yeah I wasn't really sorry in that second post I made, I was just trying to be polite ;)

I meant that those were the albums that helped me get into death metal and so if you were looking for a place to start then those might be a good idea. It's no concern of mine whether you like death metal or not ;)

I'm not, and it isn't :D

The last sentence was poorly positioned as it was supposed to refer to Mabool & BtToS, since my attitude (and I'm not suggesting it is yours) used to be to switch off as soon as I heard the first growl or brutal riff.
You're sort of right that it isn't my attitude. I can generally decide if I like a band by the end of the first chorus of whatever song I hear by them. Sometimes I think "hey this is nice," and then I hear "UUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OHHHHHHHHHHHHH IHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH UHHHHHHHHHHHH EHHHHHHHHHHHH" and I want to rip my ears off.

Probably something like this:

Power Metal > Avent Garde/Experimental/Semi-Black Metal/Progressive > Progressive Metal > Death Metal

Really hard to say though.. For example my favorite band are all from different genres.. Arcturus, Symphony X, Iron Maiden, King Diamond, Hypocrisy, Wintersun, Kansas, Gamma Ray, Amon Amarth, Devin Townsend. Just some of them.
I guess they all share some traits though.. Melodic, often fast paced with unique vocals.

Atm, since i'm heavily into Agalloch, it would be:

Progressive Black/Folk/Doom/Death Metal all mushed into one > Progressive Metal > Power Metal

I won't listen to grind ever.

as for Beez not liking death vox.. some people warm into them and some don't.. I started off hating them, but now love them.. however when it comes to black metal - no matter how hard i have tried i just cant ever really like it. i do however love stuff like dimmu, but just for the music.. point is, she may have given death vox many a go but its just not for her.. no biggy.

I like power metal (fav. bands being Helloween, Gamma Ray, Virgin Steele) and progressive rock (camel, van der graaf generator, king crimson, kansas)...

Eternal Dragon said:
I've gotten to a point where i'm kinda sick of EVERYTHING. So, I'm gunna try and make my own stuff and just throw in whatever. Today I thought some tribal beats would sound cool, or prehaps war drums or something. And panpipes :).
I know exactly what you mean. I need to hear something that will revitalise my interest in music because i'm getting bored.