Your favorite guitarist

First of all, the notes that are played produces the expression rather than just pure speed (even though speed can contribute to intensity). If I were to sit on my ass all day and play random notes then it's going to show my lack of under-
standing of passion (which the entire foundation of music is based). Music is about trying to communicate with other people, and if you have nothing to communicate then theoretically, there would be no reason to play. Fav guitarists are Steve Hackett, Alan Holdsworth, Steve Vai, Frank Gambale, Al DiMeola, Alex Lifeson, etc..

Frederik Thordendal (Meshuggah)
David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
Dimebag Darrell (Pantera. R.I.P)
Kerry King (Slayer)
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
Bolt Thrower (Barry Thomson)

mdmatt4ever said:
he's so underrated you forgot his name

No I can't pronounce or spell the last name. lol And mostly importantly I remember his work. ;)

"First of all, the notes that are played produces the expression rather than just pure speed (even though speed can contribute to intensity). If I were to sit on my ass all day and play random notes then it's going to show my lack of under-
standing of passion (which the entire foundation of music is based). Music is about trying to communicate with other people, and if you have nothing to communicate then theoretically, there would be no reason to play. Fav guitarists are Steve Hackett, Alan Holdsworth, Steve Vai, Frank Gambale, Al DiMeola, Alex Lifeson, etc.."

A crap argument for "IT lacks emotions!!!!" Go to a poetry reading.

i'm very suprised only two people mentioned david gilmour, he is by far my favorite guitarist.
others include
Jesper stromblad
Chuck schuldiner
mikael akerfeldt
brian may
jimmy page (sloppy, but a genius none the less)
Dimebag darrell
randy rhoads
SRV
Trey from morbid angel
and of course

Tony Iommi, where would we be without him?

Pure imagination and talent...he is a genius:headbang: If you haven't heard him...your missing out BIG TIME! He can melt your mind to a bubbling paste and bring you back with a soul delivering melody!

kirk lee hammit -metallica [inspirational solo's]
dave murray-iron maiden [enjoyable solo's]
slash-G-n-R [techniques solo's]
ricardo amorim-moonspell [just sounds great]

hell i saw somone says kirk is overrated!!!

metallica is the best metal band ever...i didnt see fans for any other band more than metallica...so this means they are and still the best

WOLFHEART_2001 said:

metallica is the best metal band ever...i didnt see fans for any other band more than metallica...so this means they are and still the best

Metallica is over rated, there are far greater bands then Metallica, and I dont think im the only person here who thinks the same, Im also gonna have to disagree with your guitar list

Kirk Hammit is pretty good, ill say that, but hes nothing special, he was awsome in his time,but honestly, his time has passed
Slash- possibly the most overrated guitarist ever, he has absolutely no technique what so fucking ever, all he does is pluck strings here and there and incorporates a synthesized voice to add more shit onto his shitty solo, raining fecal matter on the shitty mainstream audience, heres some video footage

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jp2S9FuCpEA

you want technique, check out BOB ZABEK, or Michael Romeo.

No i don't nessecarily want technique, i like players who have both, but style and personality and creativity are more important to me. Nothing bores me more than a guy running endless scales and sweep arpeggios with no imagination or musicality, for those reasons i choose:

Eddie Van Halen - Hard rock innovator
Randy Rhoads - merged two styles made it cool
Jimi Hendrix - sloppy, but all emotion and creativity, the guitar would sound like a kazoo without him

Dimebag Darrel - Too much personality, mighty hard to impersonate him

Stevie Ray Vaugh - Fire and Passion, blues genius

Narg n Lamb said:
Metallica is over rated, there are far greater bands then Metallica, and I dont think im the only person here who thinks the same, Im also gonna have to disagree with your guitar list

Kirk Hammit is pretty good, ill say that, but hes nothing special, he was awsome in his time,but honestly, his time has passed
Slash- possibly the most overrated guitarist ever, he has absolutely no technique what so fucking ever, all he does is pluck strings here and there and incorporates a synthesized voice to add more shit onto his shitty solo, raining fecal matter on the shitty mainstream audience, heres some video footage

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jp2S9FuCpEA

you want technique, check out BOB ZABEK, or Michael Romeo.

this is not a song solo btw, its just to entertain the audience..not all ppl appreciate the techniques while hearing but mostly they appreciate how good is the tone and how fast the solo is...and what techniques your talking about you mean tapping Ah Nh and such things...i will ask you a question..do you think guitarist like slash cant do such things while his playing very simply..i heard solos with all kinds of techniques but they sound shit, not impressive its like somone say "hey, look i know how to play guitar"...if a solo entertain me then its very good and the successful guitarist is the one who can play such solo's

btw i forgot to mention paul gilbert & eddie van halen in the list they are one of the best guitarisrts ever

WOLFHEART_2001 said:

Kirk hammet is not described as "inspirational solos", his best solos are on the kill em all album, whiere practically all guitar work was written by the most innovative thrash guitarist ever, Dave mustaine.

Slash is the most overated guitarist ever. Nuff said

I dont like Maiden instrumentally anyway, so im bound to hate dave murray anyway.

In summary,

Metallica and iron maiden = overated

Kirk Hammet + Slash = Over rated

Dave Mustaine rules

The Slash solo ........ all attitude and laid back bluesy style way more entertaining to me than watching Paul Gibert go Blur ty Blu ty Blu Blur ty Blur ty Blu all day..... boring. To me a cool guitarist is one that can merge technique with his own PERSONAL STYLE , and way of playing to make a statement. For instance the sweet child of mine solo, perfect, every note he chose to utilize went perfectly with the song, no wasted motion. The hardest thing is to make somebody feel something. If your Barry Manilow and you make your audience cry over a love song, big ups to you cause you definetly have the touch. While i enjoy technique it definetly doesn't touch me, it's mentaly interesting but doesn't do much for my soul. The hardest thing always is simplicity. Paul Gilbert sometimes i'm like get to the point already and kick my ass man. Players like Slash, SRV Jimi, Eddie, waste no time, they don't fuck around, they go straight to the essence of your existence and say Yea!! Rock and Roll Muther Fucker :headbang: :kickass:

My picks:

George Lynch, for playing the most awesome shit ever (Mr. Scary anyone?), and showing the greatness of the '80s.

Marty Friedman, for having the most exotic, diverse, beautiful and absolutely 100% "untraditional" guitar style.

Andy Timmons, for being as technical as humanly possible, while actually sounding good at the same time. His fast country-playing kicks heavy arse.

Jeff Loomis, for having his own slightly "traditional", but still unique style of Cacophony-esque arpeggios and speed-picking. I haven't heard Jeff play unclean once.

Jason Becker, for being the latest brilliant composer, up there with Bach and the rest of the old gang.

Jani Liimatainen of Sonata Arctica, for playing good neo-classical music with feel instead of pure speed (but don't get me wrong, he can play like a madman).

Jeff Beck, for totally reinventing the guitar.

Steve Lukather, for being a totally underrated guitarist who could play the ass-nuggets off of any man/woman. He's old-school at it's best!

Kiko Loureiro, for making really (!) good music by integrating classical guitar with a good latino style. It's great!