Your favorite guitarist

first of all Jari maenpaa is easily my fave. 2nd im sure he could do most the stuff michael romeo can and lastly, to that guy who posted about muhammed, although necrophagist is great, muhammed is not as technically good as jari he even admitted it himself when i was talking to him after a gig, whn i mention jari's name. but as they say technical ability is nothing without creativity and innovation

Kerry King (Slayer)
Jeff Hanneman (Slayer)
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Kirk Hammet (Metallica)
Pat 'O Brien (Cannibal Corpse)
Karl Sanders (Nile)
Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
Marty Friedman (Megadeth/Solo)
Andy La Rocque (King Diamond)
Kell McLaughlin (Pessimist/Diabolic)
Joe Satriani (Solo)
John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
Darrell Abbott (Pantera/Damage Plan)
Max Cavalera (Sepultura/Soulfly/Nailbomb)
Andreas Kisser (Sepultura)
Balsac the Jaws of Death (Gwar)
Flattus Maximus (Gwar)

There are so many really good players it would be hard for me to name all of them I like so here's a real short list.

Alex Lifeson - early favorite, no one else I heard sounded anything like him.

Dimebag - most influencial to my own style of playing.

Tony Iommi - been listening to a lot of old Sabbath lately, and Tony really plays some great stuff. Simple by some standards, but always just right for the song. It's kinda like going back to where metal all began.

Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) - Complex riffs, expressive solos that are technical but not wanky, amazing vocalist, awesome song-writer.

John Petrucci (Dream Theater) - Because he's fuckin awesome

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - Not technically brilliant but possibly the most expressive guitarist I'v ever heard

Buckethead (solo) - He wears a bucket on his head! I hear he's pretty good at guitar too

Robert Fripp (King Crimson, solo)

KK Downing and Glen Tipton
Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman
Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman
and a place for the last who might change as soon as I will hear another guitar heroe.

All the great pioneers in their genre, or those that stepped it up a bit. We all know who they are so I'll mention a few that get lost in the sause. Remember were talking favorite not "best"
but first I'd like to thank Jimi for blasting down the barrier with his Marshalls, awsome clean double stop playing, great lyrics and smooth voice
Cris Oliva - had his own unmistakable sound, feel and speed. He was also right at the front of the heavy metal movement with more highly credited players
Vivian Campbell - same as above
John Du Cann & Mic Box - for being in the front of premetal metal sounds but fall by the wayside to Blackmore & Iommi
Steve Morse - very versatile and skilled player/composer
Al owns, check out "Return to Forever" on Utube if you want to witness young Al DiMeola and Stanley Clark in action
Robin Trower - great feel. great tone
Joe Pass & Chet Atkins for taking their genres a step further
Les Paul - thanks for the electric guitar
favorite unknown - George Puleo - check out "Billys Saloon", "The George Puleo Experience","Gamalon great instrumental band" on utube
Jerry Goodman, Jean Luc Ponty, Dr. Sloan and Robbie Steinhardt for bringing the violin out of the orchestra pit and playing real music