Your Opinions of God

dawnghost said:
why not pick that challenge then? I don't understand your point, sorry.

my point was that if he ever "denied" an offer for debate, he didn't do it deliberately. basically, what i think is that you people over at theologyweb are for the most part either incapacitated or unwilling to relate to satori's way to bring arguments, and he does not concede an inch to yours. there are two systems interacting here, each with its own set of rules and inner logic. if both keep on following their guidelines they cannot be proven true, false, or "utterly silly" in the slightest. so i think you can't stigmatize satori's criteria unless you do that on his terms. and vice-versa, of course.

and btw rahvin. I am posting this between classes and my life will be a mess from now on. I'd like to drop this subject here. even though maybe you judged me in a hasty way, I'd like to see some posts of yours there in theologyweb.com (I still take some time to read some debates) as well.

thanks for your invitation, i'll study my lessons then drop by and see what happens. :) as for the rest, i'm ok with dropping the subject here: i've got nothing specific to prove and i understand how life can just be stressful sometimes. :) and i'm always trying to judge people's arguments instead of people, but i'm sorry in advance for all those times when it might sound otherwise.

rahvin.

I believe that there is a higher power or "god" if you will. In my defense I offer a counter question: what created the universe, the ground we stand upon? Everything, even the earliest of things, like the creation of the universe had to be started by some higher being. It is true that certain relegions, *cough*Christianity*cough*, use god, the devil, and hell to keep control over its followers. But, I believe that no matter what relegion you belong to (be it Islam, Christianity, or other), all of these versions of "god" are actually real, but in the form of one. Those are just my thoughts. And tables are very real.

I think things were a bit more scientific in the creation of the Universe and what not. I just can't seem to believe in the thought of some phantastical cosmonaught waving it's wand around, sprouting life. Very bad fiction. And whats with the "and the table are very real"????

Well, what i was trying to get through was that even if science was more involved in creation, what jumpstarted that science to work. Lets say for instance the creation of the world. Science explains it as a multitude of gases and debris are heated until the "big bang" occurs. What caused that debris and those gases to be present. Sure you could respond that "a supernova caused the gases and debris to travel over to that sector of space". But then what started that and that and so on and so forth. Meh, i dont think i'm making sense anymore. As for the table remark, read the beginning of the thread to better understand.

union9 said:
I think things were a bit more scientific in the creation of the Universe and what not. I just can't seem to believe in the thought of some phantastical cosmonaught waving it's wand around, sprouting life. Very bad fiction. And whats with the "and the table are very real"????

Table worshippers, crazy bastards....

I find it quite easy to believe in the thought that a higher being might exist, who are we to say they don't. I am a science student, chemistry infact and if i learnt one thing at uni, it was that science is an attempt by humans to explain phenomena. Most religions are exactly the same thing, whilst science has evidence backing it's findings and what not. Sure, a lot has been explained by science and humans now can predict many things from the knowledge they've gained, but much is still unexplained. People have theories how matter is made from molecules, molecules made from atoms and atoms made from electrons and a nucleus and the nucleus made from the fusion two other particles and so on... Now, how did the original particles that all matter is made of come into being??? Did they just appear there? Science cannot explain that as yet, maybe it will be in the future. There is still so much unexplained in the world, so it pays to keep an open mind. Drugs will help.

Pedro said:
Table worshippers, crazy bastards....
People have theories how matter is made from molecules, molecules made from atoms and atoms made from electrons and a nucleus and the nucleus made from the fusion two other particles and so on... Now, how did the original particles that all matter is made of come into being??? Did they just appear there?

You summed up what i've been trying to express your first try. excellent!