Your random joy of the day

sopulurn said:
first "real" gig in a few days, in a metal bar with people who might actually give a fuck about our music!

we're playing with two bands that are almost black metal(just proves the point, you need to know the right people to get to play gigs, nothing else really matters) so i'm not sure how we'll fit in being melodic death metal, but we're going in hard and hope someone likes it!

slightly worried about the backing tracks we have, my worst fear is that the plug in the ipod becomes a bit loose and the click track starts coming out of the PA. this happens to us at rehearsals when i'm using my iphone to play the backing tracks. i guess the connector in the iphone 4 is just shitty or something, plugs don't seem to connect to it tight enough. so we're going to use a dedicated ipod, hope everything goes all right!

To prevent this from happening, I use a DI to split the backing track and send the Xlr out to the PA, so nothing is sent from the drummer's mixer to the PA, it's split beforehand, therefore it's impossible for the click track to go to the PA since physically it's nowhere near it. Although, I can imagine it might be sent if the plug gets loose, although that's never happened in rehearsals with my IPhone 4.

To prevent this from happening, I use a DI to split the backing track and send the Xlr out to the PA, so nothing is sent from the drummer's mixer to the PA, it's split beforehand, therefore it's impossible for the click track to go to the PA since physically it's nowhere near it. Although, I can imagine it might be sent if the plug gets loose, although that's never happened in rehearsals with my IPhone 4.

great tip, i hadn't thought of that! thanks!

yeah i have a feeling there's something possibly wrong with the jack of my iphone 4, plugs never seem to 'lock' to it properly. but i decided we'll be using someone's ipod at the gig.

great tip, i hadn't thought of that! thanks!

yeah i have a feeling there's something possibly wrong with the jack of my iphone 4, plugs never seem to 'lock' to it properly. but i decided we'll be using someone's ipod at the gig.

Well I got the idea from Anssi´s backing track tutorial from this forum, so thank him! Hahaha I used to have issues with a small click bleed slipping into the PA in rehearsals some time ago, I was sending from the iPhone into the drummer´s mixer and splitting/routing there, but due to panning and/or aux send issues there was always some click going into the PA, until I read Anssi´s thread and found the solution with the DI. I always have the backing track on the R and click on the L, so the R I plug into the DI, then the "through" into the drummer´s mixer and the XLR out straight to the PA, the click track goes straight to the drummer´s mixer, which means the drummer´s mixer and the PA mixer are isolated from each other, so no possible bleed occurs, never had any trouble so far, although I´ve only had one live show where I used backing tracks so far, but lots of rehearsals.

I use my iPhone 4 but have the drummer´s Iphone 3g and my wife´s Ipod Nano as backups (my iPhone hasn´t failed me so far, but you never know) and don´t have any issues with the jack, maybe yours is faulty?

yeah danlights, we used that method last night and everything went really well. i decided not to use my iphone but an ipod of our bassist's and had no problems with it whatsoever

the gig went really well too, i was half-dead within the second song and my mouth tasted like seawater because of all the sweat :lol: we were warming up for a spanish band called Noctem, maybe you know them? their show was pretty intense, i could dig it even though i don't like black-death that much

found a small mistake in the footer of my new homepage, deleted that part, looks better now and loads 25% faster :D
found a photographer who's going to work with me, got a new client-seems like a good start! really enjoying this after
around 2 months of unemployment.

congrats Max!

just booked the first real holidays I had since 2007!
Just 4 days, but at least me and my girl are away from home, not working and in another country :D
And as gay as it might sound, I am pretty excited about visiting Paris, going there by car because
train prices and flying is just to expensive during easter time, going to save at least 200€ by driving.

first band (other than my own) asked me to mix their songs... they like my work!! (just some mix-exercises/multitracks from here and another forum)
damn, this feels good :) :) now i start talking to them about payment, maybe my next post is in the random-annoyance-thread.... ;)

hey Jeff, I have no clue what you're talking about, but I might be interested, want to tell in
a version a dumb German might understand?

In 2008, California Proposition 8 was passed which eliminated the right of same-sex couples to get married. In 2010, after the Perry v. Schwarzenegger case, a CA district court judge ruled that it was unconstitutional, and today the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals (highest court before Supreme Court) upheld his ruling (although only in a 2-1 vote). This means that the case is now up for consideration to be rulde on by the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS).

Tracking drums through a trident desk and studer tape machine tomorrow <3