Your Top 2009 releases so far...

FIB= Fuckin Illinois Bastard

Whatever makes them feel better since the greater Chicagoland area single handly drives the Wisconsin economy via tourism dollars. :)

My comments towards Jason weren't confrontational at all so no need for him or anyone to think otherwise. My point was that I was surprised he didn't like NM as I would've guessed he'd be into them, that's all. No biggie.

I really like WoY clean vocals. Reminds me of Andrew from Sisters Of Mercy a bit, mixed with some Ville from Sentenced.

It's getting rapidly near the end of 2009, have you guys started to figure out exactly where your favorites of the year are placed? My number one is still Crack The Skye.

well, since you metioned it larry, hears my curent top five:
1. Mastodon-Crack the Skye, a more melodic mastodon does not mean a worse one, I actualy prefered it to blood moutain and remision, but leviathin is still my favorite by them. Undeniable brent hinds and his amzing guitar work is the star of this show. favorite songs: the whole disc
2. Cattle Decapitation-The Harvest Floor, Fast, heavy and suprisingly melodic. Trully a masterpiece, Travis Ryan is an amzing vocalist, actualy harmanizing his SCREAM with a cello on Regret and the Grave. Combind that with great guitar, curtecy of Josh Elmore, a powerfull bass, and some of the fastest drumming in the world, and you have some incredible stuff. Favorite song: Regret and the Grave
3. The Red Chord-Fed Through the Teeth Machine, The only thing holding this album back from being higher on the list is some filler. Even down to one guitarist, the red chord deliver, in spades. There are some truly incredible songs on hear. Favorite songs: Hour of Rats, Mouthfull of Preciouse Stones and Embaresment Legacy
4. Novembers Doom-Into Nights Requium Infernal, I don't think I need to explane this one.
5. Alice in Chains-Black Gives Way to Blue, So manny amzing death metal releases and I choose this. Well, this is hear because of what a happy surprise it was. I think every song on this disk is prime AIC, with the possible exception of cheak my brain, which felt a little to radio frendly for my taste. Its just so emotional and its really great to hear them making such a great comeback after the death of Layne. Favorite songs: Acid Buble, Black Gives Way to Blue and A Looking in View.

Honerable mentions include, Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Megadeth, These are They, and so many more...

Biggest surprise (good): new Alice in Chains
Biggest surprise (bad): new Slayer, not a bad album, just wasn't as good as I was expecting after megadeths fantastic realease.

they are a vegitarian death/grind band who had a pritty crappy start, but their last two albums were amazing. I still think they have a pritty crapy band name, but I was blown away by The Harvest Floor, my cousin picked it up for shits and gigles, but it ended up as his #1 and my #2, even their lyrics are actualy really good on this record, its mostly pro animal/anti human stuff, but in an inteligent way, not like back when they were genaric grincore spouting stuff like HUMANS SHOULD BE SLAUTERED LIKE COWS RAWR!!! The only lols worthy thing in their lyrics now is the song into the public bath, good song, but its actualy inspiered by the lead singers phobia of public pools, after haering that i chuckled at the lyrics.

Cattle are ok, they're new album is the only semi decent thing they've done. I quite like it.

most people I have shown Regret and the Grave to think its pritty awsome, The first time I heared the band it was one of their old song and i thought it sucked, the my cousin convinced to listed to the new album and I was like HOLY SHIT, THIS IS AWSOME!

Just my opinion. Also, just chose NM since I knew you were a fan. Just some friendly ball busting.
Understood and taken as such.

I can assume you've heard Godless Endeavor? Although I love the production on Dead Heart, I can see anyone being turned off by the production of the previous two discs. However, Godless Endeavor is just a sensational disc, and to my ear, their second best disc after Dreaming.

Zod

Understood and taken as such.

I can assume you've heard Godless Endeavor? Although I love the production on Dead Heart, I can see anyone being turned off by the production of the previous two discs. However, Godless Endeavor is just a sensational disc, and to my ear, their second best disc after Dreaming.

Zod

I have This Godless Endeavor.
It is definitely a LOT more solid than Enemies.
Maybe I need to revisit that album.
My opinion of NM first went south when Enemies came out.
It declined further after seeing them live for that album (on the Dummy Burger / NM / Children of Bodom tour).

Dreaming Neon Black and Dead Heart will always be appreciated by me regardless.

Mono
Blut Aus Nord
Shrinebuilder
Katatonia
Siena Root
Mournful Congregation
Urna
Stabat Mater
Gungfly
Aaaand the last one could go a number of ways - Isis, Teitanblood, Ulcerate, Grave Miasma, etc etc..

Think that's gonna be it..but like I said, this year kinda sucked in terms of producing anything mindblowing - despite a lot of good to pretty great albums.

Dreaming Neon Black, IMO, is the best thing Nevermore have ever done. I couldn't stand Dead Heart, nor Enemies when it was first released. After the Andy Sneap version hit shelves, I promptly got rid of my old copy, and found I enjoyed it far more.

Top 3 for '09:
1. Novembers Doom-INRI
2. Trans-Siberian Orchestra-Night Castle
3. Mastodon-Crack The Skye

Andy Sneap is producing the new Accept album, which I can't wait to hear. Wasn't sure abot not having Udo in the band, but I tracked down a copy of new singer Mark Tornillo's old band TT Quick's "Metal of Honor" cd and I think he's a great replacement, similar ballpark to Udo without being a clone. Hopefully the new Accept album will be in my top releases of 2010.:)

And as far as top releases of 2009, AC/DC's "Back Tracks" has to be in there. Just picked it up yesterday, and it's excellent. 1 cd of studio rarities, another of live rartities, and a dvd with all their promos from 1993 to the present, plus some rare Bon-era clips, which are excellent.

To be honest, I would happily have bought the whole album for the track "Cold Hearted man", which was on the original European pressing of "Powerage", which is my favourite AC/DC album by a country mile.

Considering how globally huge they are now, it's funny to think that the reason some of these tracks are rare is that the UK and US record companies rejected some of the bands early albums, or insisted on tracks being dropped or changed. The bands first UK / US release, "High Voltage", was a compilation of two Aussie albums, "High Voltage" and "TNT".

And the US versions of "Powerage" and "Let There Be Rock" were different to the Euro releases ("LTBR" in Europe had the song "Crabsody In Blue" which was replaced by "Problem Child" in the US, and "Powerage" lost the track "Cold Hearted Man").

Anyways, it's a great compilation, and it was exciting to hear some new Bon Scott-fronted tracks that I'd never heard before. And the live disc also has a couple of songs from "Flick Of The Switch", which is a hugely underrated album IMHO.

I have This Godless Endeavor.
It is definitely a LOT more solid than Enemies.
Maybe I need to revisit that album.
My opinion of NM first went south when Enemies came out.
It declined further after seeing them live for that album (on the Dummy Burger / NM / Children of Bodom tour).
Interesting. Not sure how closely you were following the band at this time. They were heading into the final disc (Enemies) of their record deal with CM. They wanted to go free agent and CM played hard ball. When it came time to record Enemies, CM cut their funding by two thirds, wouldn't let them use the studio they wanted or the producer (Sneap) they wanted. Consequently, they ended up recording the disc in Kelly Gray's house. CM also didn't step up with the tour support. I think the whole experience put the band in a real bad headspace. I suspect they were hoping to capitalize on the momentum of Dead Heart, and the record company decided to fuck them. I too saw a show on the Dimmu tour. It was hands down the worst of the nine Nevermore shows I've seen. However, I caught them twice in support of Godless and they were the two finest Nevermore performances I've ever seen.

Zod

Note: I have no clue how much of the information above is factual. As with all things in the industry, unless you're directly involved, it's impossible to know how much is rumor.

Zod - I have never paid enough attention to Nevermore to know about their contracts, and such. Never been THAT big of a fan to read those types of stories on them. Just going by what matters to me, the music and the live performance. As I said, I do think they rebounded nicely with This Godless Endeavor. To each his or her own. Just for me personally, this band is so far off my radar in the year 2009 that I highly doubt I would waste my time with a new album of theirs or going to see them live, unless they were on a bill with others I wanted to see.