Your Top 5 hardcore/metalcore Bands

You guys are listing some total shit. Norma Jean? The new Poison the Well? Terrible.

5 Good ones off the top of my head

Undying
PG 99
American Nightmare / Give up the Ghost
Tragedy
Between the Buried and Me

Moshpit said:
Godsmack
Disturbed
Killswitch Engage
godsmack are watered down grunge/Melodic AOR for door to doors salesman and water cooler technicians and the like

Disturbed are poppier melodic nu metal fronted by a the kind of guy who all the other goths avoided on fetish night

Killswitch Engage are at least a hardcore/metalcore band. an extremely commerical and shite one but at the very least they are one. those other two are nowhere near metalcore

is it just me or is having an avatar of moe from the simpsons a way of saying "im stupid"

oh and everyone avoid the new Avenged Sevenfold album. its so shite in comparision to the last one.

instead pick Antiworld by Length of time, which mixes metalcore with a strong Alice in chains/Life of Agony influnence. also check out a band called Fony used to be Mallcore but seemed to have turned good all of a sudden and Envy a Japanese band on Mogwais label who inhabit the expanse between post rock and metalcore

LuminousAether said:
The new Avenged Sevenfold is much better than the first,.
anyone who who claims that the sex pistols were pop punk, obivously knows shit about music.

sounding the seventh trumpet was an an album which took the best aspects of punk rock and meldoic death metal and melded them into an ablum oozing energy and melody.

on hearing eternal rest off waking the fallen, I was accosted with the worst example of shredding i have ever heard. add in some of the the most boring riffs ever put to a "metalcore" record (even the first korn album had better riffs) , a melody line that was so piss weak that it was probably savalged from under a urinal in Bristol, the fact that the vocalist had changed his growled vocals to make him sound like a cast member of will and grace if they ever took up growling and a fucking organ (organs have little place in metalcore)

all in all , its the sound of a band turning itself towards the mainstream to fill the void that the nu metal will leave when the kids finally get sick of it

The Sex Pistols were a mainstream media creation meant to appeal to a demographic which hadn't been mined as much before. They were on a major label, Warner or EMI I believe. They were mass marketed pap meant to appease the discerning tastes of burgeoning British anarchists. They weren't pop punk in sound, but in intent and form, they definitely were.

Converge are so intense that it will make most people uncomfortable.

I dont think Killswitch Engage are great but some of their songs I dig like that "Into The Unblind".

Avenged Sevenfold? They fucking suck. They do a shitty job trying to imitate At The Gates.

LuminousAether said:
The Sex Pistols were a mainstream media creation meant to appeal to a demographic which hadn't been mined as much before. They were on a major label, Warner or EMI I believe. They were mass marketed pap meant to appease the discerning tastes of burgeoning British anarchists. They weren't pop punk in sound, but in intent and form, they definitely were.

although they were a band created by their manager Malcolm McClaren to exploit the upcoming punk subculture, musically the pistols were part of the early punk movement (the damned, the vibrators) who just as influenced by RnB (in those days, raw rock n roll was called RnB) and bands like the who and the new york dolls as they were by the stooges and MC5. they were nowhere as near as poppy as contepmaries such as the clash, the ramones and the buzzcocks, so thus cannot be considered pop punk.

They're not all bands, but they've all made metal based hardcore...

The Bezerker
Disciples of Annihilation
Disciples of Belial
Noizecreator
and
Loftgroover made some decent metalcore under different names...