Your top five vocals...

Drynwhyl said:
What the heck?!
It seems that we have pretty much the same taste, at least concerning the vocalists. Believe it or not I would have listed the half of your bunch as well and I'm doing it right now =)
Here goes:

Jonas (Katatonia)
Maynard (Tool, A Perfect Circle)
Åkerfeldt (Opeth)
Tompa Lindberg (At the Gates)
Vincent Cavanagh (Anathema)

(but I have admiration for Pete Steele and Nick Holmes too ;) )

I'm not really into female vocalists, but I just love Anneke and Lisa Gerard!

EDIT: How could I forget Jeff :worship:

Yeah, not only that we both come from Munich, we seem to have really similar taste :lol: Tompa and Vincent are also great vocalists...As far as female vocalists are considered, there are really some awful female voices out there, just consider all these gothic bands....bands like Within Temptation or Xandria, they don`t really have bad songs, but why do they have to sing so high and so pathetic? Therefor I am thankful for bands like The Gathering, Lacuna Coil or Madder Mortem with great female vocals.....and Dead Can Dance is unbelievable anyway! :)

Dan Swanö (so versatile, emotional, unique and warm)

Eva Cassidy (she could sing everything, and everything was so beautiful :cry: )

Jonas Renkse (emotional and unique)

Michael Kiske (Helloween - hate me but he's a great singer)

Apart from this four I like both singers from Arena and I'm shure I forgot a lot of singers that I like.

too much singers i love, impossible to mention just five, here i go (sorry for fucking up the rules):

1.Layne Staley/Jerry Cantrell (awesome duo)
2.Maynard James Keenan (tool/apc)
3.Jeff Buckley
4.Jonas Renkse
5.Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
6.Mike Patton (Faith no More)
7.Warrel Dane (Nevermore)
8.Max Cavalera (Sepultura)
9.Robert Smith (The cure)
10.Jay Munly (Goth-Country singer)
11.Jeremy Enigk (in the last 2 Sunny Day Real Estate albums)
12.Rob Halford(Judas Priest)
13.Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree)
14.Bjork/ Morrissey

well thats weird, since this guy said he wsas honest b7 not putting jonas on his top 5, nobody have named jonas on the list, ha funny.

i said jonas, not for obligation, but because i like the way he sings, period.

Really hard to pick just five, so I'll catagorize:

Clean:
1.Bruce Dickinson (Maiden) _ for obvious reasons!
2.Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil)_ Angelic voice!
3.Warrel Dane (Nevermore)_ Strong, technical and emotional delivery
4.Sfinx (Ram-Zet)_ THE voice of insanity! (Recomanded band for Katatonia fans btw)
5.Jonas Renkse (Katatonia)_ for the unmatched and sheer sincerity in his delivery

Extreme:
1.Dan Swano (I'm not even gonna try to list all of his projects!)
2.Jon Nödtveidt (Dissection) _Somberlain and SOTLB
3.Per Yngve "Dead" Ohlin (Mayhem, Morbid)_ Anything he did in Mayhem is pretty much buried under the distortion but check out "Morbid" If u really wanna hear what this guy was capable of!
4.Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth, Bloodbath)
5.Tom Araya (Slayer)_he's not that good these days... but listen to "hell awaits" and bang thine head!

derbeder said:
Varg Vikernes (Burzum) - noone has done black metal screams quite like him

You're kidding right? Varg's are positively the most annoying, godawful, "cat-being-raped-by-a-horse" shriek-vocals I have ever heard in my life!
Now I actually enjoy Burzum's music for the most part but I really think that anything pre-Filosofem suffers in the vocals section

no i am actually serious about varg's vocals. it might be hard to get used to, and i sure can't blame anyone for not liking. but few other vocalists can give me chills. among black metal vocalists, i also like satyr, but he's nowhere near creating the same effect. wrest (leviathan, lurker of chalice) has a different style than varg in some respects; however, he creates a similar tortured atmosphere with both music and vocals that varg excelled at.
the cat-shrieks probably belong more to dani filth, i think.

jonas- katatonia
pete- type o negative
angela- arch enemy
anders- in flames
fernando- moonspell

:)

derbeder said:
no i am actually serious about varg's vocals. it might be hard to get used to, and i sure can't blame anyone for not liking. but few other vocalists can give me chills. among black metal vocalists, i also like satyr, but he's nowhere near creating the same effect. wrest (leviathan, lurker of chalice) has a different style than varg in some respects; however, he creates a similar tortured atmosphere with both music and vocals that varg excelled at.
the cat-shrieks probably belong more to dani filth, i think.

Mmm.... Yeah I guess I spoke too soon when I said he's the most annoying, Dani Flith is definitely much worse!!
Again it's a matter of taste... For example I think the whole "tortured vocals" think has been done much more effectively by Maniac on the "DeathCrush" album...

1. Layne Staley

2. Tomas Lindberg
3. Peter Tagtgren
4. Garm
5. Tim Williams

Others:

Chris Cornell, Mikael Akerfeldt, Mike Patton, Mikael Stanne, Anders Friden, Dan Swano.

MadTinus said:
I can't believe people actually mention Anders Fridén as one of their favourite vocalists.. He's what has sucked most about In Flames on the albums after Whoracle.
Man vocals in Clayman are incredible,don't shit about him...Have you seen him live,he can sing Morhing Into Primal just as in the record.Actually his clean vocals are pretty good too...

Clayman is a further decline after the already disappointing Colony, Fridén's attempt at clean singing on Clayman is a fucking laugh. His scream/screech has become worse over time as well, he sounds like his throat is being squeezed. He has lost a lot of power, cause he sounded just fine on DT's Skydancer and The Jester Race/Whoracle.

Though I must say on the last albums the clean vocals have somewhat improved, but he'll never be a good or exceptional singer, he'll always be the weak element of In Flames.