Yours to keep: A change in musical perspective

Manbient

Queer Old Man
Jan 12, 2002
Calgary, AB, Canada
www.bumblelovesmusic.com
Opeth is probably the single most important band to the development of my appreciation for music. Obviously many of you can relate, as I’ve seen in many of the threads on here, they do something special for nearly all of us. For me, Opeth presented a sound that was unlike anything I had ever heard. It was a melding of styles, but with such a unique twist to it all that it could only be undeniably Opeth. They will probably always be one of my favourite bands… but listening to the same albums repeatedly gets tiresome, we grow and change, and what we once loved just doesn’t grant the same experiences. What are we to learn that we can take with us as we move along? What has Opeth taught you about music you didn’t know how to look and listen for before you knew them?

The reason I bring this up is, I’ve grown a bit tired of the band. There’s only so many times I can listen to My Arms, Your Hearse before I don’t need to because the whole thing is stored in my head. It’s already there for playback if I want it. This WILL happen to you too if it hasn’t already, I promise… no saying when, but it always happens. Even the best music wears thin after so many repeated listens. The most important thing I’ve learned from the band actually comes from their first 2 albums. I know most of the newer fans don’t care much for Orchid or Morningrise, but there is something about those albums that Opeth never got right again. That thing is ATMOSPHERE. You could make a case against that, and I may concede the point, but Orchid and Morningrise have this introspective allure to them that I’ve never forgotten. How many of you have listened to these albums while drifting off to sleep? That is how I actually first got into Opeth. Listening to Morningrise on my headphones before bed one night when I was home alone. I fell asleep early on, and was slowly brought awake by the last 4 minutes of The Night & The Silent Water. By the whispering, I was pretty much laying there sweating. By the time the simple acoustic guitar outro hit, I was completely in a “zone”, one I’d never been in from music before. I laid there for the next 40 minutes completely captivated by what I was hearing, right to the end “why can’t you see that I tried, when every tear I shed is for you?”

That remains as one of my best musical experiences, completely unforgettable, and it was that night I started with my understanding of ambience and atmosphere. As cool as later releases are, there just isn’t the same depth of that particular feeling to them. I have been looking ever since that night to replicate and expand on that kind of feeling, and that was Opeth’s gift to me. Every once in a while there will be a band that does this to you and spurs you in directions you would never have imagined yourself going, and I think that is in some ways much more valuable than simply discovering a single band to adore. So, I want you to think about it for a moment, and explain what it is that Opeth has taught you. I want to know what it is that you were not aware was being done in music that Opeth has gotten you interested in, and where that has taken you (if it has for you yet).

Opeth was my introduction to death metal, and i'm glad for it. i do disagree with you on the finer points, but i see where you're going with this. i have yet to tire of any band.

Mumblefood said:
So, I want you to think about it for a moment, and explain what it is that Opeth has taught you. I want to know what it is that you were not aware was being done in music that Opeth has gotten you interested in, and where that has taken you (if it has for you yet).

To better explain myself, I visualize your explanation as such (no real truth, but just to paint a picture): Your musical life took you down a simple path. No real turns. Then you reached this intersection called Opeth. No longer did the road go straight, but musically you had a choice. The choice was obviously easy - take Opeth Blvd. That being said, you feel that blvd. has opened your eyes to a new musical world, one you never knew existed.

My Opeth experience comes from a slightly different perspective. Before and after Opeth, I always feel I was exploring new places with music. What Opeth did for me when I first heard them was bring into focus things around me I knew existed, but were blurry. Always being into the metal side of music, I grew up and lived through the entire careers of bands. Led Zeppelin, Anthrax, Exodus, Slayer, Metallica, just to name a few. Each band brought something to the table with me. I loved one band for this and another band for that. But then Opeth showed up. All of the sudden, many aspects music came together and completed something intangible. A band that could mix death growling, clean vocals, in your face style, clean and melodic guitar - all in one song. And a band that could consistently make 10+ minute songs that never seem long enough.

Finding Opeth has enlightened me to so many bands I had never knew existed before. My musical horizons absolutely grew. But I don't feel Opeth has taught me anything. Instead, I feel they have swept me like the pied piper into a wonderful musical listening experience. They consistently bring me to my knees. When I heard Ghost of Perdition (my now #1 favorite song by any band), I hadn't had that mesmerizing knee weakening pants creaming feeling since I heard The Drapery Falls. No other band I has EVER impacted my soul more than Opeth has, not even close. There are individual songs by other bands, and other bands I consider great. But Opeth is at a different level, a level I still don't fully understand. But it's a level I embrace and one I'm hard pressed to believe will be eclipsed.

And as far as getting tired of a band - well, for those bands I really love, I disagree. I've been a die hard Led Zeppelin fan since 1969, so in 36 years I have yet to turn Zep off or not listen to them. I don't see anything different with Opeth.

Opeth made me realise that prog rock wasn't a gay genre that old women liked, and this also led me to realise that I have a fucking cool mum.

Mumblefood, what an interesting and thought provoking thread!! ; )

Before I answer your post, I would like to say that I am sorry to hear that you are tiring of Opeth. I do realize that you obviously prefer their older material, but can you not embrace the newer elements that are within their latest release??

Which leads me to my answer...

That is one of the things that I love about this band. They are eclectic... not only a death metal band.... and what Opeth has done with music that has perked my interest is the amount of depth and soul they have. This, I find very hard to feel in bands these days. It's difficult for me to define "soul", but it is just simply something I feel when I hear it.

Damnation was the first album I heard from them and my first thoughts were... wow, there is like a 70's vibe thing going on here. And being that I grew up in the 70's, a feeling came over me that I haven't felt in years. How refreshing a moment that was.

After that, I explored their back catalog and slowly but surely was able to get accustomed to the death growls. I must admit, this is something that I was never used to but their musicianship overrode any negative feelings I had towards that at the moment. Now, I love both the beauty and the brutality in their music.

Also, after discovering bands like Opeth (and PT as well), I noticed that I have become a bit more picky with what I listen to. For me, it's very difficult for anyone to top these bands so I guess you can say that I have become more selective.

As for your other point in your topic, I understand that one can tire of a band after repeated listenings, but what I try to do is not listen to them every day.... no matter how much I want to. I try to break it up and listen to other music and/or just not listen to anything for a while and then go back into it later.

However, personally I think I will find it difficult for me to tire of Opeth because this band progresses a great deal. One album is so different from the next... look at GR... and now I'm wondering what will they come up with in their next release. They keep me on my toes.. and that is a good thing.

Well, I think that just about answers your question.

Because of Opeth I can't just listen to normal bands anymore - they need something unique about them because I know in songwriting skill nobody will ever match the likes of Opeth, PT, PoS or Swano.

MetalManCPA said:
To better explain myself, I visualize your explanation as such (no real truth, but just to paint a picture): Your musical life took you down a simple path. No real turns. Then you reached this intersection called Opeth. No longer did the road go straight, but musically you had a choice. The choice was obviously easy - take Opeth Blvd. That being said, you feel that blvd. has opened your eyes to a new musical world, one you never knew existed.

[snip]

And as far as getting tired of a band - well, for those bands I really love, I disagree. I've been a die hard Led Zeppelin fan since 1969, so in 36 years I have yet to turn Zep off or not listen to them. I don't see anything different with Opeth.

I guess i will have to take your word for it, MMCPA :p you do have a lot more experience when it comes to whether bands wear thin or not haha. I actually envy you for that. It's not that i grow to dislike bands i "used to" like, but rather i just don't get the same urge to listen to them. I start to like them more by rememberhing how they made me feel, than actually experiencing it again every time i listen.

You're pretty much right on the mark with the first paragraph. When i got to opeth, i started to feel things i didn't know music could make me feel, and i craved more of it. That particular feeling (that awe-inspiring beauty and sparseness found in the quieter moments of Orchid and Morningrise) was completely new for me, and it's become my favorite one to get from music. To be honest, i've found music which does it better, but Opeth was the one who started it all, and without them i'd never have even known about that street. I find that every band that truly blows me away teaches me something new about music and leads me down a new path. if i were to map out how my musical preferences evolved, it would seem pretty wacky to everyone else.

Mirrored Ghost said:
Mumblefood, what an interesting and thought provoking thread!! ; )

Before I answer your post, I would like to say that I am sorry to hear that you are tiring of Opeth. I do realize that you obviously prefer their older material, but can you not embrace the newer elements that are within their latest release??

[snip]

Also, after discovering bands like Opeth (and PT as well), I noticed that I have become a bit more picky with what I listen to. For me, it's very difficult for anyone to top these bands so I guess you can say that I have become more selective.

[snip]

However, personally I think I will find it difficult for me to tire of Opeth because this band progresses a great deal. One album is so different from the next... look at GR... and now I'm wondering what will they come up with in their next release. They keep me on my toes.. and that is a good thing.

Well, I think that just about answers your question.

Well, i haven't got Ghost Reveries yet. I'm going to get it this weekend probably. I downloaded it the day it leaked, and listened through twice. There was definitely a lot that i did enjoy a great deal (the first full clean section of GoP pretty much made my jaw drop), but i decided to delete it and wait to have my copy before listening. So i don't really have an opinion on the album yet. Though I didn't enjoy The Grand Conjuration that much... the song felt like it went nowhere, and one of the things i like most about Opeth is how the songs progress, move, and change. I'm sure i will like the album, there's no Opeth album that i don't like, though the 2 before GR (especially Deliverance) seemed to be missing so much of what i like about them. Basically, i like the first 2 albums for different reasons than i like the next 3. I'm not really looking for only one thing out of Opeth which they themselves aren't interested in doing and consequently isn't prevalent on later releases... that would be foolish.

Getting more selective definitely happened to me too. It's a bit of a strange phenomena really... i look at it this way. My tolerance for other genres went WAY up, and my tastes went much broader than before... but at the same time, i became much more picky about what it was i liked about each of the genre's i enjoy. lets say, for example, Instead of liking 300 metal bands and nothing else, i went to liking 20 metal bands, 10 classical composers, 12 ambient artists, 6 jazz musicians, etc... It was like i felt i just didn't have time to listen to stuff in the style i liked if it wasn't the very best. No point in listening to a not-quite-as-good version of another metal band i liked, which used to be fine for me since i didn't have other stuff to spend time getting to know and listen to.

I love Ghost Reveries, it is amazing compared to anything else around today, but compared to Morningrise it isn't as good at all. I agree with the threadstarter, great thread.

Ghost Reveries is one of the greatest things on earth compared to the Golden Girls, but comapared to enternal salvation it sucks.