Musical activities

I play Guitar and drums. Guitar is my love but i have a blast playing Drums. I use to play guitar in a Hardcore/Deathmetal/punk band here in Nashville called Social Animosity, we were doing ok, had a great review in Metal Maniacs Firing Squad but we just weren't doing anything new and called it quits.
Now i play drums in a grindcore hardcore punk (short songs) type of band called G.U.N. But i really want to play guitar in a Clean Vocal type of Doom Metal band influenced by Anathema, My Dying Bride. Katatonia kind of stuff with a dash of At the gates melodic metal feel to it. I think i can do it :)
if anyone lives anywhere near Nashville and is interested get in touch.
until then,
Jay

So, I can gleefully believe my initial supposition was not entirely false. There is quite a big number of musically active people on this board! It is really of no matter whether or not one is actually a virtuoso whatsoever as long as the musical activity fulfills those inmost desires to do something linked to the matter. (Also, all subsequent evaluation and criticism should always be subject to the aforementioned; different people have certainly different goals with whatever they do in the realm of music. This may be a different topic, but interesting nevertheless.)

Originally posted by Hannu Mutanen
So, I can gleefully believe my initial supposition was not entirely false. There is quite a big number of musically active people on this board! It is really of no matter whether or not one is actually a virtuoso whatsoever as long as the musical activity fulfills those inmost desires to do something linked to the matter. (Also, all subsequent evaluation and criticism should always be subject to the aforementioned; different people have certainly different goals with whatever they do in the realm of music. This may be a different topic, but interesting nevertheless.)
all very true.

Orchid: "A world beyond" kuulostaa erittäin lupaavalta. Or shall we speak/write in English? I can hear the Opeth influence in there. Which is by no means bad. Generally, it is delightful to discover promising acts emerging from the murky underground of Finland.

English or Finnish, either way is good. I think we ought to respect the other board readers who might possibly be interested in reading this (rrriiiight.. :lol: ) and thus stick to English. ;)

Thank you for the weekly self-respect fix. :heh:

"World Beyond" is really Opeth-esque, yeah, but it's not the style the first Thales album is going to be. It was just something I wrote together with Jani (the other of our guitarists) while Lasse was in the army. We experimented with a lot of song structures and styles, ranging from Dimmu Borgir to Opeth via Dark Tranquillity, In Flames and Nightwish, so... it was nothing but a result of casual jamming. In Thales my role is to learn to play drums so I don't have any time to contribute to the songwriting these days, which I find goddamn frustrating from time to time. :(

Menköön tämä vielä suomeksi, sitten saa riittää. :)

Taitava kosketinsoittaja on haussa, vaikkemme luultavasti ota lisää vakijäseniä. Meillä on myös sellisti, ja tämän lisäksi etsimme myös viulistia. Tämä pakottaa minut osaltaan opiskelemaan teoriaa, sillä olisi mieluisaa, jos kappaleiden sovitukset voisi esittää soittajille nuotinnetuina. Siinäpä projekti, jota hieman olen jo aloitellutkin.

Vai niin, teillähän on mielenkiintoinen sekoitus sitten. Heh, sellisti ja kenties viulisti estänevät pahimman ryttäyksen? ;)

Minä vedän vieläkin sooloja ja sweepit ovat juuri harjoittelun alla, ja on mukavaa voidessaan todeta osaavansa sooloilla kohtalaisen hyvin ilman muuta opiskelua kuin se, että ottaa kitaran ja soittaa mitä mieleen juolahtaa. (Ollakseni virtuoosi minun tulisi mennä opiskelemaan soittotekniikkaa jne. mutta kysymys onkin se, haluanko olla virtuoosi ja viedä aikaa muilta tärkeiltä asioilta elämässäni. Vastaus on: en.) Parastahan on käyttää erikoisia kikkoja nimeenomaan säveltäessä ja tämän takia soolot ovat kappaleiden osina sellaisia, etten hirveästi niitä halua käyttää. Se minua Bodomissa tavallaan häiritsee, että kappaleet ovat simppeleitä ja soolot todella teknisiä. Tämä näkyy oikeastaan kaikessa, mitä A. Laiho tekee, eikä se tyyli miellytä minua. Tylsää ryttäyskappaletta ei pelasteta hurjalla soololla, vaan siinä menee soolon arvo huonon kappaleen mukana viemäristä alas.

Niin. Olen kyllä "oikea soolo oikeassa paikassa" -periaatteen kannattaja. Parhaimmillaan, sooloa ei voita mikään.

Toki voisin lurauttaa jossain biisissä, mutten koe päivittäisiä sorminäppäryysharjoituksia vaivan arvoisiksi, eivätkä nopeat soolot sitäpaitsi sopine omiin biiseihini. Improvisaatiotaitoa olisi silti turha heittää hukkaan, joten eiköhän joku hitaampi soolo löydä joskus tiensä johonkin.

Originally posted by Vortex
Menköön tämä vielä suomeksi, sitten saa riittää. :)

Vai niin, teillähän on mielenkiintoinen sekoitus sitten. Heh, sellisti ja kenties viulisti estänevät pahimman ryttäyksen? ;)

Niin. Olen kyllä "oikea soolo oikeassa paikassa" -periaatteen kannattaja. Parhaimmillaan, sooloa ei voita mikään.

Toki voisin lurauttaa jossain biisissä, mutten koe päivittäisiä sorminäppäryysharjoituksia vaivan arvoisiksi, eivätkä nopeat soolot sitäpaitsi sopine omiin biiseihini. Improvisaatiotaitoa olisi silti turha heittää hukkaan, joten eiköhän joku hitaampi soolo löydä joskus tiensä johonkin.

mfoish oksnvij n d fndjhnfoid snlknf nfahnof hjfveshn hjnfioensaoi hfn voinhc fvyfgav che nnoi s fkuh nfonooin fvoienofoi -

Anyways - it all looks greek (or danish/finnish etc.) to me :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by metalmancpa

mfoish oksnvij n d fndjhnfoid snlknf nfahnof hjfveshn hjnfioensaoi hfn voinhc fvyfgav che nnoi s fkuh nfonooin fvoienofoi -

Anyways - it all looks greek (or danish/finnish etc.) to me :lol: :lol:

LOL...anyway, my first line in that message translates as something like "This will be the last one in Finnish, then that's it!".

Of course, if you'd like to enjoy our beautiful language more I can go on. ;)

i play drums ( about 3 years) and i play guitar (about 5 or 6 years). Ive been in bands and i have a shit band right now. i dont even like to call it a band since we havent done anything.