A Musical Revolution is Upon Us

Asmondai

Black Eyed
During the height of the musical revolution of the 60`s some of the greatest musical innovators of the time created music that used complex harmonies and arrangements to provoke emotional outlets in the audience. Two of the most important releases that was part of this trend was "The Beatles - Rubber Soul" (1965) and "Beach Boys - Pet Sounds" (1966). This was part of much of both the mainstream and underground music for the rest of the decade, until members of the group King Crimson brought it to true life with the releases "In the Court of the Crimson King" (1969) and "McDonald and Giles" (1971) and progressive rock was born.

The bands that followed this trend were the ones to take the rock music to new levels of artistic credibility and passion through the first half of the decade to come. By the mid-'70s, a backlash was beginning to set in; prog-rock sometimes mistook bombast for majesty, and its far-reaching ambition and concern with artistic legitimacy could make for overblown, pretentious music. Its heyday soon came to an end with the advent of punk, which explicitly repudiated prog's excesses and aimed to return rock & roll to its immediate.

Not much truly innovative music of any kind was made during the 80`s. The alternative rock evolving into more and more extreme metal, and the commercial pop degenerating into simpler and simpler music, until passion and creativity was almost lost, and replaced with lust for money, simplicity and sex-appeal.

Death Metal grew out of the thrash metal in the late '80s. Taking the gritty lyrics and morbid obsessions of thrash to extremes, death metal was — as its name suggests — solely about death, pain, and suffering. These relentlessly bleak lyrics were set to loud, heavy riffs that owed as much to the lumbering metal of Black Sabbath as it did to Metallica. By this time the metal had been taken too such extremes that even most of the underground musicians saw that there was little point in hitting their instruments any faster, and set to work making metal more melodic and complex. Opeth was one of these bands.

In 1999 Opeth released their 4th observation, called "Still Life", a formidable splicing of harsh, often jagged guitar riffs with graceful melodies that was equally a product of their death metal roots and the progressive rock of the early- and mid -70`s. With this release they introduced to the world a formidable mixture of the sheer intensity of death metal and the passion of the early prog-rock, that was bound to cause an incredible flow of emotions in anyone able to sit down and truly listen to the music. The unique Opeth - sound was born, and they have been striving ever since to take this sound closer to perfection. With the release of Deliverance\Damnation in 2002\2003 they created a gateway for the fans of death metal to the the world of prog-rock and vice versa, thus helping many people on the way to experience the true passion of their unique sound. Opeth is without a doubt the one truly innovative metal act of the new millenium.

In 2003 Farmakon released their debut "A Warm Glimpse", and they were the first band to absorb the opeth-sound and make it their own. They planted groove, funk, jazz and weird noises in their music, thus creating something that would be embraced and loved by the fans that sought the flow of emotions that Opeth gave them, and at the same time loathed by the "mainstream" metal community for the strangeness of the music.
Other bands are bound to show up and rock the metal scene in the the time to come, introducing us to an era of innovation not seen since the early 70`s

A Musical Revolution is at hand
It began in 1999

Cool......but I sorta hope that this revolution doesn't happen, so that the little teeny boppers dont start killing my favorite bands, one of them being Opeth.

Saying that purely these two bands you mentioned are leading the so-called 'revolution' is pretty naive... there are many more bands out there that led to this point, and which shaped the scene of metal as it is today.

Also, it started in 1999? Why? Because you like Still Life? No, my friend, Opeth truly started in the early nineties, when they first discovered their melodic style. Credit needs to be given to Porcupine Tree, Camel and various other death/prog/rock bands that inspired the Opeth sound to this degree. I really don't think that there's anything revolutionary about Still Life... or Opeth in general. It's just purely good music that blends or defies styles, nothing more, nothing less.

So if you'll use this merging of genres as the main trait to define this new 'revolution' you would also need to mention bands such as Ulver, Maudlin of the Well, Edge of Sanity (Crimson made at the same time as Orchid, large similarities in the sound of the music) and of course there is many, many more.

I am talking about a revolution in the quality of the music that I believe will come in this decade... Of Course the currents have been in the 90`s in many different styles, and much of it will be incorperated... It won`t necessarily mean that opeth will be known to more people, but they will be remembered in the future as something greater than they were when they were active.

It`s not that I like Still Life particulary much, this is not based on my personal preferences... The point is that this is were they merged the death metal and the prog rock in equal measures, and by doing this they started something new.. Well I can`t really explain it any better than I already have

"The bands that followed this trend were the ones to take the rock music to new levels of artistic credibility and passion through the first half of the decade to come." I would like to claim that is to give credit to camel, caravan and the other prog outfits of the 70`s

Steven Wilson is very important in all this.. He himself is worried about the creativity and passion of music being lost (that is evident in several of his texts), and he immidiately took contact with Opeth when they released "Still Life", coincidence??

The merging of trends is not in itself the issue.. The point is creating music that can provoke such powerful emotions, by combining the intensity of the death metal and the passion of the prog-rock... I`m sorry I have to repeat myself, but I can`t say it any better than I already have, and you guys don`t seem to get the point...

What makes the music unique is that the flow (progression) of the prog rock creates similar flows of emotion in the ardent listener, and by combining this with bleak lyrics and intense metal riffs you get an emotional impact that has not been equalled since the 70`s.. The effects of this breakthrough will echo all over this decade...

Asmondai said:
No, there are no other metal groups that will bring forth your own emotions to the same degree as Opeth. Name a few so I can laugh at your suggestions....
Edge of Sanity's crimson did it for me ...... you can't tell people that there are no other metal groups that will bring forth your own emotions as well as or better than Opeth ... it's your fucking opinion on music dude. My depressed state is extremely different than yours or anyone else's I would hope .. we live different lives and listen to different types of music asshole. You need to adapt some logic to that brain you've got there. Opeth are good but there are a hundred bands that blow them away in many other ways .... like someone said before - Tool couldn't pull off The moor like Opeth couldn't pull off Lateralis to justice.....

You should spend some time pondering how to think rather than what to think

Music is without a doubt a very subjective thing, but I tried to base this not on my own views but on simple fact. I find that opeth has developed a mix that is truly innovative and powerful, and that nothing today can compare to this impact. To have such an impact on the metal world you have to be big enough to get attention from the rest of the community, something that can not be said of Novembre, Edge of Sanity simply doesn`t have the quality required, even if they move you to such a degree.
Opeth`s impact is most important to next generation of musicians, those who have had their entire development influenced by the Opeth-sound, this will be evident in this decade.

"You should spend some time pondering how to think rather than what to think"
Wow, that`s so fucking true