A Musical Revolution is Upon Us

hmmm, i'd have to say "not really". the 60's musical revolution was technological, as is the current musical revolution. nothing new was done musically that wasn't done before. in fact, many avante garde composers believe that by the early 60's all avenues of music in the west had exhausted themselves; the only recourse would be to adopt other musical systems such as the indian model, or invent a new tonality from the ground up. at any rate, the advent of the digital revolution has brought a huge slew of opportunities for music. these have been siezed mostly by recordists and not really by those wishing to create new, unique, and unheard of tones using computers.

the alumnus said:
hmmm, i'd have to say "not really". the 60's musical revolution was technological, as is the current musical revolution. nothing new was done musically that wasn't done before. in fact, many avante garde composers believe that by the early 60's all avenues of music in the west had exhausted themselves; the only recourse would be to adopt other musical systems such as the indian model, or invent a new tonality from the ground up. at any rate, the advent of the digital revolution has brought a huge slew of opportunities for music. these have been siezed mostly by recordists and not really by those wishing to create new, unique, and unheard of tones using computers.
For sure....
I find radiohead have put the advantage of technology to use (thanks to Thom Yorke) ... they have thousands in computer designed shit ... id love to fuck with it all hahahah

Asmondai said:
No, there are no other metal groups that will bring forth your own emotions to the same degree as Opeth. Name a few so I can laugh at your suggestions....

Maudlin of the Well. Seriously, they poop on Opeth. Why can't people see ever seem to see this? I don't think you could really give me any reasons that would change my mind.

Also, there are many bands that are just as good as Opeth, but create different moods, and work in a different way. Being so adamant about Opeth being the best is just arrogant wankery...there's nothing I hate more than people who are so OBSESSED with a band that they look down on ALL other music...I know some Tool fans who are like this, and Opeth seems to have a few fans that think similarly. Maybe you should try and prove me wrong, but that's the blind fanboy vibe your posts are giving me.

I think Maudlin is far and away superior to Opeth in almost every aspect, and most other bands, and yet this is only my opinion. There are other bands out there that *may* be better (although that's hard to visualise, I like them so much), but Maudlin does it for me like no other.

Opeth may be the band to start the 'revolution' (Only maybe though, not really seeing that, they are more like an important link on the chain of the progression of metal rather than the turning point, imo)...but Maudlin of the Well is the sublime, artistically startling underground gem.

In my opinion no metal band can compare to Opeth, but I`m not a metal expert. I had never heard of Muadlin of the Well, Novembre or Agolloch, and I have ordered cd`s from all of them. Of all the metal I`ve listened to, nothing can even be compared to Opeth without insulting them. To find music that can touch me i a way even resembling Opeth, I have had to search far and wide in many different genres. In fact, when I discovered Opeth I had more or less stopped listening to metal (even though this is where my heart truly lies) and moved on to music that could reach inside me instead of just being cool sounds.
When I started this thread I had a "revelation" of a sort, suddently knowing why I felt like I did about the terrible pop-music, and seeing the progression of music since the 60`s more clearly than ever. To state Opeth as the sole band responsible for the development of the 90`s was narrowminded and stupid of me, but I just had to write down what I felt, and what better place to do it than an Opeth forum? Also, I have willingly been provoking you in the hope of getting replies that I could learn from, and that I have...

Asmondai said:
Not much truly innovative music of any kind was made during the 80`s. The alternative rock evolving into more and more extreme metal, and the commercial pop degenerating into simpler and simpler music, until passion and creativity was almost lost, and replaced with lust for money, simplicity and sex-appeal.
I completely disagree with this statement. The Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, The Talking Heads, Husker Du, Sonic Youth, Minor Threat, King Crimson and countless heavy metal acts all made great, innovative music during the 80s. To generalize an era without considering its innovations is ignorant.

Death Metal grew out of the thrash metal in the late '80s. Taking the gritty lyrics and morbid obsessions of thrash to extremes, death metal was — as its name suggests — solely about death, pain, and suffering. These relentlessly bleak lyrics were set to loud, heavy riffs that owed as much to the lumbering metal of Black Sabbath as it did to Metallica. By this time the metal had been taken too such extremes that even most of the underground musicians saw that there was little point in hitting their instruments any faster, and set to work making metal more melodic and complex. Opeth was one of these bands.
This happened long before Opeth. Atheist, Death, Suffocation, Nocturnus, and other such bands were making complex DM long before Opeth was and including quite a bit of melody while doing so. These artists (and most death metal actually) did not simply "hit their instruments faster".

A Musical Revolution is at hand
It began in 1999
You're only listing two bands really. Opeth released their debut around 1995 (and their "signature" sound that they use now really started around MAYH/Morningrise). Not to mention Opeth linked prog rock and death metal long before the two new releases, in fact the two were separated for the new releases (a lighter prog record and a heavier "death metal" record). And how is Opeth "loathed" by the mainstream metal community? They've become (relatively of course) critical darlings getting airplay and articles from mainstream media.

Asmondai said:
In my opinion no metal band can compare to Opeth, but I`m not a metal expert. I had never heard of Muadlin of the Well, Novembre or Agolloch, and I have ordered cd`s from all of them. Of all the metal I`ve listened to, nothing can even be compared to Opeth without insulting them. To find music that can touch me i a way even resembling Opeth, I have had to search far and wide in many different genres. In fact, when I discovered Opeth I had more or less stopped listening to metal (even though this is where my heart truly lies) and moved on to music that could reach inside me instead of just being cool sounds.
Maudlin and Agalloch are both BRILLIANT bands, and I probably enjoy both of them even more than Opeth...they give off a different vibe than each other and Opeth though. I heartily recommend Maudlin of the Well...some think they are muddled or lame or something, but to me they are just the tops. They are like a mega-artistic version of Opeth that is more orientated on exploring moods and atmospheres through diverse instrumentation, and I've found little that can compare since discovering them.

However, Opeth have a special place in my heart too. I thought all metal was uttter shit, and then I heard Opeth. Whoa, such amazing music. If it wasn't for them I'd still be stuck in a musical rut, now my tastes are extremely varied (if I say so myself) and satisfying and Opeth is the band I have to thank. They opened my eyes to the diversity of real metal. Not just metal that is brutal or angry, but artstic, varied, epic and emotional...bands like Maudlin, Agalloch, Ulver, Arcturus, Moonsorrow, Katatonia, Anathema, Sigh, Emperor, and many others. All of these bands are more than just 'cool sounds'. It may take a while until you find music as great as Opeth, but don't abandon metal, it still has a wealth of amazing bands often overlooked and neglected. Maudlin and Agalloch both SERIOUSLY deserve your attention, as does the Japanese progressive metal band Sigh...oh, and Dissection. :p

Hope this post helps in showing you even more great stuff in the same vein of the awesomeness of Opeth. :)

When I started this thread I had a "revelation" of a sort, suddently knowing why I felt like I did about the terrible pop-music, and seeing the progression of music since the 60`s more clearly than ever. To state Opeth as the sole band responsible for the development of the 90`s was narrowminded and stupid of me, but I just had to write down what I felt, and what better place to do it than an Opeth forum? Also, I have willingly been provoking you in the hope of getting replies that I could learn from, and that I have...
Man, Opeth did the same thing to me. Everything else was suddenly completely shit compared to them, even Tool. I suddenly thought of all the great stuff I was missing out on by ignoring metal, and discovered great bands and genres that Opeth opened my eyes to. They aren't my favourite band anymore, but they will always be special to me and I enjoy putting em on everynow and then. :cool: You will feel that Opeth are the be all and end all until you get an ear-full of some of these other artistically kickass groups, I hope. :D

Hmm. Listening to some mp3s off the Farmakon site. it's not bad, actually. i can see quite a bit of an Opeth influence in parts, but seem to take things a lot more extreme (varied vocal styles, faster, more pounding riffs, surprising elements of different genres of music). thanks! i think i'll be buying their cd asap.

but still, so far not many bands have appealed to me AS strongly as Opeth. probably because Opeth just happens to be my style, and not to say they are any 'better' than other bands - i dont believe there is such thing as better or worse - just different.

i have received the impression that this 'revolution' of music is heading towards bands that combine all sorts of different styles and techniques throughout their music whilst exhausting as much emotion as possible. well hey, i dont have a problem with that, i like it, but i dont think it's worth to be called a revolution. a revolution would be for all mainstream listeners to become aware of such 'deeper' music, which will never happen. (uh, well not for a long, long ,long time.) in other words, that would mean metal would be the new pop (hence the meaning of pop = popular music), which is an illogical thought. Pop is music that generally does not require heavy thinking.

I listen to those bands being mentioned like Agalloch, Novembre, Daylight Dies(I haven't heard this being mentioned) I haven't heard any Maudlin of the Well and Farmakon(well I'm downloading samples for now).
I love Novembre, Agalloch, but they just don't hit me as hard as Opeth did and never will. Opeth opened a new scope of metal for me, I started looking for "avant garde" or "different" metal. I looked into Cynic, Arcturus, Atheist, Thales, Ephel Duath, Soul Forlorn, ThanatoSchiz0(btw a very good Portugese band). The only band that actually caught my ear was Cynic.

But anyway, as I was saying. Opeth just hit my emotions hard with the way they combine acoustic melody with crushing riffs, and to me with Agalloch and Novembre were like "been there, done that".

It's just my opinion, I still like Agalloch and Novembre though. I just like Opeth way more :)

So you're saying that once Opeth abandoned their wandering song styles of the first three albums, and started using a verse/chorus structure, something that's been around since the beginning of time, that's revolutionary?