Other than metal

shark22 said:
Plus, I cannot listen to growled vocals with a straight face (laugh at it everytime) no matter who it is.
I'm like that too, EXCEPT Mike Akerfeldt. And Anders' growls on In Flames' old albums.

But yeah, this is what I was saying before...I really like the heavy parts, they're awesome to listen to, but the parts of Opeth songs that really move me and make me love the band are the soft parts. The little "oooh" parts on The Moor before the "outcast with dogmas forged below" part blasts out...the acoustic parts of Godhead's Lament...the intro of The Drapery Falls...A Fair Judgement...To Rid the Disease...the middle of Master's Apprentices...Isolation Years...and of course every acoustic passage on Morningrise...THOSE are the parts that make me love Opeth. I could s tand a whole album of music like that, but I don't know if I could handle a whole album of songs like Wreath.

i grew up a country girl myself, and then a friend sent me drapery falls and i fell in love. its mostly the harsh contrasts between the mellow and heavier parts and the clean and growled vocals that i love most. its really disjointed and the lyrics follow the same pattern. i love it.

the growls used to be the worst thing about opeth for me, but as my taste changed in music, i realised it was probably the best way to express intensity vocally. as for the mellow, parts, they were the thing that got me into opeth (harvest, damnation) and i still love them. but again, as my taste in music grew up, i started to appreciate the heavier parts to the extent where i dont care if its heavy or mellow, as long as its opeth:)