Upcoming Album... Anyone worried?

I don't know, to me its a good way to get a feel for the album without hearing too much. What they did last year was cool, except having all of Ghost of Perdition and The Grand Conjuration almost killed the songs before the album came out. To me the sampler is a nice balance of hearing new stuff without overhearing.

agreed. but imo not such a big sampler like porcupine tree does. i like to be suprised when i hear an album, especially from opeth. perhaps put in 10-15 seconds of each song, just enough to hear the quality of the allbum, etc.

the sampler from the new PT album really sucked imo ... the constant shifting from song to song, it sounded so incredibly incoherent (of course) ... the same goes for the sampler of the new PT EP. you hear like a couple of seconds of music, how can that give a real impression? just imagine you get a sampler of morningrise, and you hear a grunt about 7 times, you hear a solo 5 times and you hear some fragments of soft parts 5 times, in a random way! how can that give an impression of the atmosphere of the album?? and it is totally incoherent, it is just noise ... perhaps for bands with short easy songs, it is useful, because there you can hear the melody of every song. but not for bands with elaborate compositions.

besides, why should they even release a sample of the new album before it comes out??? hearing Grand Conjuration before the album came out, didn't really get me more excited or anything. the only thing it did was that during that song on the album, I couldn't be surprised anymore.
No, no more samples or songs before the albums comes out please!

I'm not worried anymore, I'm bound to be disapointed. Sure Mikael is an amazing musician and songwriter, however I'm not intrested in the death metal equivalent of say Billy Corgan's Smashing Pumpkins. So you Opeth fanboys can continue to suck Mikael's cock. I'm not going to. Fuck Opeth, it has become a fucking dictatorship.

I'm not worried anymore, I'm bound to be disapointed. Sure Mikael is an amazing musician and songwriter, however I'm not intrested in the death metal equivalent of say Billy Corgan's Smashing Pumpkins. So you Opeth fanboys can continue to suck Mikael's cock. I'm not going to. Fuck Opeth, it has become a fucking dictatorship.

As if anything has really changed in the past 15 or so years to make that statement matter.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ah. yeah quite the singing part he had on deliverance lolwtf

Yeah..what the fuck. That part of the song sounds great and you would never even notice the back up vocals unless you watched the concert DVD documentary. Have you guys really run out of topics to rape here? They should change the meaning of "overcritical" to Opeth fans. Get a life.

the sampler from the new PT album really sucked imo ... the constant shifting from song to song, it sounded so incredibly incoherent (of course) ... the same goes for the sampler of the new PT EP. you hear like a couple of seconds of music, how can that give a real impression? just imagine you get a sampler of morningrise, and you hear a grunt about 7 times, you hear a solo 5 times and you hear some fragments of soft parts 5 times, in a random way! how can that give an impression of the atmosphere of the album?? and it is totally incoherent, it is just noise ... perhaps for bands with short easy songs, it is useful, because there you can hear the melody of every song. but not for bands with elaborate compositions.

besides, why should they even release a sample of the new album before it comes out??? hearing Grand Conjuration before the album came out, didn't really get me more excited or anything. the only thing it did was that during that song on the album, I couldn't be surprised anymore.
No, no more samples or songs before the albums comes out please!

I think you're thinking too much about samples, if that makes any sense. If it doesn't give you an impression of the atmosphere of the album, then good...more surprises! And then there's always of the obvious option of not listening to the samplers in the first place. They're cool for some people who might want to get a feel of a band or a particular album sounds like before buying it, or want some anticipation alleviated. I'm not disagreeing with you or anything. IMO, Porcupine Tree's compositions aren't too complicated; in fact, I agree that the FoaBP sampler was too comprehensive; they just compiled all the best parts of the album (chorus/heavy parts/melodies) and when I actually bought the album, a lot of the surprise was gone.

Smashing Pumpkins are very overrated IMO. I dont see how you can call the band a dictatorship either. Did you personally talk to the rest of the band members and have them tell you that Mike forbids them to play anything that he tells them not to? And makes them wear tracking collars so that they cant leave the studio till the album is done or else their heads will explode if they cross the perimeter set up like in The Running Man?For example if you look at the way Martin Mendez plays its very much the opposite of what you are saying. Mendez goes out and plays his basslines with different variations all the time, I dont think a so called musical Mussolini would let the bass player deviate from the original plan. Whats next you are gonna to call Steve Harris the dictator of Iron Maiden? Primary song writer does not = Dictator. If you wanna a real pair of musical dictators. you should be accusing Lars and James of Metallica, they wouldnt let Newstead in the mix nor let him do any side project work, now thats some serious control right there.

okay, fine, bye.

I think you're thinking too much about samples, if that makes any sense. If it doesn't give you an impression of the atmosphere of the album, then good...more surprises! And then there's always of the obvious option of not listening to the samplers in the first place. They're cool for some people who might want to get a feel of a band or a particular album sounds like before buying it, or want some anticipation alleviated. I'm not disagreeing with you or anything. IMO, Porcupine Tree's compositions aren't too complicated; in fact, I agree that the FoaBP sampler was too comprehensive; they just compiled all the best parts of the album (chorus/heavy parts/melodies) and when I actually bought the album, a lot of the surprise was gone.

yeah, I was simply responding to the question what someone wouldn't like about samples ... of course I could simply not listen, but still, when something new by a band you love is available, it is hard to withstand the urge to listen to it.
oh well, you can enjoy it all you want, I was simply saying what I don't like about it.

and actually after hearing the sample for FoaBP, the album was still a big surprise, because really, that sample was too chaotic and random.

you idiots complaining about Mike being the sole writer in Opeth might aswell stop listening to Camel, Black Sabbath, King Crimson, Iron Maiden, Burzum, Bathory, Porcupine Tree, and many other bands.

Mike didnt ask Lopez to have health issues
Mike didnt ask Peter to persue another life style

Mike is Opeth, and has been Opeth since the band formed around him. So before you nimrods start saying mike is running a dictatorship, or whatever. Think about what your saying. Mike didnt want his band members to leave. If you become a member of Opeth you know that Mike is the main songwriter, so a blunt of the ideas come from him. But can gartunee that Mikes not locking the guys up like one person is saying. If someone comes to mike with a sweet riff, or a cool idea im sure mike looks at it in the context of a song. Hell Steven Wilson who isnt even a member of Opeth thought of the cool melody section in The Drapery Falls, and you assume that mikes not gonna take a cool idea from fredric? lol @ that

wow samplers r so dumb cuz i listened to faobp pt sampler like 50 times and when idownloaded the album off demonoid i was like wtf these songs are the exact same songs as on the dsampler :headbang:

dont leave! your name is a track on the new album! its like a fucking remix of the 2 clazzicz!!

hell,pretty much every band which has released at least more than five records has done one album that is a little weak.But IF the next one would be one of those i wouldnt be that worried about opeth´s future.Åkerfeldt was meant to do this!

I'm anticipating hearing it, not all that worried as it's gonna be very interesting to hear what the new members are gonna bring in and how their styles will change the Opeth sound. Akerfeldts at the helm so it's all good ;)

Mike's solos get old, as most of them use the same formulas and actually a lot of the same part repeated in almost every solo he does... What was special about Peter is that he added that extra dynamic, and his solos were always pretty fresh. I couldn't pin a formula on him for the most part. But seeing as how Mr. A-with-a-circle-over-it was in Arch Enemy, he should be able to pull out some great shredding solos.... but as for the emotion in solos of Opeth, I don't know if we'll see too much of that anymores... At this point if Mike tried doing blues solos again like on Hours of Wealth, they would just sound recycled... Not trying to bash the guy as he's a very competent musician, he just doesn't have the best solo style.

And that's all I've got to say about that...

i have to say i really dont agree as much as i liked peters soloing style i much prefer Mikaels i just really like the way he phrases his solos with all the slides ect the second solo in Deliverance being one of my favourite of his and as he begins and ends that solo perfectly :worship:. I dont really think that it is fair judgement imo if Mikeal did decide to add another bluesey solo it would sound fine because i really enjoy that side of his playing and i think he does it very well....

I wouldn't worry with a few new members in Opeth. The remaining members of Opeth and Mikael have made very confident and conscious decisions. They wouldn't just add a member without feeling a sense of compatibility. If there is a change in musical direction, it would of been enevitable anyways. Opeth has always put out the highest quality of music I've ever heard. I can't really compare opeth to other bands because they clearily arent like other bands. Opeth is a pivot point to me, a true balance between hard and soft yet still sustain their creative desires from the beginning. My opinion about an upcoming album will be an interesting one, no doubt in my mind. For a band to be together so long, I dont think they'd make dumb mistakes on there career. Opeth has had other musicians leave the band before. I understand the ones who have stayed so long, have a affected the direction of the band. I'm sure one day eventually Peter may return. I'm not hoping he does or anything. If Peter makes solo album or form his own band, it may actually may make opeth a very strong force still. Look at Ceremonial Oath to Inflames to Dark Tranquillity. Some of these members have crossed these paths without ever breaking the essence but still moving it at the same time. Good Luck on the next album Opeth. Hope to see you Canada again soon.

I'm hoping the new album will be as good as the others. But then again, I don't think it will be of the same calibre. With Lopez and Lindgren both gone now, I wouldn't be surprised if the new just didn't have the same feel to it. I hope so bad that the new album will be good enough, but I'm not exactly expecting anything from it.