Upcoming Album... Anyone worried?

Black Session said:
well, to be blasphemous perhaps, but the song Blackwater Park should have been shorter IMO ... 12 minutes is too long for that one, just when I think it would be good time for the outro, it starts again ... but I'm pretty sure no one will agree on this one

I do agree with you in that respect, the ending is a bit too spun out, although it's still an amazing song.

It's not absolute bollocks, it's an opinion, and I happen to agree that Blackwater Park's production is one of the worst in Opeth's discography. It sounds too gritty to me.

Rocky Raccoon said:
^^On drugs

I wish :erk:

Granted, I haven't listened to Opeth in a long time, I still remember BWP's production as one of the less appealing ones. Earlier Opeth albums have had worse productions from a technical point of view, but they fit the music and gave it something extra because of the atmosphere/feelings the flaws created. In the case of BWP, the flaws of the production didn't work to enhance the music, but degrade it, the way I see it.

This upcoming Opeth album will be telling in terms of the future of Opeth imo. Here are some of my concerns. Peter had some of the most inspiring and emotional guitar solos. Not to mention the great person he is, and he was truly special when it came to the connection he made with fans. The loss of Peter is quite devistating to say the least.

Will Lopez have any involvement with the upcoming album? Axenrot is a great death metal drummer, but, is he the right fit for opeth?

Also, has the grind of nearly constant touring of the world jepordize Opeth's desire?

And on top of all that, a majority of Opeth fans have become really annoying.

Fingers Crossed.
Yeah, I wondered the same thing.. on the other hand, I was terribly skeptical of Ghost Reveries and really didn't like it at first.. but it's grown on me and is one of my favorite albums. So long as Mikael is writing I'm fairly confident it'll be good.. though.. I thought Deliverance was weak.

If anything, that works to the album's disadvantage. Since Opeth didn't kick into overdrive on Damnation at all, it gave them a more limited palette to work with, if you will. The production, IMO, is the saving grace of the album. Take some simple clean passages, add a sprinkle of production layering, and you have yourself a very simple soft rock album with enough texture to listen to over and over again.

I would still love to know what effects are happening in Mike's vocal chain on that album. Very spacious without sounding overly reverberant. I read somewhere that SW dislikes verb, so I'd assume it's a subtle use of delays with low-pass filters.

If anything, that works to the album's disadvantage. Since Opeth didn't kick into overdrive on Damnation at all, it gave them a more limited palette to work with, if you will. The production, IMO, is the saving grace of the album. Take some simple clean passages, add a sprinkle of production layering, and you have yourself a very simple soft rock album with enough texture to listen to over and over again.

I would still love to know what effects are happening in Mike's vocal chain on that album. Very spacious without sounding overly reverberant. I read somewhere that SW dislikes verb, so I'd assume it's a subtle use of delays with low-pass filters.

Hmmm this is true actuallly, I stand corrected, I guess I didn't think about it in that way..