Commercial "Mainstream" Music

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
I was browsing through various threads, and notice a common theme - that most "mainstream" or commercially successful bands are not deemed the musicians of the lesser known bands by many people.

I've been on the "Metallica" sold-out bandwagon, but this got me to thinking. When I said it - it was based on my dislike for their newer stuff - so I guess it was easy to blame it on their success from the Black album on, and blaming my feeling of their musical decline about something to do with being popular.

That being said - when everybody starts bashing bands for going commercial, or being more widely accepted by the masses - where do you base this decision? On musical talent? Or just mad because you feel they lost a little of their purity? So am I to assume that many of the "popular" bands are less musically inclined then the "underground" scene? Do most "sell-outs" have no talent in the minds of those who stick to the less popular?

I think it needs a certain type of talent to be able to make music that can be a commercial success. For many of us the little ones it would be the talent of forgetting our "passion". Like Mike (if I remeber correctly) said in an interview, he could make anykinda music, pop too, but it's Opeth for him. What would YOU think if the next nro 1 chart success was a band called Å-Type with their massive dance hit? He could do it without being in no way less talented. Many underground musicans could.

But there are people who make pop from their hearts are there? ARE there?

Some of them have the passion to sing, no more. It can be anything. Some of them make the songs for the singers. Do they have a passion?

Hell, I don't know. I got lost.

Originally posted by Hearse
I don't care whos "mainstream" or not... all I care is music itself...

lets not make this another metallica thread.... I go crazy if I have to read another rambling about that ugly Ulrich all over again. :loco: :lol:

The "music" point is my point exactly. This wasn't meant to be a Metallica thread, or really any bashing on a "mainstream" band. I was curious as to why so many hate the mainstream scene - and if it was music based in peoples minds. I just believe some "tune out" these popular bands without really listening to their musical talents, and for some reason believe a musician is "purer" because of not being mainstream.

People (who claim to be metal enthusiasts) dislike mainstream commercial bands for any or all these reasons (in no particular order):

1. The band is in the "public" eye.
2. The band's videos are played on MTV.
3. The band has signed on to any MAJOR label (Sony anyone?).
4. The band detours tremendously from their original sound**
5. The band appears in "Hit Parader."
6. The band is loved by too many "everyday" people.
7. The band is hated by too many "metal enthusiasts."
8. The band draws the attention of too many "kids."
9. The band sounds like "nu-metal."

and last but not least:

10. The band TRULY sucks.

**which can either win or lose fans, but if it's a bad detour - and/or "everyday" people like the detour - forget it, because the band will be considered trendy mainstream crap.

I only care about what they are producing.. if it sounds good to me I continue to support them. If it sounds like crap I don´t support them. There are so many bands to choose from that there´s always something else that is better.

That being said - when everybody starts bashing bands for going commercial, or being more widely accepted by the masses - where do you base this decision? On musical talent? Or just mad because you feel they lost a little of their purity? So am I to assume that many of the "popular" bands are less musically inclined then the "underground" scene? Do most "sell-outs" have no talent in the minds of those who stick to the less popular?

I couldn't care less if a band is comercially accepted, for gods sake: I am an avid Tea Party and Tool fan...!

... The only time 'commercial' music is underfire from me, is when there is no substance at all, this pertains to the likes of new Metallica, Megadeth or In Flames...

Originally posted by Trapped

I couldn't care less if a band is comercially accepted, for gods sake: I am an avid Tea Party and Tool fan...!

... The only time 'commercial' music is underfire from me, is when there is no substance at all, this pertains to the likes of new Metallica, Megadeth or In Flames...

Yeah, but have you noticed how many metal enthusiasts actually LIKE Tool? And this "Tea Party" band is getting rave reviews from Opeth fans - looks like they're a band worth persuing.

Tool :headbang:

One thing that pisses me off is when a band or "group" has nothing at all to do with the writting of their music.
Another thing with the popular music fans is that most of them can not really break complex music down enough to see the beauty, it is basically over their heads. I hate to have to say that because when it comes down to it music is music....tones created to generate sensation in our our ears (brain) and I sometimes feel the need to have respect for any music no matter what it is.....and sometimes I don't:D

Jannet:

Tea Party material to check out:

A certain slant of light
Fire in the head
The river
Inanna
Samsara
Walk with me

Originally posted by metalmancpa

I think this discrimination of commercial music is almost always about "purity". Take a look at the black metal scene for instance. If you have coloured album cover, no one who calls himself "true" will buy your records. (an exaggerated example, but you get the idea...)

I myself consentrate more on the music. That is why I actually like Britney Spears. She doesn't make the music herself, but the ones who write the music are talented.

Originally posted by Downfall

I think this discrimination of commercial music is almost always about "purity". Take a look at the black metal scene for instance. If you have coloured album cover, no one who calls himself "true" will buy your records. (an exaggerated example, but you get the idea...)

I myself consentrate more on the music. That is why I actually like Britney Spears. She doesn't make the music herself, but the ones who write the music are talented.

Wow, I'm damn impressed that someone said they actually LIKE her on a forum like this! You go!

I know what you mean about the Black metal scene. I've been bashed by "ultra purists" for liking Dimmu, Satyricon - they've actually called it "mainstream." There is NO mainstream black metal - but the problem lies in the fact that too many BM fans LIKE the so-called bm mainstream band. If it's too well known, it's crap - that is purist mentality. The more obscure and unknown the band, the better.

hmmm... good discussion! Allow me to jump in. :)

Whenever i hear the term "sellout" i shudder. The term is too widely used, and i believe that people shouldn't be too quick to judge.

Consider:
1. People generally always want to be making more money than they already do. They should not be shunned for this.
2. Music is an artform, but it's also a career for many people. Artists want to be recognized, want to share their art with as many people as possible. They should not be shunned for this.
3. For the musicians who write their own stuff, their music is a reflection of themselves. Consider your "issues" from 10 years ago? 5 years ago? now? If they are the same, i pity you. Musicians grow, and change just like everyone else. And these changes show through their music. They should not be shunned for this.

now something that is somewhat related, but i need to get off my chest... i like lots of non-metal music, for different reasons. For awhile i was into the pop-ska stylings of No Doubt. (i know, i know) Anyways, in their recent albums they have totally moved away from ska, and are now totally pop. I tried listening to their new album, but decided it would probably hurt less if i had a hole drilled through my skull. Point being, i can very easily revert to the "Oh My God! They Sold Out!!!!" crap, but i recognize that they just evolved. Deal with it.

3. For the musicians who write their own stuff, their music is a reflection of themselves. Consider your "issues" from 10 years ago? 5 years ago? now? If they are the same, i pity you. Musicians grow, and change just like everyone else. And these changes show through their music. They should not be shunned for this.

I know everyone hates Metallica here but this quote is so true of them. Now they have kids and families, it's not about getting drunk everynight and getting high...you have to grow up sometime and be responsible. Which also changes your musical direction.

Originally posted by loudsilence
[I know everyone hates Metallica here but this quote is so true of them. Now they have kids and families, it's not about getting drunk everynight and getting high...you have to grow up sometime and be responsible. Which also changes your musical direction. [/B]

NOT everyone. I like ALL their albums except for S&M. But I TOTALLY agree with you.

I don't mind classical music, but I thought Metallica didn't pull it off as well as they could have. But that's just my opinion. I like all the original songs though.

I don't use commercial success as a factor in my judgement of music. On top of that, I don't use the personality or history of the musicians in my judgement, either. It is all about the music for me. If I like the music, I'll listen to it. Hell, if Metallica released another ...And Justice For All, I'd buy it.