YT: Axe Fx vs. Line6 Pod HD...

Ola Englund

Only gay in the village
Dec 1, 2001
Stockholm, Sweden
www.olaenglund.com
As it says in the title. Note that I didn't try to make the patches sound like eachother. I just started from scratch on every amp model and dialed in a sound. So the difference between the clips can be quite big but you get the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both seem to sound pretty good. If I would have to make the decision of buying either one based on only seeing this clip, I think I might go with the Pod. :O
The Pod seems to have a little better tones in this video, though in all honesty I've heard so much better tones from the Axe-Fx than the ones in this clip.

Thanks, it was an interesting comparison!

Once again, my main concern is the 'feel' of the unit - does it respond like the axefx does, with squish and bloom and all, or is it static like the XT series?

No it does not respond well I'm afraid. Palm mutes feel slow and weak. :(

If you want the feel of a tube amp attack response you will probably get closer with the axe fx. But then again the axe is 5 times more expensive than the Pod Hd300

Yeah, that's my issue - neither comes anywhere near to replacing a real amp, but one is 5x cheaper. Looks like neither will do it for my needs, unfortunately :(.

No none of these units will replace a real amp for me neither. But the PodHD300 will come in real hand for say in the end of october when I'm going to do a gig in germany.

I fit my PodHD300 and my crate powerblock in my gigbag and I have all I need to rock out a gig without breaking two arms lifting an amp, midi-board, effect rack etc.

I'm going to rehearse with that rig tonight so hopefully it will be good enough. At least for doom metal. :D

Do you think the POD would put less experienced guitarists off with their technique when tracking DIs... to the point that when reamped through an actual tube amp the playing is turd?

That's always been my concern with using POD. It sounds and responds like POD, not a real amp, so people can develop weird techniques with it.

Do you think the POD would put less experienced guitarists off with their technique when tracking DIs... to the point that when reamped through an actual tube amp the playing is turd?

That's always been my concern with using POD. It sounds and responds like POD, not a real amp, so people can develop weird techniques with it.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that in some young guys who just have Line 6 Spider II series amps or something similar.
As long as it makes sound, it's okay, and you don't need to pick properly for it to make noise.
It's both the response of the unit, and the fact that on PODs, there is ridiculous amounts of gain on tap if you want it.
I've yet to play a tube amp that has as much gain on tap as a POD X3.
Maybe some do exist, but the common ones we talk about here, 5150, EVH 5150 III, Dual/Triple Recto etc etc, definitely don't have as much gain as a POD.
Personally, I never had problems going from my POD to my Bugera (which is definitely more responsive), but then again, I know the importance of digging into the strings with reasonable force rather than being a pussy who strokes them lightly, that and I don't crank the gain on my POD to 5 million.

As always, good sounds.

It's interesting that Ermz mentioned the weird technique thing, I noticed that with my playing yesterday and with a clients technique last week.

The Axe sounded like ass in comparison (too scooped and too boomy, but you probably chose the worst cab).
The POD sounds really good!!

Do you have anything in the chain of each unit (boost, comp, eq) besides the amp+cab?

I didn't like the impulse used on the AxeFx clips. The PodHD Uber clip takes the cake for me by a long shot.

i didnt think either sounded that great. podfarm + impulses still seems to be the best option for me at the moment