YT: Kemper Profiling Amp - Rectifier

A good use should be to record album with traditional amp,cabs and mics and then profile the signal so that you can have the same sound live. That would be nice.
You know what...all these digital devices...just replicate/copy other amps. A 5150 is here for 30 years, rectifier too, mashall even more...because every amp has its own sound.
The Axefx/Pod/Kemper just copy a famous amp or a signal chain....it's like a "China-zation" of the sound...just copy/replicate something famous. It can have pro's and cons of course...
Sincerely I don't think to have the head under the sand...I'm only saying that I think the traditional way is much more cool and I like to enjoy a real amp/cab instead of a big pod in my bedroom.

You could say the same about CDs/Vinyl and MP3s - that MP3's are just a cheaper low fidelity replica, maybe, but they were accurate enough that they caught on and in a big way. This will be exactly the same thing, once you can get a copy of something that is this accurate you do away with the necessity of the original, that might not be desirable but its a progression that will occur; this is good enough and its convenient enough to completely replace current solutions to the extent that tube amps will be remnants of the past and the only people that purchase them in a few years will be probably be purists.

I am not saying that the way you see things is wrong, I don't disagree but I think what you see here is something that can't be ignored and will change the face of production and guitar history.

Still not convinced this thing doesn't sound good to me at all :/. Only sound from these molder's i have heard i have liked is when Sacha put's up his axe-fx clip's. Other then that I hate everything i hear from any amp modeler. Guess i am just a die hard tube guy.

But they are, I asked them at Namm and they said they would have a 19" model shortly

awesome...I'm saving up ;)

Hellyeah! I'll sell the Ultra straight away. :)

haha, I would like to see what he gets up to in his lab- good point there. I did see a few people went from axe fx to kemper, ditched it and now are back with axe fx again- you know what the fractal forum is like for fan bois though. Time will tell the winner i guess, if there is a winner lol. I will have to read up on the finer details of this at some point to see how they compare, maybe when I get back from work later. All I know at this point is that there is a device that fires some alien test waves using some damn good algorithms and manages to produce deadly accurate tones of real amps. 19" rack sounds good.

According to the Fractal-evangelists there can only be one. ;) For me, the Kemper seems to be what I'm looking for. MY sound through a lot of amps. Yummie!

And the "matching tone stack" is something Kemper could or should do. I remember when Mr. Chase added "passive" tone stack in the AxeFX. Now people can't live without it.

I haven't had this much fun in years!! Also I just discovered the graphic eq, lowpass filter and studio eq :O
Shit never ends!

Ola, if I can borrow it from Monday to Wednesday next week, I'll profile a Mesa Mark IV, 5150 and a Recto with some awesome 4x12s. One Greenback Marshall and one Mesa V30. Deal? ;) I'm going to Umeå to help Hate Ammo set a guitar sound. :D

Pretty please, with sugar on top? :wave:

Don't sell your axe fx's yet. Cliff has just announced he is going to include amp profiling in upcoming firmware. That should end up solidifying the axe II up there easily for now I imagine, especially as this thing has no dynamics processing.

That was a fast response, obviously cottoned onto the fact that if he doesn't adapt his product its effectively useless in comparison.

Öwen;10176600 said:
That was a fast response, obviously cottoned onto the fact that if he doesn't adapt his product its effectively useless in comparison.

He doesnt fuck around does he lol. From what I read over there it doesnt seem to be an issue to implement either as the unit has much more dsp than the kemper. Or maybe he hasnt started at all and its a shrewd move to mute kemper sales : D

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time already but this is my first post.
Anyhow, another first hand experience with the Kemper which I own since 2 weeks:

This thing is mindblowing!
Profiling really works like a charm. With a longer "refine profile" process you will have an exact (well, that's a big word, but in my experience if there are any differences left you can tweak your profile to sound just the same or those differences are negligible) copy of the sound you dialed in at the studio. It's so cool to dial in your favourite tone in the studio with your fav cab and then just take the Kemper home and play with that sound. The first profile I did was my JCM800 with HotMod and I was blown away by the details it captured. The unreal attack of that amp and the low mid roar - it was all there, just like I know my Marshall. And most importantly - it felt the same playing it!

If I had one thing to complain it's the stomp section which I don't find to be as extremely good as the stack and effects one. The inbuilt tubescreamer is a little heavy handed and it's easy to overdo the TS Effect with it. However, with some more conservative settings it's ok for live use. In the studio I'd rather put a Maxon in front of the Kemper, which works really well!
I found if you use mild settings on a transparent tubescreamer like the Maxon Od808 profiling with it in the chain works suprisingly good.
This is my 5150 Red Channel with Maxon into a 2x12 H&K Cab with V30 as profiled by the Kemper:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29807386/Kemper5150redts.mp3

More extrem settings and it will sound sort of strange - but like I said above just use a real pedal in front of the Kemper if you are not satisfied with your profile with the TS in the chain. Or use the inbuilt one. Or use preamp definition/powersagging to get a similiar less extreme effect.

The Kemper will get tons of use at my studio that's for sure.
For live use it's godsend as well. The Kemper and something like crate powerblock and a midi foot controller and you are set. Use the Kemper Direct Out to the PA and the monitor out with cab off into your poweramp and cab of choice for on stage monitoring. I will be having a couple of gigs end of March and I am planning to use the Kemper instead of my trusty Triple X or 5150.

I like the form as well. It's not the most practical thing for live use - I agree - but it's very intuitive and easy to use.

To cut the whole crap:

The Kemper rules and is one of the coolest pieces of gear I experienced in quite some time!

All the best,

Markus

Ola, if I can borrow it from Monday to Wednesday next week, I'll profile a Mesa Mark IV, 5150 and a Recto with some awesome 4x12s. One Greenback Marshall and one Mesa V30. Deal? ;) I'm going to Umeå to help Hate Ammo set a guitar sound. :D

Pretty please, with sugar on top? :wave:

This is the great thing about the Kemper, with good sounds/profiles sharing on the internet this will sell like crazy.
I'll wait for the 19"version tough.

Kemper has raised the bar, thats a good thing.

A shame i don't live in Stockholm, I have a Pre500 Dual Rectifier that should be profiled.