YT: Telecaster for metal? Stock pickups vs Bare Knuckle

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011

I'm comparing pickups in this video. They have similar output so they have the same amount of gain. Broadcaster sounds more like a real vintage Telecaster with that sludge and the Piledriver is more modern sounding. Playing metal with the Broadcaster felt super uncomfortable where as the Piledriver felt like a humbucker although it still sounds like a single coil. But both can do metal, crunch and clean although ofcourse the neck pickup is the holy grail for cleans. :)

No boost for metal. Just the 5150 model on Amplitube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh... if I wanted to impress people with these tones do you think I would use Amplitube? This is a pickup comparison.

The entire idea of using a Tele for metal by swapping the pickups is retarded.

It still doesn't sound heavy and it removes everything inherently 'Tele' about it. But now every srs-core band does it because they still want their 'sweet breakdowns' but want oldfag hipster cred.

xTomx said:

Why? Please enlighten us with what magical features the Tele apparently doesn't have for it to do metal. Put pickups in it suited for metal, it can do it.

maybe the differences could be gauged better by NOT doing it through amplitube ... just a thought

Maybe you should listen to the final comparison in that video which is a clean comparison. Have you ever heard clean guitar before? That's how it sounds. That's the clearest place to listen for differences if you have an ear for it.

I didn't change my pickups to get my tele to sound more metal. It made my guitar more dynamic and modern sounding. It still sounds like a Tele. Listen to that video. The stock pickups did metal too. The dynamic range and pick attack is the difference here and that can easily be heard in this example if you know what to listen to.

Disrespecting Teles is like taking a shit right on top of rock/metal history. Using a Tele for metal might be one of those things that separates a band from the masses of crappy looking black guitars with pickups ran with batteries just like all other toys out there.

Maybe you should listen to the final comparison in that video which is a clean comparison. Have you ever heard clean guitar before? That's how it sounds. That's the clearest place to listen for differences if you have an ear for it.

I didn't change my pickups to get my tele to sound more metal. It made my guitar more dynamic and modern sounding. It still sounds like a Tele. Listen to that video. The stock pickups did metal too. The dynamic range and pick attack is the difference here and that can easily be heard in this example if you know what to listen to.

Disrespecting Teles is like taking a shit right on top of rock/metal history. Using a Tele for metal might be one of those things that separates a band from the masses of crappy looking black guitars with pickups ran with batteries just like all other toys out there.

You come off sorta like a dick...... just saying ;)

It still doesn't sound heavy and it removes everything inherently 'Tele' about it. But now every srs-core band does it because they still want their 'sweet breakdowns' but want oldfag hipster cred.

My tele has an emg... but it's kewl i've had a tele since since before srscore came around.

hipster-kitty-avatar-2_bigger.jpg

BTW Thanks Seargent D.

You come off sorta like a dick...... just saying ;)

Sure but was I the only one?

And for my opinion on the tone's I actually dig the stock tele pickup a bit more then the bare knuckle

I'd probably pick the stock pickup for cleans and a sludgy rhythm tone too. I must say that playing high gain with the stock pickup took a lot of energy and my arms got tired where as the BKP felt easy and natural for high gain also.

I actually left the stock pickup in the neck so I have a clean sound on the neck pickup and a rock rhythm on the bridge pickup without touching the amp. Ofcourse this won't work for metal.

says Mr. Match EQ :lol:

tool

No offence man but please tell me what your input on this forum is? All I see is you bashing people and you deffo have a huge ego although the music Shadowdance (lol what a name) puts out is noob and unoriginal. What's your plan? To be the next Iron Maiden? Even the real Iron Maiden is struggling in the modern music industry so good luck with that.

I didn't want to attack you but you have to earn respect before your opinions matter.

Yes, I am "Mr.Match EQ" and many people are thankful for what I've done. Have you ever done anything positive on the forum? Try it for a change.

Man some people are trying a bit too hard to pick a fight. The guy is just showing a pickup comparison... jeez!

It probably has a lot to do with his tone... and not just in this particular thread...

FWIW, I've noticed much less difference between pickups when using amp sims than when using real amps. So, using something other than amplitude would definitely make for a more valuable comparison.