~Blind Guardian 12/7~

Yeah I was pretty surprised. But at least the people in the pit had some sense. They weren't like some of the stupid mosh pits I have seen that go crazy go nuts even when there is a ballad type song playing.

I chatted with the bass player from Twelfth Gate a bit after the show, but I didn't stick around to meet Symphony X. I'm sorry I didn't. I did manage to get the guy's last copy of the Twelfth Gate demo CD, though :D. That was cool.

I was standing right above you, Shok. That balcony railing is an incredible spot. You're right on top of the stage--can't be more than 15 feet from it. I was looking almost straight down at Romero's & Olbrich all night. Someone standing in line mentioned that the balcony is great, so I decided to head up there right away...

Anyway, I'm really glad you both made it from Michigan.

--S

Originally posted by sh0kr0k
Everyone I met at the show was really nice! Lady of the Oracle, I think I saw you afterwards by the Symphony X crowd, but I chickened out on saying hello because I thought of what an ass I would have sounded like if it wasn't you!! haha! I wish I would have found some of the UMers that went, but I didn't know how to go about finding you. If you were outside in the line, I was the girl walking back and forth with the Dream Theater knit hat and black coat, looking like I was looking for someone :lol:

Aww, I wish you'd said hi! I didn't get a chance to really look for people because I was running on & off the bus with the band most of the night (if ya wanna read the whole story about my SymX weekend, it's here)..a few people in line said they saw me, but I can't say the same, dammit! We sat & watched the people in line until it was time for soundcheck..there were people there as early as noon (so if you were at the very front of the line, then I may have seen you after all..hehe)!

sh0k, we'll have to make plans to hook up the next time we're gonna be at the same show, then we won't have to wonder if we saw each other or not.. :lol:

Originally posted by Mephistopheles
Oh...And does anyone remember the name of that metal magazine that they took the cover shot for? I can't remember...

I'm thinking that would be Metal Maniacs, because the band/crew laminates (the badge thingies) say "Metal Maniacs Presents Blind Guardian and Symphony X" on them.

@Soul_Schizm: Man, I really wanted a balcony spot so bad! My friends and I were near the front of the line but one friend went back to the car to put the camera away (once we realized there were no camers allowed) JUST as the line started to move! We would have been okay except the friend had the ticket of the other girl with me, and I wasn't about to leave her alone outside! So we waited and waited and waited and watched everyone else enter ahead of us... I had never been to The Metro before so I didn't know to head directly for the balcony. Between Twelfth Gate & SX I went for a drink at the bar and peeked over the edge and saw the amazing view! I knew there wasn't a chance I'd get to squeeze in :cry: BUT, I did get to meet some cool people because of where I was standing it was alright in the end.

@Lady_of_the_Oracle: You know, it must have been you that I saw because I heard someone say "She's on the bus" then a few seconds later "you" appeared with the guys that said that :lol: You were talking with two guys and were just handed a cellphone when I saw "you" so I figured I'd not interrupt and my friends wanted to split. I'll have to read about your adventure for sure! How the hell did you get to hang out on the tour busses??! :eek: We were indeed standing by the busses before the show. We were the dorks taking pictures of ourselves and then staring at a MagicEye picture on the ground. I was with a girl wearing a Grey Five Iron Frenzy sweatshirt and a guy wearing a big grey coat with a orange & blue knit-hat with long "tassels" :lol: The two most non-metal metalheads I know!
Anyways, we'll definately have to hook up next time I'm at a show in Chicago - or next time you're at one in Grand Rapids or Detroit! :D

~Sh0k~

Originally posted by sh0kr0k
@Lady_of_the_Oracle: You know, it must have been you that I saw because I heard someone say "She's on the bus" then a few seconds later "you" appeared with the guys that said that :lol:

Ahh yeah that was me..that was when one of the crew guys came & got me cuz my friends were looking for me..hehe! :)

You were talking with two guys and were just handed a cellphone when I saw "you" so I figured I'd not interrupt and my friends wanted to split. I'll have to read about your adventure for sure!

Yeah that was another one of our SymX mailing list friends on the phone, calling from PA to see what we were all doing.

How the hell did you get to hang out on the tour busses??! :eek:

I work for SymX, so I was lucky enough to hang out with the guys all weekend..it was a blast. :D

We were indeed standing by the busses before the show. We were the dorks taking pictures of ourselves and then staring at a MagicEye picture on the ground. I was with a girl wearing a Grey Five Iron Frenzy sweatshirt and a guy wearing a big grey coat with a orange & blue knit-hat with long "tassels" :lol: The two most non-metal metalheads I know!

Were you anywhere near the girl with the green hair? Romeo kept trying to tell me that was a hat, but I finally convinced him it was actually her hair.. :lol:

Anyways, we'll definately have to hook up next time I'm at a show in Chicago - or next time you're at one in Grand Rapids or Detroit! :D

~Sh0k~

Works for me..I seem to end up out that way a few times a year (and I actually lived in Holland for the first 6 months of this year, & have tons of relatives around there), so I'll keep you posted! :)

Jax :)

Originally posted by Lady of the Oracle
I work for SymX, so I was lucky enough to hang out with the guys all weekend..it was a blast. :D

I had no idea you worked for SX! Well, hell... Tell'em some little metalhead gal up in Michigan had an outrageous good time at their show! :lol: What do you do for them, if you don't mind me asking?

Were you anywhere near the girl with the green hair? Romeo kept trying to tell me that was a hat, but I finally convinced him it was actually her hair.. :lol:
HAHA! No I don't recall a girl with green hair. Come to think of it, I think we were actually by the other tour bus..er.. one of the other ones that wasn't the one that SX & you came out of... :rolleyes: So close, yet so far.. lol

Works for me..I seem to end up out that way a few times a year (and I actually lived in Holland for the first 6 months of this year, & have tons of relatives around there), so I'll keep you posted! :)

Excellent! I'll be looking forward to it most certainly! Hey, Nile, Dark Tranquillity, Napalm Death, Bezerker, & Strapping Young Lad are all playing together up here in Grand Rapids on February 4th (I think). I don't know if you're interested in those bands, but heads-up anyways :cool: I'll definately be there! Reason: Dark Tranquillity! ;)

~Sh0k~

I know quite a bit about SYL and a little about Nile...if all the rest of these bands are anything like them then I would be surprised if anyone who goes to that show lives to tell about it. I like both bands but I can only take so much of them. They are just way to crazy heavy for me.

@Mephistopheles - You oughtta check out the show, it's going to be Incredible! The band I want to see the most is Dark Tranquillity, hands down my favorite band there.. Other than Napalm Death, I'm only mildly interested in the other bands. Dark Tranquillity is worth the trip alone! I saw them in Detroit with In Flames, Sentanced, Summer Dying, and :zombie: Killswitch Engage and DT was by far the best band! They're so energetic, increidbly thankful to be playing in the States, and are amazing musicians! You can't go wrong! ... A friend of mine said to me, while listening to DT for the first time, that he thought they sounded like a Power Death Metal band! hahaha! Anyways, maybe think about checking it out! It'll be one of the best shows in GR!

~Sh0k~

What albums would you recomend? A trip to their website reveals many more albums than I expected. Are these guys pretty big in whatever country they are from? If I were to just go out (knowing nothing about the band) and buy an album or two I would probably get The Minds Eye and Projector. For some reason I am just drawn to these albums without even hearing any of the songs off them. I am rambleing...

Originally posted by Mephistopheles
What albums would you recomend? A trip to their website reveals many more albums than I expected. Are these guys pretty big in whatever country they are from? If I were to just go out (knowing nothing about the band) and buy an album or two I would probably get The Minds Eye and Projector. For some reason I am just drawn to these albums without even hearing any of the songs off them. I am rambleing...

more than just Sweden... they were decently big in the death metal community ever since they started, as far as I know... I'm not that familiar with them personally, though i did first hear of them in like 1996 or 7, so unfortunately i don't have any album recommendations

Ryan