What does Blackguard do when not touring? (aka the thread that won't die)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going back to the popcorn.

As someone who has been behind an extremely successful festival, are you concerned about retention at all? Or, are you always more concerned about gaining new audiences? I know it's a LITTLE OF A, and a LITTLE OF B, but is there one side of the coin you favor?

This has nothing to do with my argument that touring more can only increase your fanbase/revenue and never decrease it, but since I don't think there's anything more I can say there without repeating myself, here's a bit of data on a separate fallacy, the one that says "bands need to take time off tour to write/record good music".

I know a band who spent a solid year playing local shows, took literally one month off to record their debut album, and then went straight into another year of non-stop touring. This time they took a two-month break to record their second album, and then were on the road non-stop from the middle of February until the end of September. They laid down another album and were back on the road again in February, this time going 9 months, all the way into December. Another four month break to record an album, and then again on the road for the last 8 months of the year.

I don't know how many of you guys have heard of this band, but they were called Iron Maiden, and those albums they barely paused to shit out were 'Iron Maiden', 'Killers', 'The Number of the Beast', and 'Piece of Mind'.

Incidentally, in 1980, after the release of 'Iron Maiden', they played in London 20 times!

Neil

It's not so much to do with being "condescending" as it is not feeling like getting banned for saying something mean because it's getting a little annoying hearing the exact same thing from him for 20+ pages even though we've driven it home that it's a stupid point/argument. It's a forum yes, and debate is one thing. But this has gotten to the point of ad nauseum stupidity.

Fair enough. I thought you were purposedly coming off as a know-it-all ass. When you put it that way (your explanation), it completely makes sense.

AeonicSlumber said:
And my "credentials" are for me to know and for you to find out.

Awwww, there's nothing wrong with kiss and tell sometimes! :lol:

Once again, it's my opinion VS yours.
You think that you CAN'T overtour, and I say you can.

I am certainly in agreement that being on 5 tours a year will eventually have a positive impact on CD sales. I just still think that if you are a mediocre band (which many of the bands in this category are, and I am being VERY generous here), you will be "that band"

Of course I have been part of this conversation for 20 pages. It doesn't mean that I give a rat's ass if you ever see my side of things. Primarily I am replying because a lot of words are being placed into mouths, and many are being accused by using (god forbid on the Prog Power forum) PERSONAL opinion from their own experience.

You guys throw out your randomly selected data to "back it up" and attack people here who actually think for themselves, and go to shows, and buy CDs.

Sure, your perspective of things is different than mine because you have $$$$ on the line for a lot of bands which may eventually fall into the category I speak of, so you might take it a bit more personal. Fair enough. I think any band, promoter, or manager definitely should NOT shrug off feedback of anyone who goes to shows or purchases music. Finally, I know I am just one fan, so you can easily make a comment like, "Well, who cares if you don't go to the show", or "You may not have gone anyway" The problem I see here though is that I am giving you many reasons why I would skip over bands in this category. As a businessman myself, the biggest issue I have is these bands just want to play in front of anyone and everyone, but fail to work on retention.

And yes, that is MY personal belief, opinion, statement, whatever............

But you still have not defined overtouring!!!
How much touring is overtouring? 4 tours a year? 5? One show in a selected market every month? Every two months?

What the hell is it?

What's wrong with being "that band" if it's having a positive impact on your CD sales?

Nobody is being attacked for drawing from personal experience. People are saying that using your one personal experience as a benchmark for the entire metal scene are wrong. And they are.

Once again, you play the victim. Claus, Aeonic, and I aren't thinking for ourselves. We're mindless sheep! The only ones who are thinking for themselves are the ones in the minority.

God forbid somebody thinks for themselves and comes to a different conclusion than you.

I have a differing opinion than you and I don't have $$$ on the line for these bands. I buy albums, go to shows, run an FM metal radio show, etc. Does that make my opinion more valid than yours? No. I suppose yours is more valid than mine though, as you are "thinking for yourself" and I obviously am not.

The problem is you are expecting everyone who attends shows and listens to metal to think the same way as you. They don't. They don't think the same way as me, either. There isn't one set mindset in music. People have different reasons for attending concerts and listening to bands. Would you have the same opinion about 'overtouring' if Manilla Road was the band in question? Or Candlemass? Or Novembers Doom?

Probably not, because they are 'quality', and like you've claimed many times, "quality always prevails." It doesn't. That's why bands like Born of Osiris, Bring Me the Horizon, and The Devil Wears Prada are currently selling out venue after venue after venue and Novembers Doom still lies in relative obscurity.

How do you know they aren't working on retention? I don't hear any of my friends talking up Blackguard. But I also realize that my friends talk up bands like Enslaved, Autopsy, and Watain. I don't know people who like the Blackguard style of metal. Doesn't mean they don't exist.

I can't think of many people I know who enjoy U2. Does that mean U2 doesn't have fans? That they don't work on retention?

No. Different crowds. I don't know everybody in the world.

Same thing applies to Blackguard.

Almost each time they've come through they've had more crowd participation, people headbanging, etc. At the recent Nevermore show, I was blown away when I walked in during the middle of their set. The place was going nuts for them!

So much for "that band."

For the record, I think they blow.

Oh we can still totally make out though.

funny-pictures-hamster-kiss-glass.jpg

I don't know how many of you guys have heard of this band, but they were called Iron Maiden, and those albums they barely paused to shit out were 'Iron Maiden', 'Killers', 'The Number of the Beast', and 'Piece of Mind'.

Yep, but once again Neil, we aren't talking about IRON MAIDEN quality bands.
The bands I am speaking of bring nothing new or interesting to the table.
They are the "forever warm up bands"

The ones who do break out grab the audiences by the balls.

So in the past 10 years, younger crowds saw something unique in Children of Bodom (shit, I am sure for a lot of young kids, it was possibly the first band they ever saw live with keyboards), Amon Amarth, etc, etc. (Granted, these bands already had a bit of a following even in the States before they ever came over as an opening band, but the point is that when they played to crowds who had never probably ever heard of them, it was something new and fresh).

Back in the day, in the UK, where the punk explosion was dying down following 1977, rock fans saw a talented rock band with the high energy of punk rock blend the two flawlessly (Like many other amazing NWOBHM bands).

I did give Blackguard (once again, not picking on them exclusively, though they were the original subject of the thread) a chance, in checking out about 4 songs. Not a bad band at all, but nothing that would stick out, esp as an opening band. Same goes for Warbringer. Definitely a quality throwback thrash band, but they just blend in on every tour they are ever on. I just don't see a potential breakout in the near future. Just my opinion, and I know my jaded ass isn't their target audience and I can accept that. As I have said a zillion times, I wish them well, and hope they do win over crowds every night.

Would you have the same opinion about 'overtouring' if Manilla Road was the band in question? Or Candlemass? Or Novembers Doom?

ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY, I would!

Why do you think these guys (Well, speaking primarily of Manilla Road and Nov Doom) get offered REALLY good spots on European festivals each year? Because when they play, it is a unique event. Both those bands only play a handful of select gigs in the states, and even less in their hometowns.

As for my definition of overtouring?
I think if you are playing the same markets 3 or more times a year, it is too much. As I have said before, many times a lot of the bands discussed here have had 2 upcoming gigs in the same city (sometimes even the same venue!) I understand that any exposure is good exposure, but most of the times its the same exact type of lineup that draws the same crowd. Now, you can be smart about these things, and be on two COMPLETELY different types of lineups that draw different crowds.

Take EVILE for example. They are on tour now with Forbidden, Bonded by Blood, etc, etc. Just a month ago, they toured playing many of the same venues with Early Man and Bonded by Blood. Was that really necessary? Don't you believe that MANY people saw both lineups, and said, "I will wait and see them with Forbidden" Well, per the bands mouth, the prior show was attended by no more than 50 people.

So, if the bands and labels can and are willing to afford it, playing in front of 50 people and winning over 20 of them that night might be worth it. Maybe even take a major loss on the tour. Though, that month may have been better spent promoting the hell out of the larger FORBIDDEN Tour (IE - Maybe going in the studio to record a special TOUR CD to be sold on the tour, and market the hell out of that, posting samples prior to the tour). I don't think a lot of bands do much to promote their own tours or give you a reason to want to come to THAT show or THAT specific tour.

I remember when Daylight Dies were on tour supporting CANDLEMASS, they recorded a tour CD that you could only get at the shows, and marketed that for a good month prior to the start of the tour. So, even before the tour, there was hype about this band touring, and it was more than just them as an opening band.

I just see SO many of these bands hopping from tour to tour with no uniqueness about THAT specific tour or appearance, other than "Here we are in your face again!"

This thread is giving me a headache ...

Why do you think these guys (Well, speaking primarily of Manilla Road and Nov Doom) get offered REALLY good spots on European festivals each year?

HOLD ON!!!
What festivals????

I've lived my entire life in Europe, and have gone to all the big festivals over there - from Sweden Rock to Roskilde, from Wacken to Rock Hard Festival, from Bang Your Head to Raismes , from Gods Of Metal to all 4 ProgPowers ... and so on ...

NEVER - as in ain't gonna happen for shit bro - have I seen Manilla Road or November's Doom on any of those festivals - and WHEN I've noticed that they were set to play a European festivals is has (a) not been one of the big festivals, and (b) when looking at the poster it has not been anywhere near the top.

The only festival of any reputable size that I could see place Manilla Road high up would be Keep It True which is an old school festival with the same 1500 people showing up each year - hardly an important festival, and hardly "each year" that MR and ND gets offered spots on there.

I'm very curious to see what kind of explanation you'll come up with next.

c.

Well, yeah, Manilla Road isn't going to headline WACKEN, but the festivals they do play all over Europe are larger shows than they would play touring regularly here in the States. Yeah, definitely KIT is one of them.

Here are some that ND has played in the past couple of years that I know about:
Graspop Festival in Belgium - 2008
Brutal Assault Open Air Festival - Czech Republic - 2009
Madrid is the Dark - Spain - 2009
Caos Emergente Open Air Fest - Portugal - 2009

The point wasn't about how big these fests are, or what slot in the fest they were, but that they got invited to play these fests, partially due to them not being constant touring bands.

Well, yeah, Manilla Road isn't going to headline WACKEN, but the festivals they do play all over Europe are larger shows than they would play touring regularly here in the States. Yeah, definitely KIT is one of them.

Any show any band (within the genres we're talking about) from the US would do in Europe, would be larger than anything over here in the States.

Here are some that ND has played in the past couple of years that I know about:
Graspop Festival in Belgium - 2008
Brutal Assault Open Air Festival - Czech Republic - 2009
Madrid is the Dark - Spain - 2009
Caos Emergente Open Air Fest - Portugal - 2009

Graspop is a big multi-metal festival with bands like Iron Maiden and Kiss headlining that year, and I'm pretty sure that November's Doom was thrilled to be opening the day at noon in front of 200 hungover Belgians :)

Brutal Assault is a death/black metal festival - closest comparison would be Milwaukee Death Fest I guess. Tons of bands, limited playing time.

Madrid Is The Dark is a very small festival - a few hundred people I would guess.

Caos Emergente is one of those festivals that tried to broaden up - not just focuse on the local portuguese death/thrash bands they started with but then went under because the markets isn't up for it.

The point wasn't about how big these fests are, or what slot in the fest they were, but that they got invited to play these fests, partially due to them not being constant touring bands.

I don't get it Jason - why would anyone want to invite a band BECAUSE they don't tour "constantly"?
I can see the point in having the very first show ever of band X (like t.ex. if Glenn had gotten the first Shadow Gallery or the first Avantasia show - before they started touring), but if it's not an exclusive show, then it doesn't really matter - at that point you invite a band to your festival based upon 1) the "wellknown" factor of the band, 2) their strength as a live act or 3) your personal opinion as a booking agent.

I don't get it Jason - why would anyone want to invite a band BECAUSE they don't tour "constantly"?

What??????
Haven't a lot of bands been invited to Prog Power for this reason?
Take Orphaned Land, as one example.
Great band that has had buzz for years, but never toured relentlessly.
(IE - probably 100% of the attendees that year had never seen them live, yet they are an active band).

What??????
Haven't a lot of bands been invited to Prog Power for this reason?
Take Orphaned Land, as one example.
Great band that has had buzz for years, but never toured relentlessly.
(IE - probably 100% of the attendees that year had never seen them live, yet they are an active band).

That is exactly what I said - a debut show - Orphaned Land hadn't played in the US before that show. After their first show in the US, they are not being brought back to a festival BECAUSE they don't tour constantly. Then they are brought back upon the strength of their show.

As far as your 100% goes, feel free to deduct those of us who are from Europe, of which I'm guessing there's a good 1 or 2 percentage :)

I am certainly in agreement that being on 5 tours a year will eventually have a positive impact on CD sales.

OMG, finally, agreement!!!! :kickass:

I just still think that if you are a mediocre band (which many of the bands in this category are, and I am being VERY generous here), you will be "that band"

Ah, but you still can't resist clinging to this meaningless bit. You still haven't even tried to show that the negative consequences of being "that band" outweigh the positive for the band. As a businessman, you should understand that it's net effects that matter. Bud Light is "that beer" that you see ads for over and over and over again. Whatever negative consequences there are for that repetition are gladly accepted as part of achieving a positive net result.

But we can let that go and just bask in the warm glow of agreement!

Yep, but once again Neil, we aren't talking about IRON MAIDEN quality bands.

Yeah, my point goes back to my talent/hard work/luck post. You (and/or Bob) have said that you think a band like Blackguard would be better served by taking some time off and writing a really good album. I'm saying that time has almost nothing to do with writing a really good album. You either have the talent and ability, or you don't. Blackguard can take two years off, but they'll never have an epiphany that will make them realize "oh, THIS is how we can make an album that will have the whole world talking!" Given that, it's better for them to spend that time touring rather than sitting on their butts and twiddling their thumbs while waiting for inspiration that will never come.

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.