10 Favorite Power Metal Albums

rms disagrees with me just for the hell of it ;)

Just kidding. I know the sound is similar, but all I said was that it's their best album in my opinion; meaning it has their best songs, I think.

I've only seen a few people mention Helloween in their lists, and I've seen zero discussion of how mind-blowing they were in their prime. I mean, can anybody honestly tell me that their first four releases (3 albums + the debut EP) weren't the beginning of power metal proper, and are to this day pristine, flawless representations thereof? And is there any band that is more epic? I mean, sure, other bands have more keyboards or more choirs or more references to dragons and elves and what have you, but as far as epic writing and structure, nobody touches Helloween. And Blind Guardian. And Gamma Ray. But Helloween above all. Maybe you guys are just talking about newer bands that I haven't heard of, and maybe I'm just outta the loop, but c'mon: give Helloween the love they deserve.

I've only seen a few people mention Helloween in their lists, and I've seen zero discussion of how mind-blowing they were in their prime. I mean, can anybody honestly tell me that their first four releases (3 albums + the debut EP) weren't the beginning of power metal proper, and are to this day pristine, flawless representations thereof? And is there any band that is more epic? I mean, sure, other bands have more keyboards or more choirs or more references to dragons and elves and what have you, but as far as epic writing and structure, nobody touches Helloween. And Blind Guardian. And Gamma Ray. But Helloween above all. Maybe you guys are just talking about newer bands that I haven't heard of, and maybe I'm just outta the loop, but c'mon: give Helloween the love they deserve.

Maybe Helloween did invent power metal. However, I was born in '92, and power metal was already invented by then. I couldn't care less who did it, and I only view Helloween as another power metal band.

...With that said, it's still a damn good power metal band.

Maybe Helloween did invent power metal. However, I was born in '92, and power metal was already invented by then. I couldn't care less who did it, and I only view Helloween as another power metal band.

...With that said, it's still a damn good power metal band.

The point I was trying to make wasn't simply that they "invented" power metal. They did, but the point I was trying to make was that they're the power metal band, and that it upsets me that I haven't seen more people mention them in this thread.

Helloween was speed/power metal

I could see that case being made for their first ep and Walls of Jericho. However, beginning with the Keeper albums, they were straight up power metal.

And what's speed metal anyway? Has there ever been a band that was strictly speed metal that didn't also fall into the category of either thrash or power metal? List me some speed metal bands while you're at it.

I could never get into Helloween. The vocals always turned me off

You mean Michael Kiske? Or Andi Deras? If you like Maiden, and I'll assume you do by mere virtue of your being here, there's no reason not to like early Helloween, 'cause Kiske is a dead ringer for Dickinson. I can, however, understand being turned off by Andi Deras and his vox: I've never been a fan either.

The point I was trying to make wasn't simply that they "invented" power metal. They did, but the point I was trying to make was that they're the power metal band, and that it upsets me that I haven't seen more people mention them in this thread.

Maybe you guys are just talking about newer bands that I haven't heard of, and maybe I'm just outta the loop

Maybe you should look into these newer bands. I like Helloween, but there are plenty of newer bands that are just as good or even better, in my opinion.

I personally like a lot of newer power metal better than older power metal. But then again, that's how I am with most genres of metal. I believe in progress, for the most part. I know that a lot of people here are suckers for traditional sound and such, but I love to hear old bands develop and new bands create new sounds.

1. A Night at the Opera
2. Allegiance
3. Ghost Opera
4. I really liked Dark Passion Play... do we call Nightwish power metal?
5. The Scythe
6. Nightfall in Middle Earth
7. Hellfire Club
8. A Twist in the Myth
9. Ecliptica
10. Hahah, Steel Meets Steel - Ten Years of Glory
11. Cause I had to put this here, Inhuman Rampage.

Gotta say, since being told about HIBRIA by muzmaze and listening to more of their stuff, I'm thinking that their new album should be in the top ten list.

Maybe you should look into these newer bands. I like Helloween, but there are plenty of newer bands that are just as good or even better, in my opinion.

I personally like a lot of newer power metal better than older power metal.

Nope. None of 'em will ever be as good as Helloween or Blind Guardian. Granted, I reckon I'm beginning to get old(er) and stuck in my ways, which, for me, entails preferring the bands I grew up with to newer bands.

Regardless, for the sake of argument, which newer bands would you say are better?

Helloween is still one of the best, but... Lost Horizon, Machinae Supremacy and Rhapsody are better in my opinion, and then there's some of this so called extreme power metal that some would not count as power metal.

I also like Gamma Ray and Stratovarius better than Halloween, but they're both fairly old bands.

You like Gamma Ray and Stratovarius better than Helloween? That just blows my mind because Helloween are probably one of my top ten favorite bands ever. There's no acounting for taste though, I suppose...

I do like Rhapsody, but sometimes they spread it on a little thick, y'know? Too many keyboard twinklings, too many spoken word interludes, too Italian (not that there's anything wrong with that). However, among the newer bands I've heard, they're easily among the best.

Why do you claim that there's nothing wrong with being too Italian when you lump it in with things you clearly dislike about the band (to whatever extent)?

Rhapsody is really gay and really crappy but I have to admit to rocking out to them sometimes. FOR THE KING FOR THE LAND FOR THE MOUNTAINS!

edit: Btw, somebody needs to tell me what Jag Panzer album I should get. I have a few songs by them and there's this one that is just massively awesome. I think it might be from Mechanized Warfare.

Thane To The Throne

Yeah, I've heard some songs from that one. It seemed really good. That's the kind of power metal I really like, i.e. sophisticated compositions and good musicianship but not gay and totally over the top.

Rhapsody is kinda cheesy, but I love the melodies.

Gamma Ray and Stratovarius are two of my all-time favourite bands. Helloween are probably somewhere in the bottom of my Top 50 list. Which is still pretty good.

Machinae Supremacy is probably my definite favourite power metal band, but it's not quite traditional power metal.