2008 Presidential Candidates

Party nominations don't really have anything to do with democracy, since parties are not really part of the electoral process. They can technically use any means that they feel like to decide who to put up for presidency.

You can register anything and vote for anybody in the general election fyi. THAT would be a hindrance to the [American conception of the] democratic process.

Obama has the overall lead, and a considerable lead in actual state delegates won through caucuses and primaries. Stephen Colbert interviewed one of the superdelegates (Eleanor Holmes Norton of Washington DC), and she claimed that the superdelegates have decided that they will vote whichever way the states vote, which I'm very glad to hear.
One of my favorite women today

Party nominations don't really have anything to do with democracy, since parties are not really part of the electoral process. They can technically use any means that they feel like to decide who to put up for presidency.
Pretty much. Most countries (Canada for instance) don't let you choose the party's nominee. The party just gets together and chooses their leader.

Obama has my sword.
And my axe

The rules regarding party registration make sense to a degree. If there was an incumbent president, members of that party could vote en masse for the weaker candidate in the other party. Or since McCain basically has wrapped up the nomination, his supporters could vote for Hilary, since she would be more easily defeated than Obama.

Illinois just asks you which ballot you want when you show up to vote, and you aren't bound to that in future elections. This level of freedom is nice, but I understand the other position, too.

Obama's Delegate Lead Growing
By Eric Kleefeld - February 20, 2008, 9:53AM

So where do Barack Obama's victories last night leave him and Hillary Clinton in the delegate count? Even including Hillary's lead on super-delegates, Obama now has a substantial lead of more than 50 in even the most conservative estimates, and the lead gets a whole lot bigger when super-delegates are taken out of the equation.

Here are the current counts of delegates from various news organizations, including super-delegates unless otherwise noted:

CNN: Obama 1,301, Clinton 1,239.

CNN: Obama 1,140, Clinton 1,005 (Not counting super-delegates).

NBC: Obama 1,168, Clinton 1,1018 (Not counting super-delegates).

ABC: Obama 1,355, Clinton 1,261.

CBS: Obama 1,349, Clinton 1,252.

Associated Press: Obama 1,303, Clinton 1,233.

Washington Post: Obama 1,423, Clinton 1,297.

I'm tempted to vote for Obama in the primary just to take a vote away from Hillary, but then I'd have to turn in my spine for the next two years since I'll have to register as a Democrat :p