2008 Presidential Candidates

The idea that "rich fucks" are people who got lucky versus people who genuinely worked hard is usually the case in America, however. There are (to my knowledge) less "self-made millionaires" who actually did things to get where they are than asshole celebrities who just inherit money.

Well, for them to even consider redistributing anything, they need to stop spending so much on worthless causes. Like the 10 billion we give Pakistan every year.
I agree with foreign aid, but there is a nearby country that we waste a lot more money in.

Redistributing wealth just fucks the people who actually earned that wealth. Why should I give my fucking money that I earned to someone who might not deserve it?

No thanks. Again, 'taxing the fuck out of the rich' doesn't work.

Also: Any services that the people 'need' should be run by state and local governments. It keeps the federal government from fucking with the funds and using it for arbitrary reasons.
Why should rich people give some of their money to poor people? Because poor people need it more. I am having a similar argument with V5 right now and I don't think it is right to blame poor people for being poor. I know you aren't doing that, but you did suggest that some "might not deserve it". Keep in mind I am not advocating communism, just higher taxes for people with more money. Even with those higher taxes they will be wealthy, whereas even with low taxes a poor person will struggle to survive.

The idea that "rich fucks" are people who got lucky versus people who genuinely worked hard is usually the case in America, however. There are (to my knowledge) less "self-made millionaires" who actually did things to get where they are than asshole celebrities who just inherit money.

Right, and I'll agree. My dad has a fairly high net worth, so I get really pissed when people just say 'rich people should give up some of their money' when they don't define how 'rich' a person has to be for them to redistribute their wealth. My dad was poor for a long time before he started making a lot of money and now he can retire at 57 years of age.

Honestly, I think people who make 3 times the amount of money I do are rich.

I don't pretend to know what the scale of the taxes should be. I am an 18 year old with only limited knowledge of economics and policy planning. I do know though that someone like your Dad (or mine, or me in the future) paying a little extra in taxes in order to provide health care, or foodstamps or any other aid to a poor person sound eminently reasonable to me.

I agree with foreign aid, but there is a nearby country that we waste a lot more money in.

Why should rich people give some of their money to poor people? Because poor people need it more. I am having a similar argument with V5 right now and I don't think it is right to blame poor people for being poor. I know you aren't doing that, but you did suggest that some "might not deserve it". Keep in mind I am not advocating communism, just higher taxes for people with more money. Even with those higher taxes they will be wealthy, whereas even with low taxes a poor person will struggle to survive.

Higher taxes don't solve the problem. If you raise taxes for the wealthy class, they'll, theoretically, have less to spend on shit that middle class people make and people will get laid off, etc. It's the law of supply and demand, dude. Though, some people remain poor just to leech off of the government, which is why social programs should be abolished completely. We can all thank FDR for this mess with social programs.

I agree with this, at least the first and last parts. I know we were just arguing on it, but we seemed to have reached a semi-conclusion wherein the government should lower or negate welfare checks given to unemployed losers who never attempted to make anything of their life or failed out of school or whatever fault of theirs (see?...many things CAN be poor peoples' faults!) happened to occur. Such cases are not "luck" based but a matter of drive and initiative to better oneself. In this case, I believe a small bit in the Social Darwinistic approach, and borrow a bit from Nietzschean philosophy which essentially believes that those who help themselves will be among the people who have success (in material things such as money, of course). I believe welfare in the form of federal aid to aspiring students who are balls-out poor is fine.

Well boy howdy. That sure puts my mind at ease.

*puts away shotgun meant to kill poor people who never tried to help themselves*

Sounds like a fine idea to me considering you can live quite comfortably on 113,600 whereas you can't even get basic necessities such as health care and education when you are poor.

You are a ninja. I deleted my post because the incomes on both brackets only amounted to a 2% difference or so.

it's still bullshit that someone would get less than 60% of their money after taxes. That isn't right

Gdp20-40.jpg

US-jobs2040.jpg

Well, There are two lines on it. One is curved and the other is spiking. I'd like to know what the curved one is. Maybe that's what it looks like when you make it a parabolic function?