2012 Presidential election thread

@Einherjar "The advocation that human beings possess liberty as a specific "inalienable right" is misleading and inaccurate. Only after liberty is made into a cultural value that resonates with us as reflecting some pristine, original condition that we should yearn for does it seems to us to have been there all along."

It is not society nor culture that forbids you to kill but the inalienable right of another man to live. That is also not a compromise between two rights but a line of division that preserves both rights untouched. The division is not derived from an act/order of society but from your own inalienable individual rights. that definition of that limit is not set by society but is implicit in the definition of your own right.

Freedom is the basic, the essential, the crucial principle. What is intrinsic is the principal of voluntary action versus physical coercion or compulsion. Men have always been free to agree or disagree, to cooperate or to pursue their own independent course, each according to his own judgment. Freedom is the fundamental requirement of mans mind and his survival.

Freedom is intrinsic.

PS no offense, but I think you read too much collectivist philosophy.

Let's swap the scenario around. What's the difference?

Yes, but in a proper society the people would not give the government that power, because it is a controlled government, controlled by the very people who it would be defending/retaliating against or attacking. It would need reason in law and validity from it's citizens.

How would you protect innocent law abiding individuals from this gang?

Yes, but in a proper society the people would not give the government that power, because it is a controlled government, controlled by the very people who it would be defending/retaliating against or attacking. It would need reason in law and validity from it's citizens.

How would you protect innocent law abiding individuals from this gang?

Why can't a society come together in real time to combat specific threats voluntarily, versus maintaining a threatening structure to do?

I see no difference between the threat and the "protection" in comparing a gang and a government, except words on a paper. In practice they are the same, even in a limited format.

@Einherjar "The advocation that human beings possess liberty as a specific "inalienable right" is misleading and inaccurate. Only after liberty is made into a cultural value that resonates with us as reflecting some pristine, original condition that we should yearn for does it seems to us to have been there all along."

It is not society nor culture that forbids you to kill but the inalienable right of another man to live. That is also not a compromise between two rights but a line of division that preserves both rights untouched. The division is not derived from an act/order of society but from your own inalienable individual rights. that definition of that limit is not set by society but is implicit in the definition of your own right.

Freedom is the basic, the essential, the crucial principle. What is intrinsic is the principal of voluntary action versus physical coercion or compulsion. Men have always been free to agree or disagree, to cooperate or to pursue their own independent course, each according to his own judgment. Freedom is the fundamental requirement of mans mind and his survival.

Freedom is intrinsic.

I don't know if you're stoned or what but you seem to have no clue what you're talking about.

Because men would be reduced to guessing. Thye have to try to enter the mind of the legislator and divine his intentions, ideas, value judgments, philosophy etc... In practice the meaning of such laws is decided arbitrarily by everyone and no one and according to the methods that no one including the interpreters can define or predict. The only system of laws that excludes every element of the subjective is one that confines legislation to the protection of rights.

Mans need for a government of laws extends beyond the issue of stopping criminals too. two individuals can contract to trade their products yet innocently fail to understand the terms of their agreements in the same way. One person can then act on his understanding, honestly believing that justice is on his side, while the other honestly believes that the action violates his own right. The immense field of civil law indicates the range and kinds of disagreements possible to non criminals. This all leads to an essential function of government - the protections and enforcement of contracts. under this system, none of the parties need to (or may) decide unilaterally that he is the victim with the burden of taking physical action to repair his interest. This is where government acts to defend mans rights and prevent any arbitrary use of physicla force. The contractual protection for honest undertakings is a daily necessity of civilized ( separating man from men) life.

Okay let's try this one sentence at a time:

The only system of laws that excludes every element of the subjective is one that confines legislation to the protection of rights.

What do you mean by "element of the subjective"?
How can a law exclude "every element of the subjective"?
What does the concept of "rights" have to do with objectivity?
How do you know that protection of rights is the only "objective" purpose of laws?

You're making such sweeping generalizations (or sweeping use of quotations without accompanying citation) i can barely keep up with your assumptions, so you'll have to lay them out for me.

Sentence #2, for whenever you're done with the first:

It is not society nor culture that forbids you to kill but the inalienable right of another man to live.

How do you know this "inalienable right to live" exists? If this is something objective, then why are there no earthly consequences to violating this supposed "fundamental law of the universe" other than what society decides to implement?

Because men would be reduced to guessing. Thye have to try to enter the mind of the legislator and divine his intentions, ideas, value judgments, philosophy etc... In practice the meaning of such laws is decided arbitrarily by everyone and no one and according to the methods that no one including the interpreters can define or predict. The only system of laws that excludes every element of the subjective is one that confines legislation to the protection of rights.

Mans need for a government of laws extends beyond the issue of stopping criminals too. two individuals can contract to trade their products yet innocently fail to understand the terms of their agreements in the same way. One person can then act on his understanding, honestly believing that justice is on his side, while the other honestly believes that the action violates his own right. The immense field of civil law indicates the range and kinds of disagreements possible to non criminals. This all leads to an essential function of government - the protections and enforcement of contracts. under this system, none of the parties need to (or may) decide unilaterally that he is the victim with the burden of taking physical action to repair his interest. This is where government acts to defend mans rights and prevent any arbitrary use of physicla force. The contractual protection for honest undertakings is a daily necessity of civilized ( separating man from men) life.

This doesn't explain how it is impossible that the role of arbiter in domestic disputes be performed without a coercive infrastructure.

What do you mean by "element of the subjective"? The arbitrary gang.

How can a law exclude "every element of the subjective"? The law of identity does that quite well. An objective truth/right is upheld.

What does the concept of "rights" have to do with objectivity? you have the right to your own mind, how is that not objective truth?

How do you know that protection of rights is the only "objective" purpose of laws? The protection of rights are the only objective purpose to protect the individual. Laws are not a primary but a consequence.

How do you know this "inalienable right to live" exists? If this is something objective, then why are there no earthly consequences to violating this supposed "fundamental law of the universe" other than what society decides to implement?

Because it is only to a conscious living entity that things can be good or evil. and life is the good. Your ability to survive and keep yourself alive is evident enough. If you don't believe that you are anti-life.

There is no question about voluntary submission, the question is regarding secession from said order without having to vacate arbitrary geographical bounderies.

You said "voluntary and involuntary." It seems to me this includes people who have no desire to vacate said geographical boundaries and who also choose to abide by arbitrary legal parameters.

So in other words, you see only see positive action and human advances within the narrow field of political action.

Yours is the narrowest field: you're either anarchist, or you're statist.

I fail to see the relevance of freedom or subjugation only being understood when contrasted. They still are what they are. You are either able to act as the complete owner of yourself or you are not. A person's philosophical understanding of the situation is irrelevant to it's reality.

Your flaw is in believing there to be some vague, abstract ideal of freedom. Our valorization is based on a misleading notion our origins are somehow pure, or more pristine than our current condition; and that freedom is a basic unit of this purity. Absolute freedom is a fiction; anarchistic freedom, in my opinion, is not a lasting or worthwhile freedom.

The beneficial illusion angle is dangerous, since it is this illusion that every government since the Bernays/Goebbels propoganda revolution has sought to enhance, parallel to freedom and produce being removed.

It isn't a beneficial illusion, and I haven't been arguing that. I think people should be aware of the illusion they live under. I just don't think it's an excuse for anarchy.

I would argue it has not been nurtured in our society. Those preaching true freedom (no fallacy) have been marginalized by those currently on the receiving end of the illgotten gains of power, or those seeking to supplant them. Since those same people had control of the education and media for years, one dissident voice could not be heard by the masses. The internet is changing this.

I think you undermined your own point there by saying that the educational institutions and the media have bee nurturing this view. Of course there are people who see through the illusion, but our society doesn't acknowledge such individuals (as you said).

Surely this was a joke. You are suggesting that without the laws that the majority support, suddenly everyone would fall to murdering and fucking babies, and that without laws from a coercive entity that I wouldn't know when to defend myself?

It's not a joke. Without laws, yes; I think you would see a greater number of people engaging in such acts (not necessarily the vast majority).

The only thing inhibiting individuals from non positive action is themselves and other individuals. Government makes no affect on this. Considering the root, the methods, and the history of coercive government, it is the most regressive thing I can imagine.

You're saying that legal ramifications have no effect on whether or not people commit crimes? I don't think you have proof for such a claim, and I don't agree with it.

No one is suggesting a situation of "against every man, and every man against him". This would not happen anyway. People are generally "herd animals". Merely voluntary association and governance. It happens all the time on the micro level. There is no reason it cannot happen on a macro level. We do not need to rob and murder to prevent the same.

I know you're not suggesting such a situation, and this is really beside the point for me. My issue is that hierarhical institutions will not remain nonexistent in an anarchist state.

Also, you said defense. Post action justice is not defense. It is retribution. That is not defense. Government never defends anyone. They merely apprehend and confine the perpetrators at a further cost to society. This method of "justice" is insane.

This is an excellent point. And I'm glad there aren't police assigned to my place of residence to keep me safe from intruders.

The baby is humanity. Coercive government is the insane bather holding it down under the dirty bath water of violence.

Very eloquent. :cool:

The inability to think outside the statist box lends itself to satire...

I agree with everything you say about restriction and governmental limitation, Dak. I just don't agree with your proposed solution.

It is not an inalienable right of man to live; it just happens to be a fact of our physiology that we live. I'm not saying people shouldn't pursue their own personal livelihood, or just give up trying to survive; but to imagine there's an abstract value of life aside from a subject's simple instinct to preserve its life is incorrect.

Freedom is intrinsic.

Freedom is not intrinsic.

I have no idea what this means, but none taken. If I read collectivist philosophy, it's because it provides an intellectual critique of our current political/economic system. Furthermore, the critique of freedom as a value isn't necessarily a "collectivist philosophical" stance. The most immediate figure that comes to mind is Michel Foucault, who renounced his party ties and whose writing is much more Nietzschean than anything else. Nietzsche, as well, is an intense critic of the notion of "freedom."

@Jimmy i was going to write up a full reply to your last post but...

Because it is only to a conscious living entity that things can be good or evil. and life is the good. Your ability to survive and keep yourself alive is evident enough. If you don't believe that you are anti-life.
If you honestly believe using the fantasy concepts of "good" and "evil" gives your whole line of argument validity, i might as well be debating with Sarah Palin.

It is not an inalienable right of man to live; it just happens to be a fact of our physiology that we live. I'm not saying people shouldn't pursue their own personal livelihood, or just give up trying to survive; but to imagine there's an abstract value of life aside from a subject's simple instinct to preserve its life is incorrect.

Freedom is not intrinsic.

I didn't say there was an abstract value of life. I said man is consciously free to think and it is this intrinsic freedom that he values.

You said "voluntary and involuntary." It seems to me this includes people who have no desire to vacate said geographical boundaries and who also choose to abide by arbitrary legal parameters.

Sure. What is your point?

Yours is the narrowest field: you're either anarchist, or you're statist.

As opposed to being statist only. :p

Your flaw is in believing there to be some vague, abstract ideal of freedom. Our valorization is based on a misleading notion our origins are somehow pure, or more pristine than our current condition; and that freedom is a basic unit of this purity. Absolute freedom is a fiction; anarchistic freedom, in my opinion, is not a lasting or worthwhile freedom.

Of course on a planet of more than one human there cannot be "absolute freedom". We are talking about about individual sovereignty.

It isn't a beneficial illusion, and I haven't been arguing that. I think people should be aware of the illusion they live under. I just don't think it's an excuse for anarchy.

So we should consciously live under an illusion, never challenging it? I see no difference between the changes I support, and the changes abolitionists supported, and the same arguments are issued on both sides.

I think you undermined your own point there by saying that the educational institutions and the media have bee nurturing this view. Of course there are people who see through the illusion, but our society doesn't acknowledge such individuals (as you said).

How does this undermine my point? When the coercive structure has the overwhelming majority of waking hours for nonstop propaganda whether in the form of traditional education or media, and has done so for generations, what other outcome can be expected but a general acceptance of the desirability, or at least the unchangability, of the status quo?

It's not a joke. Without laws, yes; I think you would see a greater number of people engaging in such acts (not necessarily the vast majority).

This is pure conjecture and inadmissible. Laws do not stop criminals. Sexual crimes specifically, since they fall under the vice category. The prohibition did nothing to stop people from drinking.

You're saying that legal ramifications have no effect on whether or not people commit crimes? I don't think you have proof for such a claim, and I don't agree with it.

I wish I could find it again but so far have not been able to. There was a study done showing that speed limits made no great change on average driver speed. Laws stop those interested in "doing good", not those who disregard them. I can't think of any situation where I have heard someone say "I would murder/rape/steal but it's against the law". If they are afraid of the consequences, that is entirely different.

There will always be consequences for crime. Whether getting free room and board, college education, etc. or some actual form of justice.

I know you're not suggesting such a situation, and this is really beside the point for me. My issue is that hierarhical institutions will not remain nonexistent in an anarchist state.

Of course not. But they do not have to be involuntary.

I agree with everything you say about restriction and governmental limitation, Dak. I just don't agree with your proposed solution.

Violence begats violence. Either coercion is ok, or it is not. If it is, then there is no need for philosophy or discussion. We must merely seek to increase in physical/military power, etc.

I didn't say there was an abstract value of life. I said man is consciously free to think and it is this intrinsic freedom that he values.

Just because human beings have the innate capacity for self-reflection and self-consciousness doesn't mean freedom is innate.

Sure. What is your point?

That your plan falls apart when people begin deciding that they want government for themselves. The more appropriate solution would be for individuals to secede from a statist regime if they so choose, not to impose a global anarchy on all individuals.

Of course on a planet of more than one human there cannot be "absolute freedom". We are talking about about individual sovereignty.

You're neglecting individual sovereignty if you force people into an anarchist society.

So we should consciously live under an illusion, never challenging it? I see no difference between the changes I support, and the changes abolitionists supported, and the same arguments are issued on both sides.

My thoughts will seem controversial; but yes. I personally believe that being aware of the illusion doesn't mean we need to rid ourselves of the material constraints that impose it. The challenge lies in crafting a system in which the material constraints don't benefit a small economic/political minority.

How does this undermine my point? When the coercive structure has the overwhelming majority of waking hours for nonstop propaganda whether in the form of traditional education or media, and has done so for generations, what other outcome can be expected but a general acceptance of the desirability, or at least the unchangability, of the status quo?

Our society clearly nurtures such a notion of freedom because, as you said, the media and news outlets support this notion. Yet you claimed that our society does not nurture the notion of freedom we were discussing.

This is pure conjecture and inadmissible. Laws do not stop criminals. Sexual crimes specifically, since they fall under the vice category. The prohibition did nothing to stop people from drinking.

You're the one conjecturing. The Prohibition did actually stop a large portion of people from drinking. So I think you're wrong. Prove to me that the same amount of people who drank alcohol before the Prohibition also drank it during.

I wish I could find it again but so far have not been able to. There was a study done showing that speed limits made no great change on average driver speed. Laws stop those interested in "doing good", not those who disregard them. I can't think of any situation where I have heard someone say "I would murder/rape/steal but it's against the law". If they are afraid of the consequences, that is entirely different.

Who performed the survey?

Violence begats violence. Either coercion is ok, or it is not. If it is, then there is no need for philosophy or discussion. We must merely seek to increase in physical/military power, etc.

If coercion is "ok," then the need for philosophy and discussion is greater than ever.

That your plan falls apart when people begin deciding that they want government for themselves. The more appropriate solution would be for individuals to secede from a statist regime if they so choose, not to impose a global anarchy on all individuals.

You're neglecting individual sovereignty if you force people into an anarchist society.

Ah but it doesn't. I have no problem with people setting up government for themselves. The problem is when they force it onto other people.
Your arguement is no different than a slave owner, in responding to his slaves demand for freedom, saying "But your freedom aggresses aginst my right to own you".

My thoughts will seem controversial; but yes. I personally believe that being aware of the illusion doesn't mean we need to rid ourselves of the material constraints that impose it. The challenge lies in crafting a system in which the material constraints don't benefit a small economic/political minority.

The ultimate questions are of sovereignty and morality. If coercion is immoral, and the individual, sovereign. The intricacies of maintaining illusions falls under 'asking the wrong questions leads to wrong answers'.

Our society clearly nurtures such a notion of freedom because, as you said, the media and news outlets support this notion. Yet you claimed that our society does not nurture the notion of freedom we were discussing.

I must not have been clear. Official media and education institutions do not support a notion of freedom. It supports the coercive, corporatist, consumerist systems. In this system, slavery is freedom, and freedom is slavery.

You're the one conjecturing. The Prohibition did actually stop a large portion of people from drinking. So I think you're wrong. Prove to me that the same amount of people who drank alcohol before the Prohibition also drank it during.

In the interest of time, here is the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_during_and_after_prohibition

After prohibition was implemented alcohol continued to be consumed. However, how much compared to pre-Prohibition levels remains unclear. Studies examining the rates of cirrhosis deaths as a proxy for alcohol consumption estimated a decrease in consumption of 10-20%.[4][5][6] One study reviewing city-level drunkenness arrests came to a similar result.[7] And, yet another study examining "mortality, mental health and crime statistics" found that alcohol consumption fell, at first, to approximately 30 percent of its pre-Prohibition level; but, over the next several years, increased to about 60-70 percent of its pre-prohibition level.[8]

Within a week after Prohibition went into effect, small portable stills were on sale throughout the country.[9] California's grape growers increased their area about 700 % during the first five years of the prohibition. Grapes were commonly compressed into dry blocks and sold as "bricks or blocks of Rhine Wine," "blocks of port," and so on.[10] The mayor of New York City even sent instructions on winemaking to his constituents.

Organized smuggling of alcohol from Canada and elsewhere quickly developed. "Rum rows" existed off the coasts of large cities where ships lined up just beyond the three mile (5 km) limit to off-load their cargoes onto speed boats. Murder and hijacking were common in this dangerous but lucrative business.[11]

There was also the notorious and ever-present organized bootlegging. The country's scourge led to massive and widespread corruption of politicians and law enforcement agencies and helped finance powerful crime organizations. In addition to the murders of law enforcement officers there was an ever more common cause of death and disability caused by the bootleggers' illegal products. Many stills used lead coils or lead soldering, which gave off acetate of lead, a dangerous poison. Some bootleggers used recipes that included iodine, creosote, or even embalming fluid.[12]

The widespread corruption of public officials became a national scandal. In addition, it became very difficult to convict those who violated prohibition because public support for the law and its enforcement eroded dramatically. For example, of prohibition-related 7,000 arrests in New York between 1921 and 1923, only 27 resulted in convictions.[13]

Prohibition proved to be counterproductive in that it promoted the heavy and rapid consumption of alcohol in secretive, nonsocially regulated and controlled ways. "People did not take the trouble to go to a speakeasy, present the password, and pay high prices for very poor quality alcohol simply to have a beer. When people went to speakeasies, they went to get drunk.[14]

Drug use has exploded during the "War on Drugs". Why would the "War on Alcohol" have different results? You can still find old abandoned stills in the remote woods of North Carolina. Hard to study something that goes underground.

Who performed the survey?

I'm still trying to find it. Pretty sure it was a white paper about how speed limits aren't done properly and therefore are counterproductive. Read it years ago.

If coercion is "ok," then the need for philosophy and discussion is greater than ever.

Explain. But if coercion is ok, while you talk I'll be smashing your head in with a baseball bat. See how that works?

Edit: I found it. It was sponsered by the Federal Highway Administration.

http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/sl-irrel.html

The primary conclusion of this research is that the majority of motorist on the nonlimited access rural and urban highways examined in this study did not decrease or increase their speed as a result of either lowering or raising the posted speed limit by 4, 10, or 15 mi/h (8, 16, or 24 km/h). In other words, this nationwide study confirms the results of numerous other observational studies which found that the majority or motorist do not alter their speed to conform to speed limits they perceive as unreasonable for prevailing conditions

Ah but it doesn't. I have no problem with people setting up government for themselves. The problem is when they force it onto other people.
Your arguement is no different than a slave owner, in responding to his slaves demand for freedom, saying "But your freedom aggresses aginst my right to own you".

I think we agree more than I previously understood or let on. I wouldn't want total anarchy prior to individuals establishing government for themselves; but I do advocate your right to secede (or whatever you wish to call it) from the influence of a governmental institution.

In the interest of time, here is the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_during_and_after_prohibition

Drug use has exploded during the "War on Drugs". Why would the "War on Alcohol" have different results? You can still find old abandoned stills in the remote woods of North Carolina. Hard to study something that goes underground.

As far as I can tell, that article confirms that alcohol consumption decreased during Prohibtion.

Explain. But if coercion is ok, while you talk I'll be smashing your head in with a baseball bat. See how that works?

That's an exaggeration.

Edit: I found it. It was sponsered by the Federal Highway Administration.

http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/sl-irrel.html

Interesting.

As far as I can tell, that article confirms that alcohol consumption decreased during Prohibtion.

As I always say, follow the money. Wine growers expanded their operations by 700%. Bootleg runners and organized crime boomed. Bribery abounded. About the only possible legitimate statistic would be

Studies examining the rates of cirrhosis deaths as a proxy for alcohol consumption estimated a decrease in consumption of 10-20%

which certainly could be arguably within a margin of error or anomalous. Any studies based on questioning if someone drinks or tracking actual cash flow will be flawed, since the market was underground and the drinking hidden.

That's an exaggeration.

The person with the bat doesn't care what you have to say.

Interesting.

Isn't it though? And yet speed limits remain, and generally lower than what the population desires or will obey. If nothing else, speed limits and drug laws, for example, should tip people off that government is not by or for the people.

But regardless of all this Dak, the fact remains that making the unequivocal claim that legal ramifications or consequences aren't at all what keep people from breaking the law is false; it's quite clear that there are people who abide by the law specifically because it is the law. Now, perhaps we can say people don't abide by the law because of some inherent truth, but rather because they fear punishment.

"Laws do not stop criminals" is a somewhat paradoxical statement to make. People are not always-already criminals; they only become criminals once they've broken a law ("criminal" only possesses meaning as it's structurally opposed to "law"). I also agree that laws do not always stop people from breaking them; but the argument could be made that they have some dissuasive effect. I believe that Michel Foucault successfully proved that in a society of surveillance and strict consequences, individuals do in fact abide by the law if they feel transgressions might warrant some punishment.

Lastly, so that we don't lose sight of our own claims, I agree with everything you say about the illusion of freedom under a statist regime. What I think we disagree on is the nature of the illusion. For instance, I believe it's pointless to try and appeal to the lower classes of the Chinese citizenry with the Western value of freedom (i.e. "Don't you see how oppressed you are, throw down your chains, embrace the enlightening truth of democracy" etc.); I believe that both our society and Chinese society suffer from arbitrary and harmful political inhibitions, but I don't think you can claim that an objective, idealistic notion of liberty will function successfully in both societies.

The reason freedom and liberty mean so much to us is not because human beings have some innate notion of freedom, or inkling or kernel of it as an objective truth. We have a notion of freedom that has been nurtured by centuries of philosophical pondering and questioning, and has in turn been malformed and misshapen by media institutions and popular culture. These are the reasons freedom exists as a value for us, in the way it does.

Trying to use these same arguments to convince cultures that differ greatly is pointless because they will be steeped in their own traditions. The history of great thinkers does not comprise a unified lineage that leads us back to a pristine notion of truth; they merely comprise a tradition of thought.