3 red rings of death= F@ck My Life.

Oh, and it is really important to clean all of the old thermal grease off of there. This stuff http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010 is the best for it. You can use rubbing alcohol if you're on a budget though, it just takes longer.

Another thing, I have heard of people using a hair dryer to manually heat up the back of the board. I've never tried it myself, but it could work as a last resort..

So this is an ongoing problem with Xbox's? I'll never forget the PS2 disc read error problem that plauged millions of owners... And Sony never called it a 'problem' on their end... Charged everyone the $100 service fee to fix and all that's scrwed up is a weak magnet that clamps the disc.....

If Msoft is fixing those issues you guys have at no charge, then I give them a thumbs up.

So this is an ongoing problem with Xbox's? I'll never forget the PS2 disc read error problem that plauged millions of owners... And Sony never called it a 'problem' on their end... Charged everyone the $100 service fee to fix and all that's scrwed up is a weak magnet that clamps the disc.....

If Msoft is fixing those issues you guys have at no charge, then I give them a thumbs up.

Yeah, pretty much everyone who's ever had an xbox gets the red ring at some point.. It's just kind of inevitable. Microsoft fixes it for free for 3 years (it was one year originally, but they extended the warranty due to pressure from consumers), but after that you are on your own.

Yeah, pretty much everyone who's ever had an xbox gets the red ring at some point.. It's just kind of inevitable. Microsoft fixes it for free for 3 years (it was one year originally, but they extended the warranty due to pressure from consumers), but after that you are on your own.

Yup, overall I'd say it's pretty cool, but a) apparently it took A LOT of pressure from consumers for them to own up and extend the warranty (they did a fair amount of Sony-style denial for awhile as I recall), and b) since many 360's (including mine) often get system-killing errors other than the RRoD from nothing but totally ordinary use, it would've been nice if the warranty was extended for them too. I'm just glad mine was still covered, though my old roommate actually had the DVD drive on his over-1-year-old Elite kick the bucket, and Microsoft wanted $100 to fix it :Smug: Fortunately, though, he actually ended up getting the RRoD soon after, so he was set! :D

lol. I got the red ring about 2 months ago, tried the youtube techniques (wrapping it in a towel, and putting toothpics in it to stop the fan from spinning). It fixed it for a little while, but I got the red ring again about2 weeks ago.

I bought mine back in May of 2008, and it only had a year warranty on it so it was already expired. But xbox covers it as long as it's the 3 rings, or the E74 error.

I called-up xbox and they sent me a pre-paid UPS label. I have since sent it to them and have already gotten the email from UPS that they just sent it back to me a few days ago; so I should be getting it back any day now. Yay! :) I know how you feel though.

If I were you, just go to xbox.com and visit the support page. Register your console and submit the repair request online. It's MUCH faster than sitting on hold for 45 minutes trying to understand some fucking sand person's broken english. :-\

They are pretty quick about getting it back to you! Good luck tho!

I had one of the first Xbox 360 (Xenon board). After two years of INTENSE use I had the 3RL. I fixed it myself using the rubber mod and it worked for two more years. Then it crashed again and I was unable to solve it. I sold it on ebay (the power supply, the HD and some parts are valuable) and bought the new version (Jasper board). I can teach you the rubber mod, but I´m afraid that you are better just selling yours and buying one with a Jasper board.

little update....

Ok so just to be clear, I have voided the warrantee on mine so I can't send it in to microsoft (what can I say, I'm a DIY type of person).

I actually think I'm going to say fuck it and get a new one (refurb). Turns out a buddy of mine who works for EA, can get refurbs for dirt cheap so he'll trade me straight up for a mine and a few hours of PT lessons hahahaha.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and what not!