80's metal solo goodness clip - WITH VOCALS NOW!

grywolf627

Mar 16, 2006
Houston, TX
For those that were waiting to hear the full song from the 80's metal solo goodness thread, here is a preview clip, now with vocals...courtesy of John Lokke, AKA Rvs002 around here. He did all the vocals and wrote the lyrics (THANKS JOHN!! :worship:)

I just got the vocal tracks the other day and I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to handle them. I've only had time to compress/EQ them some and throw basic effects on them. But I think this is pretty close to what the final mix will be (with some automation and few other things):

"Changes" clip - NOW WITH VOCALS

Thanks again John, I owe you!! And thanks again Marcus! I still love your solo. It fits the song and works perfectly with my solo. Great stuff.

This sounds very professional for me. Very good singer!! Congrats for this great piece of 80´s hardrock! :) I already said something about the solos, but I want to emphasize, it´s fucking great, dudes :) Good work!

Thanks everyone! The song has become a labor of love (or obsession, which ever you want to call it :lol: ), trying to get everything just right.

Just awesome.. Now get going on Leaving!!! >;D

Will do, sir! I hope to put down the rhythm guitars for "Leaving" this weekend. Then you'll have a chance to break in your new gear. ;)

Sounds great Mark (and John of course! :D) Awesome harmonies and vibrato dude, and I like the panning Mark. However, there's something about them that makes them feel kinda small and boxed in - not muffled, just not very detailed/airy IMO. I dunno, I suck at describing vocals, but that's what comes to mind. What Mic did you use John?

Also, there's not by any chance a chorus on them is there? I guess it's probably the clean guitars that are making me think that...

Actually, the tracks are thinned out quite a bit, EQ-wise, I was a little nervous about thinning it out so much until I heard it in the mix. I haven't even touched the EQ on the backing vocal tracks yet. This was just done rather quickly. I'm still "living with" the vocals to get a feel for what I want. But I think I'm pretty close right now.

And there's no chorus, but there is a slight bit of doubler on the vocals. But I backed it off so much that I can barely hear it through my monitors and headphones. And don't be surprised if John hits you up for a solo for one of his projects too. ;)

Sounds great Mark (and John of course! :D) Awesome harmonies and vibrato dude, and I like the panning Mark. However, there's something about them that makes them feel kinda small and boxed in - not muffled, just not very detailed/airy IMO. I dunno, I suck at describing vocals, but that's what comes to mind. What Mic did you use John?

Thanks for the compliments, I had a great time working on this. I haven't really ever had the chance to sing anything like this before.

I used my SM-7 -> ART MPA Gold -> ART PRO VLA (just at 2.5 to 1 to even things out a bit on the loudest parts) -> POD X3. I'm pretty new at PC recording so I'm sure the DI tracks could have been much better. I've always done all my stuff into a Yamaha 2816 and just used Cubase for editing, but I am trying to learn to do it all in the box. I recently aquired a Yamaha 4416 so I think I will go back to that for vocals and then export them into the pc for editing.

I am willing to learn if anyone has any helpful advice though because I am currently in the middle of 3 projects, so any help would come at a perfect time.

John, your raw tracks sounded just fine. I just needed to thin out some of the lower mids, and some little boosts here and there, and that's about it (and compression of course). If you want details on the EQ, I'll check when I get home this evening.

Yeah, I think it's some of the eq'ing that might not be sitting too well with me Mark - if you could post the details that'd be great!

Yeah, I think it's some of the eq'ing that might not be sitting too well with me Mark...

Tough noogies...I like it. :p ;) Joking. :D But, I'm not going to change it much more than it is (the main vox I'm referring too...I have as yet to EQ the backing vocals). This is really close to the vocal sound I like, with maybe just a wee bit of finer tweaking. Let me see exactly what I did when I get home.

Okey doke. On the main vocals (which like everything else, I have a hard time EQing) I basically:

Small, semi-narrow cuts around 170Hz, 500Hz, & 1KHz.
Small, narrow boosts around 300Hz, 800Hz, 1.3KHz, 2.5KHz, 4.5KHz
Larger, semi-narrow boosts around 7KHz & 11KHz

The raw files were nice and clear John, just a little dark. I'm sure a characteristic of the mic. But from the sound of it, if I was still doing recording for other people, I'd have to pickup an SM-7. I like it's tonal quality for singing. (John, check your PM)

I still may do a tiny bit more tweaking, and some de-essing since I've boosted the highs. But I'm already liking it a lot.

Fuck yah! Reminds me of a mix of Dokken and Whitesnake... Are the drums programmed? or is there a real drummer playing that??? Any way you'd be down to share the tracks?? I would stoked to put some real drums to that. or just have to jam to. Long Live 80's hair metal!

Fuck yah! Reminds me of a mix of Dokken and Whitesnake... Are the drums programmed? or is there a real drummer playing that??? Any way you'd be down to share the tracks?? I would stoked to put some real drums to that. or just have to jam to. Long Live 80's hair metal!
Whoa, I know who you are...

ha ha, I know who you are too, thats funny, I've seen that drumset a few times. Whats up dude? You names Nick, right? I should probably change my name on this shit, I'm not really hatchet drummer any more ha ha.