80's metal solo goodness - with Metaltastic

grywolf627

Mar 16, 2006
Houston, TX
First of all, I didn't want to put this in the Rate My Mix section yet, as the mix still needs a lot of work. But I just wanted to say THANKS to Marcus (Metaltastic) and show off the solo he did.

I'm currently redoing some OLD songs of mine, just for the sake of finally giving them a proper recording instead of the old, borrowed 4-track and RadioShack microphone. LOL This is the solo section from one song that was heavily influenced by Don Dokken's solo album, and if you know it, you may hear striking similarities to some of the songs. :lol: But anyway, Marcus summoned his inner 80's hairy guitarist and traded solos with me. I've got the first solo, Marcus has the second. (nevermind the effects and the mix, this was just thrown together quickly last night)

80's Metal solo trading goodness (updated)

Marcus, thanks so much bro! :headbang: You did a great job. It compliments my solo and the entire song nicely. Perfect. I owe you! :kickass:

Noutern...you're up next. ;)

Edit: Updated the link with a louder solo version. Probably too loud now. :)

Thanks guys!! :kickass:

SWEET! Get a complete song done so we can hear the whole thing! Nice work guys.

Song is done, except for my obsession with the guitar tone. :) I just need to start cleaning up the mix and tighten a few things here and there. Then the part I hate the most...write lyrics (uggggh) and get someone to sing. I'll post it when I get it mixed properly (sans vocals).

mark can you give some details amps --drums?

For the solos, I'm just playing my old RG550 (stock neck PU)->Digi002->TS Secret->WagnerSharp 0.6->Voxengo Boogex (Poid's Englv30 HiPres impulse).

Marcus' chain is <probably his Ibby> ->TS7->Dual Rec->Stilletto Cab.

For my rhythm tone, I'm still obsessing over this. I've been working for a while to get as close to the sound on the CD as possible (and driving Marcus crazy making him listen to different tones lol). This current rendition is quad tracked with two tracks of a JCM800 patch from my POD 2.0 with impulses (RG550 with SD SH-12 Screamin' Demon bridge PU) and 2 tracks of WagnerSharp (Hellraiser) just barely mixed in for more midrange meat. I THOUGHT I was happy with it finally. But after listening to it all day at work yesterday, I think I can get closer.

Drums are EZ DFH, with Sonor snare. There is also a snare and kick sample from a D4 set of one shot samples I have blended in. (fat city snare, I don't remember the kick name). Still have a lot of tweaking to do there though.

For the solos, I'm just playing my old RG550 (stock neck PU)->Digi002->TS Secret->WagnerSharp 0.6->Voxengo Boogex (Poid's Englv30 HiPres impulse).

Marcus' chain is <probably his Ibby> ->TS7->Dual Rec->Stilletto Cab.

For my rhythm tone, I'm still obsessing over this. I've been working for a while to get as close to the sound on the CD as possible (and driving Marcus crazy making him listen to different tones lol). This current rendition is quad tracked with two tracks of a JCM800 patch from my POD 2.0 with impulses (RG550 with SD SH-12 Screamin' Demon bridge PU) and 2 tracks of WagnerSharp (Hellraiser) just barely mixed in for more midrange meat. I THOUGHT I was happy with it finally. But after listening to it all day at work yesterday, I think I can get closer.

Drums are EZ DFH, with Sonor snare. There is also a snare and kick sample from a D4 set of one shot samples I have blended in. (fat city snare, I don't remember the kick name). Still have a lot of tweaking to do there though.

Wow, thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the feedback! (and Mark, thanks for the props and public post, cuz you're right, I definitely wanted to show it off, and you should too! :D) As will come as no surprise, I think mine could come up a bit (or at least automated in certain spots), but otherwise perfect! Thanks again for the opportunity to contribute, and Notuern, I'm looking forward to hearing yours dude! (come on, chop chop! :heh: )