80s Thrash

I don't know why but Slayer is really all the thrash I need. I mean Reign in Blood is one of the 5 best lp's ever! Show no mercy, seasons in the abyss..... goddammit they knew how to make powerful albums.

On and on south of heaven!!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Voivod used to make some excellent stuff also..... Many people hate 'em though because of their totaly freaky sound. Newsted is gonna play the bass on the next one. Let's see what happens....

Originally posted by Don Corleone
i tend to like james' old vox more.

and yeah the justice album is my favorite metallica album. always. "one" is one of the greatest songs created by mankind.

The lyrics for 'One' confuse me. I think the song should stop after the first line if he cant remember anything:confused:
To Live Is To Die is a winner though

Originally posted by Strangelight
I think the song should stop after the first line if he cant remember anything:confused:
:lol:
And what about Four HorseMEN, Whiplash, Fight Fire with Fire, For whom the Bell Tolls, Fade to Black, Creeping Death, Master of Puppets, Orion, Damage Inc and Blackened? :)
They's all damn great. I tend to burn my Reload cd though. Load is still listenable if you keep the fact that it's Metallica playing out of your mind. Garage Inc is a party!

Ugh you guys are talking about the merits of Metallica, I really dont think much of them at all- Lars is the most overated musician in metal history, Kirk plays almost the same solo every song, and was newstead even in the band- cuz i never could tell. As far as I am concerned, only a few songs- Orion, To live is to Die, Dyers Eve- were any good, the rest were rather predictable and boring.
For my money,early, megadeth, testament and Kreator were both far better than Metallica, sodom was more fun, slayer more imaginative, testament had the best thrash soloist, and my fav thrash singer, and megadeth was far and away technically superior. Forbidden had some killer riffs, Violence is great- bad singer though, and Sepultura sucked, with Beneath sounding like a bad kreator ripoff.

Oh my god, you made me kinda angry now
Anyway, I'm not gonna flame you or anything, but it's probably your bad taste in music :p cos it can't be coincidence that Metallica (and I'm speaking of the old one) has/had such a solid fanbase. Lars ovverrated? Have you ever SEEN him drumming like for example on the Live Shit: Binge and Purge video? It's simply amazing. Kirk playing the same solos over and over again? I don't think so, I know he uses tapping quite a lot, but I see that as his trademark, and it sounds simply fantastic, and that's what is important. Newsted... Well I really liked him but I don't think it's fair that James and Lars never really accepted his contributions to the band. He was quite a good bassplayer though, not fantastic, but still good.
THE REST OF THE SONGS IS PREDICTABLE AND BORING?????????
What the hell... No single other band could compose great songs like For Whom the Bell Tolls or One.
Megadeth, Testament and Kreator are good, but they surely aren't as talented (yes, talented!) as Metallica, they don't sound as refreshing and they don't sound as addictive as M.
And I like Slayer, but in my eyes, this band is a bit overrated, I still like 'em though, but other thrash bands had more structure and variation in their songs. Still, Slayer is a big party.
Megadeth techically superior? *Sigh...*
And the worst thing you said: "Sepultura sucked"
Holy crap, I don't know a single other metalhead that thinks that albums like Arise or Beneath the Remains suck!! I just can't understand that you think that it's a Kreator rip-off!
I'd rather call Kreator a Slayer rip-off then! Songs like Inner Self or Arise DO have a good structure, unlike most Slayer songs. Man, Sepultura ripping off Kreator is a stupid thing to say... Sepultura is quite an influential band in metal history.
Anyway, I rest my case, I don't mean to offend you.
Peace

Originally posted by Forlorn Hope
Oh my god, you made me kinda angry now...

My hero of the evening!! :D
The guys from Metallica are doing some shitty stuff nowadays (I´m not talking about the music...) but they influenced the whole music scene in a way you cannot deny or ignore. They surely didn´t make it so far by doing the same song (or similar songs) over and over again. Band´s who do that today nobody will ever remember tomorrow and I don´t think that people (metalheads mainly ;) ) will forgett them that soon. They surely didn´t make it so far because of the good lookings and a good make-up artist *gg* ;)

I don't respect their change to Load and Reload, but I can understand that they try new things. They can't stick to the same style for 20 years, we gotta face that.
Load is listenable, except for Hero of the Day, horrible song. Songs like Bleeding Me or The Outlaw Torn are very good, you just have to keep it out of your mind that they can do better.
Reload on the contrary is not listenable. It's gay.

Originally posted by Eos
My hero of the evening!! :D
The guys from Metallica are doing some shitty stuff nowadays (I´m not talking about the music...) but they influenced the whole music scene in a way you cannot deny or ignore. They surely didn´t make it so far by doing the same song (or similar songs) over and over again. Band´s who do that today nobody will ever remember tomorrow and I don´t think that people (metalheads mainly ;) ) will forgett them that soon. They surely didn´t make it so far because of the good lookings and a good make-up artist *gg* ;)

Hmmm. Ive been told by two different bands that Metallica ripped them off in someway on their quest for stardom. Straight from the horses mouth like! Ya never know eh? Orion is great though. Hail Cliff

Load was decent. Reload was crap. Like Forlorn said Bleeding Me, The Outlaw Torn and a few other songs were very good.... Anyways, I prefer today's Metallica than today's Maiden....

no i am in no way offended- I maybe was abit hasty on early Sepultura- I do very much enjoy beneath

Yet I stand by Metallica comments, I am a drummer so i have rather limited knowledge fo the guitar, but anyway, Lars is great live- when he is playing the old stuff of course- but- even in the 80's there were better drummers- Lombardo and Hoglan were and still are far superior, and so was Nick Menza. Hell Lars admits he was never the best metal drummer. The reason Lars got so much publicity I think, is the fact Metallica mixed the drums so high, and Lars kinda started taking over songwriting duties- especially in Justice, and well the drums became a major player, overpowering the rest of the music. And just what the hell happened with him after Justice- it is as if, he kinda just didnt give a fuck- god the drumming is lackluster compared to the old stuff.

As for the rest of my comments- well everytime I hear a Hammet solo it sounds the same to me- guitarist friends I have, never have thought much of Hammet- so i guess this opinion has kinda of rubbed off on me.

And yes, just when besides a handful of songs, did Metallica have a different non traditional song structure?

Finally I admit I have a ax to grind with Metallica- they are the band that sold out- and never did anything to help the metal genre, would it kill them to take out a underground band once in a while? Or just a talented band?- since they have been the big headliners they have nothing but shit pop bands as openers. And quite honestly they were the first thrash band I ever heard- but they bored the hell out of me, and I had to look elsewhere- which was hard to do when the only thrash being played on the radio was Metallica.