Favourite Thrash album(s)

Kreator - Coma of Souls
Sodom - M-16
Heathen - Victims of Deception
Sabbat - Dreamweaver
Avenger Of Blood (New one is awesome!)

I'd say Sepultura - Chaos A.D. but they were moving away from thrash at that point.

Mallcore isn't a word. If anything Sepultura's Roots was a cross-pollinating metal landmark that is a percussion or worldbeat lover's wet dream. Ethnic drums with heavy guitars? Hell yes!

Yeah, I get the Korn comparisons, and a lot of the album is boring, but it's hardly shit.

Soulfly on the other hand...

By worldbeat I meant evoking the sense of global music. Much like Nile evokes images of ancient Egypt even though no one knows what ancient Egyptian music really sounded like.

anonymousnick2001 said:
By worldbeat I meant evoking the sense of global music. Much like Nile evokes images of ancient Egypt even though no one knows what ancient Egyptian music really sounded like.

We kinda have an idea of how the egyptian music sounded like but the area was overwhelmed by arabs-muslims during the middle ages and everything egyptian got filtered through them so it is more like a faint idea. Sad to say that maybe the only ancient tribe of eastern Europe that exists in it's true form to-day are the greeks and the italians (romans).
ANYWAY to get back to the point: i dont have a problem with what sepultura did. I really dont. Yet i would MUCH prefer if they changed the band name before moving onwards to so many radical changes - it would save them fans on both sides. I really can't listen to "against" knowing that this band once did Arise and Beneath the remains. It doesn't feel right.
T999

Well, don't get me wrong...I also think that about Against, Roorback, and Nation, but I still believe that the band gets way too much shit. I just tell myself that it's because Schizophrenia and Beneath the Remains were so thrashtastic and Arise was so brilliant. I figure people would have wanted more of the same. That's mostly why I like Chaos so much. It was so different.

And I can't stand a lot of Roots. Honestly. Aside from a few shining tracks, the album is generally spotty. I more appreciate the band's willingness to try something far out there. And it's still heavier than Korn's s/t by a mile. I can understand a lot of the criticism, and I'll usually let it pass.

NO ONE disses Chaos A.D. though. I literally can't stand it. The hate for that album just reminds me that all-out thrashers are boneheads who need to have riffriffriffriffriffrifftwiddleriffriff to be happy. I like Schizophrenia, but aside from "Inquisition Symphony," the tracks are practically interchangeable. They're all good, but I end up just playing the album cover to cover. On Chaos A.D. there are different tracks for different moods or feelings. Different rhythms, different speeds, and so much groove. I just totally dig it beyond all reason.

Trying to stop this from being some pointless argument or an off-topic rant, I'll say that I still love the thrash til' death stuff like Hellish Metal Dominate, especially when the riffs are so well-written. It really brings back feelings of 80's Kreator, but with that modern 'beefy' sound I dig from bands like The Crown.

hahah "beefy" sound! :tickled: That is one hell of a word - i'll remember that one!!

I liked Chaos A.D. for many reasons. Interestingly enough, even though it is still a thrash metal album, it sparked the beginning of a whole new genre of bands (thrashcore etc). It was like Metallica's black album. Even though the shit aint bad, from a point of view it is exceptional but not really my type of thing, it was SURE to evolve into something hideous (eg loads). Sadly this is the way things work. If you see a band do an album like Chaos AD (even if it kicks ass) when they once played like Arise, then you can rest assured that changes arent stopping just there. They are going all the way. Evolution in Heavy Metal is a hard thing to stop. Look at the seps. After Chaos, their most experimental album at that time, they did an ethnic-folk metal album called roots, then they hired a never before seen (in thrash metal) black singer and released totally different songs - and now who knows what they are going to do next. Once you decide to evolve - then the road goes on without stopping. The thing is, at least they are honest! They say it in interviews, they admit it, unlike other "hard brained" bands. "we once played thrash- now we dont like it no more - so we changed the style. what we play now is not metal." they say it openly and i like that.
As i said, the only thing that bothers me is that they should have changed the name. I cannot listen to Arise without thinking of how they play now. I bet i am not the only one. Sad as hell.

Most people into thrash are often real conservative assholes. they never really accept anything after 86-87. but hey, it may be true yhat the golden years are over. but still there are a good fuckin' lot of old-school cuntrippin' thrash-terror coming up.

Sauron
Toxic Holocaust
Flesh Made Sin
Jailor
Overlord
Deathchain
Astral Carneval
The Law
etc. etc.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
and creme de la creme...
Reign In Blood
Beneath The Remains
The Ultra Violence
The Legacy
Bonded by Blood
Ride the Lightning
Forbidden Evil
...the list goes on...

Blasphemic Bob said:
Most people into thrash are often real conservative assholes. they never really accept anything after 86-87. but hey, it may be true yhat the golden years are over. but still there are a good fuckin' lot of old-school cuntrippin' thrash-terror coming up.

i know what you mean. yet the term "glory days" is very relative. Yes, now things are more commercial but there are still good records comming up. Things are more mixed-up now if i may say so. See looks (jamaican hair are dominating thrash metal scene as opposed to the all time classic 80's white sport shoes and greezy hair) and see music (i just listened to usurper's new album. they have drum triggers and some tunes that even touch core material. imagine that..evolution ?!). Things are more mixed up but i think we have our moments nowadays.

Cryptkeeper said:
There is some awesome thrash out today. The sad thing is, dumbass metal magazines and websites are calling bands like The Haunted thrash, which they are NOT! There is some great, real thrash out these days, Drunkard being the prime example.

fuckin hell yea! Bands like The Haunted may have thrash influences but they are sure as hell not thrash. By the way, the new The Haunted album is soooooo without inspiration. Not one bit of it. I cant believe everybody is making such a noise about it. (i am talking about zines)

anonymousnick2001 said:
:lol: what the fuck is "global music?" Say "native music" or "Brazilian music" or something of the sort and I might be inclined to agree but heavy metal is far more "global music" than any sort of tribal stuff.

T999 said:
fuckin hell yea! Bands like The Haunted may have thrash influences but they are sure as hell not thrash. By the way, the new The Haunted album is soooooo without inspiration. Not one bit of it. I cant believe everybody is making such a noise about it. (i am talking about zines)
Heh, all their albums are without inspiration. I've only heard 3 songs off the new one, and all of them were complete shit.