80s Thrash

lovely thread this..
Thinking about 80s metal, in Holland we had this metal radio show, called VARA'S VUURWERK (Firework) and I think it was in '88 that they did a top 50 ,consisting of 51 songs actually,and last evening I was wondering how many songs I could recall from that list. I don't seem to have the tapes anymore, which is a real shame, but I come pretty close. This is for my one pleasure in the first place...

51 Testament - curse of the legions of death
50-11: Metallica battery,fade to black,am I evil,disposable heroes,welcome home,whiplash,fight fire with fire,metal militia,motorbreath
Iron maiden run to the hills,wasted years, rime of the ancient mariner,aces high, the trooper,hallowed be thy name,
Anthrax madhouse gung ho, among the living, indians,i am the law
Slayer postmortem,hell awaits, necrophobic,chemical warfare
megadeth peace sells..
vengeance power of the rock
bon jovi livin on a prayer ( they were the ultimate posers then and there was great relieve they had only one song high in the forties)
kiss detroit rockcity
accept fast as a shark
Y&T I believe in you
Stryper to hell with the devil
Queensryche roads to madness,queen of the ryche
Helloween how many tears
Ozzy mr. Crowley
Led Zeppelin stairway

F*ck, still miss four songs, that's gonna bother me the rest of this day,( it's so easy to waste your time)

But now for the top 10, Question of the week, Who can guess the most correctly ?
The answer is revealed on wednesday!

Originally posted by mars
Metallica battery,fade to black,welcome home,fight fire with fire
Iron maiden: wasted years, rime of the ancient mariner,aces high, the trooper,hallowed be thy name,
Led Zeppelin stairway

F*ck, still miss four songs, that's gonna bother me the rest of this day,( it's so easy to waste your time)

But now for the top 10, Question of the week, Who can guess the most correctly ?
The answer is revealed on wednesday!

Upmost songs are along my favourites! But LZ's Starway to Heaven isn't metal at all!!! anyway great song!
Top 10? Pfff For Maiden there should be Powerslave in it ('My Rime' is the best though, that's where my nick is coming from!)
Metallica's Master of Puppets and One
Other 80's songs that should reach the top 10... sjeezes... BTW Stairway to heaven is from 1971! then also Black Sabbath's Paranoid! these are my votes, can't make it to ten though...

Missed quite a discussion here :eek: What do you guys have against Metallica! :rolleyes: If you're saying they are crap (now there's not left much anymore...) you can just not deal with the fact that they become popular, and are not into underground... dzeezes you're sounding like those evil pandametallers...
It's a fact that they made 4 albums that are classics among heavy metal (including the black album, that is!) Making those album was really doing something for heavy metal, how many people are there around, which first album was a metallica-album! RESPECT! (as max tend to say as well ;) )

Originally posted by Mariner
Missed quite a discussion here :eek: What do you guys have against Metallica! :rolleyes: If you're saying they are crap (now there's not left much anymore...) you can just not deal with the fact that they become popular, and are not into underground... dzeezes you're sounding like those evil pandametallers...

Nah, its cos were getting old and like a good old moan:(

Originally posted by Bambi
Newstead said that most of metallicas songs are in the same key etc...either way they're boring now
thats true, E-key that is, but it's one of the most fun to play ine because you can grab easily to your basic E-chord, ooh yeah :headbang: I prefer Em for my compositions though, or Am :D
Don't imagine too much from me ;)

Originally posted by speed
Ugh you guys are talking about the merits of Metallica, I really dont think much of them at all- Lars is the most overated musician in metal history, Kirk plays almost the same solo every song, and was newstead even in the band- cuz i never could tell. As far as I am concerned, only a few songs- Orion, To live is to Die, Dyers Eve- were any good, the rest were rather predictable and boring.
For my money,early, megadeth, testament and Kreator were both far better than Metallica, sodom was more fun, slayer more imaginative, testament had the best thrash soloist, and my fav thrash singer, and megadeth was far and away technically superior. Forbidden had some killer riffs, Violence is great- bad singer though, and Sepultura sucked, with Beneath sounding like a bad kreator ripoff.

OBJECTION!

i have never liked lars and there is nothing THAT special about the guy, but kirk? no, thats true. you are mistaking "the same solos" to his style. every guitarist has a certain style of playing: the way they play a solo, the licks, etc. he is an amazing player. you are doing a great injustice to the guy.

I don't like him either (kirk) but I respect the guy! he's so fast :eek: and he's tapping well, but it has to be said, he's doing it all in the same positions... though great respect! Solo's are quite different.

Originally posted by speed
no i am in no way offended- I maybe was abit hasty on early Sepultura- I do very much enjoy beneath

Yet I stand by Metallica comments, I am a drummer so i have rather limited knowledge fo the guitar, but anyway, Lars is great live- when he is playing the old stuff of course- but- even in the 80's there were better drummers- Lombardo and Hoglan were and still are far superior, and so was Nick Menza. Hell Lars admits he was never the best metal drummer. The reason Lars got so much publicity I think, is the fact Metallica mixed the drums so high, and Lars kinda started taking over songwriting duties- especially in Justice, and well the drums became a major player, overpowering the rest of the music. And just what the hell happened with him after Justice- it is as if, he kinda just didnt give a fuck- god the drumming is lackluster compared to the old stuff.

As for the rest of my comments- well everytime I hear a Hammet solo it sounds the same to me- guitarist friends I have, never have thought much of Hammet- so i guess this opinion has kinda of rubbed off on me.

And yes, just when besides a handful of songs, did Metallica have a different non traditional song structure?

Finally I admit I have a ax to grind with Metallica- they are the band that sold out- and never did anything to help the metal genre, would it kill them to take out a underground band once in a while? Or just a talented band?- since they have been the big headliners they have nothing but shit pop bands as openers. And quite honestly they were the first thrash band I ever heard- but they bored the hell out of me, and I had to look elsewhere- which was hard to do when the only thrash being played on the radio was Metallica.

cheeky bastard :mad:

MY God nothing better than this: :headbang:

Slayer:
Show no mercy
Reign in Blood (The best thrash album of all time)
South of Heaven
Seasons in the Abyss

Sepultura:
Morbid/Bestial D.
Beneath the Remains

Metallica:
Kill em All

Testament:
The Legacy

:hotjump: