A beginners guide to extreme metal...

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
Im bored, and hot. A lot of people ignore albums because they are labelled death metal, or black metal or shit or whatever. So heres a list of "extreme" metal albums along with a couple of tracks from each to download if you can be bothered looking on Kazaa or whatever :headbang:

Altars Of Madness - Morbid Angel: If you like thrash you will like this album, the vocals are perfectly understandable too, they get a death metal tag but thats rather misleading as nobody else in death metal sounds even remotely like them. Some of the riffs can sound a bit bizarre at first though because Trey (the guitarist) is, shall we say, different. But thats what gives them their individuality. Anyway, its not a huge leap from something like Reign In Blood to this album, so get Immortal Rites or Chapel Of Ghouls to see how right I am :headbang:

Blessed Are The Sick - Morbid Angel: This ones very different to the first album, they added really slow doomy/Sabbathy riffs, acoustic stuff, keyboards, and straight out thrash stuff. One of the biggest leaps ive seen from a band, its miles ahead of AOM when it comes to songwriting skill, not that AOM is bad, but if you buy both albums you will see how far ahead of everything this album is. Songs to get: Fall From Grace, Desolate Ways, Thy Kingdom Come

Sons Of Northern Darkness - Immortal: This album rules, and is kind of 80s thrash crossed with some black metal, you definitely couldnt mistake these guys for anyone else though, they have a pretty unique sound and can run across snowy mountaintops in corpse paint and no shirt with the best of them. Very epic style of songwriting on this one, and Abbath still sounds like a lizard when he sings, even if you can understand all the vocals. Get: Beyond The North Waves, Antarctica, One By One (This song is worth it for the awesome riff at the end and the way Abbath pronounces meadows as MEEEEDOWS!)

Vs. The World - Amon Amarth: :worship: Great album. These guys are so under rated, hardly anyone ever seems to mention them. They sing all about Vikings and Ragnorak and Odin and stuff. They even have a song called Over The Rainbow Bridge and its not a Village People anthem. Just download Death In Fire and For The Stabwounds In Our Back.

Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia - Dimmu Borgir: This ones for Sydo, because he likes Dragonlord, and this album is 100 times better than Dragonlord, even though Dragonlord rules too. Very thrashy, lots of classic metal riffs, brlliant keyboards, its pure genius distilled in musical form and black metallers hate them, and thats as glowing a recommendation as there is! Get: Blessings Upon The Throne Of Tyranny and Kings Of The Carnival Creation or just buy the album. Id buy the album.

Death Cult Armageddon - Dimmu Borgir: This ones a bit slower and more gothic than PEM, it sounds like the soundtrack to a Tim Burton movie put to heavy metal. You have to hear it to understand what I mean, so get: Lepers Among Us, Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse and Alliegiance.

Storm Of The Lights Bane/Where Dead Angels Lie - Dissection: :worship: :worship: I love this album, brilliant guitar melodies Iron Maiden would be jealous of, the lyrics are fantastic and the acoustic parts are genius. Even though the lead singer is a psychopath of biblical proportions, just ignore it and copy the cd off someone, that way you get great music and he gets no money! Heres some songs to steal first: Nights Blood ( :worship: ) and Unhallowed

Cast In Stone - Venom: This ones not extreme metal, but it kicks so much ass im including it. I never see it mentioned anywhere :cry: It needs love, so go buy it! Get: Evil One, Flight Of The Hydra

Necronemesis - Usurper: Old sounding 80s heavy metal, and they dress up in huge spiked armbands and stuff, so you have to admire that. Definitely the least extreme band of all of these, but they still rock. Get: The Incubus Breed and Warriors Of Iron And Rust.

Phloggy is probably the only person who will get all these MP3s because he is a cable whoring biznatch with the bandwidth to make mortal men jealous, so he can review the songs for you if he feels like it. But they all deserve a 10.

Out of all those bands Spawny, I would only consider one of them extreme. Your taste in music is such, that you can tell that you buy terroriser on a regular basis.

Dissection IS awesome, but dont buy the album, just copy it from someone else or download it on MP3 :headbang:

I was going to list Visions From The Darkside, thats one of my favourites as well, especially the weird harmonies and the slow sludgy bit near the end :headbang: I figured the easiest 2 to listen to when first hearing them would be Immortal Rites and Chapel Of Ghouls as those were my two favourites on first listening to the album.

At The Heart Of Winter is one of the best albums ever, you are out of your mind! Average... How dare you! I have a bootleg of them on that tour and its awesome :headbang: Damned In Black is quite good, but not as good as SOND and ATHOW, Damned would be the hardest to get into out of their last 3 albums by far.

You cant possibly be stupid enough to not realise why I chose the bands and albums I did to introduce people who normally would stay well away from something labelled black, death or extreme metal.

Extreme was even in inverted commas and just used as a general name for them.

No, you just chose the bands that were recomended to you, and what everyone else always has recomended to them. If people on this board haven't heard Morbid Angel yet they are obviously deaf. The only band worth any merit on your list is Amon Amarth.

There I said it, I hate Morbid Angel, sue me, I think they are shit.

They are better than spawn though, cos he's a softcock.

Sorry Spawny, I forgot you were EXTREME now. I remember when you bagged it all out, It's all garbage, I hate death metal and black metal, blah blah.

It just goes to show, that you are a cumguzzling jew.

Most of it IS garbage. The worst albums I have ever heard have all been from the death/black genre. How many death/black metal bands are there? Tons. How many are actually any good? Maybe 10 percent. That 10 percent is extremely good and technically gifted, but that doesnt make the other 90 percent less shit.

Theres more shit in both black and death metal than any other genre because so many of them seem to think blast beating and growling indecipherably are what makes the genre good.