A burning question...

my bro just bought a ferrari in cash so you'd better think again! All I need is a glass or two of Red wine and I'll be nipping round to his gaff doing Yngwie style photo sessions.
The computer industry is ridiculous, way more money to be made. It works on the same principle, with advances and royalties etc, just a shit load more games sold than cd's these days!
With studio overhead/costs etc I'm comfortable, I don't have any sibblings bleeding me dry etc, just the price of living in the UK, which isn't great.

We were away alot in Sabbat, anyone that remembers us, will remember we were recording in Germany and touring alot back then, so I don't think we were too much of a burden on our parents LOL.

Andy Sneap said:
my bro just bought a ferrari in cash so you'd better think again! All I need is a glass or two of Red wine and I'll be nipping round to his gaff doing Yngwie style photo sessions.

Uhm Does he work for a big company like Electronic Arts or something like that?
It's really strange... I think he's a big boss, maybe working in the headquarter.
A very good senior programmer who works for a big company can't buy a ferrari, ok here in italy a good senior programmer who spent many years in programming maybe can earn 2500-3000 per month.
But I still think it's far way better working as producer!
It's not that good working all day in front of a stupid machine and going mad for stupid customers.
Music's better than programming!

Maurizio

yep thats my job!! Believe me any job becomes just a job after a while.
Re: brother, they are now biggest company in UK working for Disney, EA , Nintendo etc.
He and 3 friends started the company 15 years ago so they are at the better end of the food chain these days. He's put alot of hard work into it so fair play I say.

Andy Sneap said:
yep thats my job!! Believe me any job becomes just a job after a while.

Well it's five years now that I'm working as a programmer, I can't stand it anymore.
I want to live just with music, I have done just 2 demos and I'm improving all the time: from this shit (my band first demo '04) to this good one (new demo '05)
and I can say thanks to you andy! this forum works really good!!!!

Maurizio

@ShokaiShimizu - Having lived in New York my whole life and having worked in the studio world hear for the past 4 years, and just finished the college hunt myself(one of the schools I looked at was your one, which I guess shall remain nameless heheheh), I'll tell you what I've learned. First, internships are key. Seriously, not only will you learn everything you need doing them, but you'll also establish connections in the industry, while working in a position that has the potential(if you play your cards right) to turn into a real job. Schools with such limited focus such as SAE aren't exactly the best bet for an industry like the studio one right now in New York(although the current size of it isn't exactly as magnificient as it used to be, it's still a big industry). Your knowledge will for the most part be on a textbook level, and your connections will be made up of primarily your fellow classmates. Relying on people in the same position as you isn't the best bet for laying future professional relationships. Personally, I'd say either stick it out at your current school and try to soak up as much information about recording EVERY genre that you can, as making money engineering and producing metal isn't exactly an easy thing to do.
I began an internship 4 years ago at a studio that used to be one of the bigger ones here in New York. After a year, the head engineer quit, and I was promoted to engineer. This was all made possible by my doing everything I could find in the studio, whether it was sweeping or grabbing lunch, or setting up the newest piece of gear and assisting sessions. Two years after this, the studio closed its doors, but instead of letting me go look for other jobs with the other engineers, my boss took me in as his personal engineer(he's a producer/composer). I spent the next year working for him, until about a week ago when I was offered a job as an Audio Editor for a large advertising agency. This fall, I'm attending the NYU Clive Davis Department of Recorded Music to focus on producing, promotion, managing, label stuff, etc. Basically, I'm trying to branch out. Hope this was a little bit helpful in some way, I dunno, I'm exhausted.