A few more reviews on Dark Deceiver!!

ZHJ&T

Dec 7, 2002
www.zerohourweb.com
I know we've had a lot of reviews come in and received some good ones today. We're in the new Metal Edge magazing (July issue) Page 22. Hope to get some mag interviews up soon for everyone.

Going to see Return to Forever tonight....Should be awesome.

Jasun

http://www.metalexpressradio.com/menu.php?main=reviews&id=2582

ZERO HOUR - Dark Deceiver
Sensory
Metal Express Rating: 9.5/10

Release Date: 2008-04-28 by: FRANK JAEGER
Email: frank (at) metalexpressradio (dot) com
write/read comments

zerohourdarkdeceiver.jpg
One of the highest valued Progressive bands of the decade returns with their successor to Specs From Pictures Burnt Beyond called Dark Deceiver. The outfit centered around the Tipton brothers Jasun and Troy continues down the road between Progressive Metal and Technical Thrash as they have done before. The result is their fifth release which floats in the same spheres as the other albums from Zero Hour since A Fragile Mind: somewhere between ingenuity and insanity, which seems to be separated only by a narrow ridge for the two expert musicians on bass and guitar.
Every album can be characterized by the following attributes: it contains more notes than all AC/DC songs combined; the catchyness is somewhere between Meshuggah and white noise, the complexity comparably to calculating Pi upon the tenth decimal place – in your head; and mighty Yngwie would eat his guitar upon first hearing. Baseline is that every album was a potential Metal album of the year, and so is Dark Deceiver.
Starting with their opening track “The Power To Believe” the show off level of technical abilities and virtuosity is sometimes overwhelming. The only comparisons one may find is aforementioned Meshuggah, Anacrusis, Arcane, Watchtower, Alarum, Extol and “Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence” from Dream Theater. If one likes those bands and compositions, this is the album for you. Because if one does not take the time to fathom the depths and find joy in second long details, the album deserves only one attribute: demanding.
The one thing that keeps it all together is singer Chris Salinas, maybe known to many for his former band Power Of Omens. He was already the singer on Specs From Pictures Burnt Beyond but has improved considerably, and his melodic voice adds a touch of smoothness on top of the compositions, like putting a thick blanket over a bed of nails. It still stings, but is much more tolerable. Now, for those who know the other releases already, here is a more detailed comparison which is likely to be lost with people not thoroughly familiar with the Americans: Overall, the album is probably superior to the first three releases, as good as they already were, but cannot push from the throne. Also Specs From Pictures Burnt Beyond is slightly superior as it feels more of one mind than their 2008 release. One of the reasons if the Bass instrumental “Tendonitis” which is unfittingly placed in the middle of the album and marks the low point of the album, in spite of Troy’s incredible Bass play. Dark Deceiver on the other hand features the 12 minute long “Inner Spirit” which is one of the best, if not the best song from Zero Hour to date, and “Ressurection”, which also beats every song on the 2006 release. The verdict is very simple: If you know Zero Hour and like Techno Thrash, get the album. If you do not and rather have it rocky and straight, keep your money. If you don’t know and want to try, buy A Fragile Mind.
[/COLOR]

Bang Bang Mag Review
A very good review I'm told from Fusion 3 our distribution in Canada.

image001.jpg

[SIZE=-2]http://www.metal1.info/reviews/reviews.php?rev_id=2892[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]
2892.jpg
[/SIZE]Aus dem Frickelprog-Lager gibt es Neuigkeiten zu vermelden: ZERO HOUR, das Vierergespann, das vor zwei Jahren mit dem fantastischen „Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond“ zumindest bei mir derbe Eindruck hinterlassen hat, ist mit einem neuen Silberling am Start.

„Dark Deceiver“ heißt das gute Stück, das wie schon der Vorgänger von Chris Salinas (Ex-Power Of Omens) Gesang „veredelt“ wird: Veredelt in Anführungszeichen, denn sein Gesang ist wie auch die extrem komplexe und harte Mucke der vier Herren alles anderes als einfach konsumierbar. Schon im siebenminütigen Opener fallen untraharte Riffgewitter und übel nach vorn preschendes Schlagzeug über den Hörer her und lassen keinerlei Möglichkeit zum Verschnaufen. Währenddessen wechselt Sänger Chris Salinas aus schwindelerregend hohen Höhen zu tiefsten Tiefen und deckt auch alles dazwischen mit den oftmals sehr unmelodiösen Gesangsarrangements ab. Easy Listening ist bekanntlich etwas anderes.

Anhänger der Band wird es freuen, dass die Jungs so konsequent und kompromisslos ihr Ding durchziehen, Freunde von Ohrwurmmelodien und eingängigen Kompositionen hören aber besser etwas anderes. Im Titeltrack „Dark Deceiver“ gibt es immerhin ganz kurze Ruhephasen mit melodischen Gitarrenfiguren, wie sie der Vorgänger zuhauf zu bieten hatte. Das darauffolgende „Inner Spirit“ ist mit 12 Minuten die längste Nummer der Platte und ergänzt die Stilpallette um technoiden Sprechgesang. Außerdem ist hier mehr als genug Zeit und Raum für ausführliche Gitarrensoli von Jasun Tipton und entsprechende Bass-Action seines Bruders Troy. Zartbeseitete Seelen werden spätestens bei diesem Track aussteigen, vermutlich ohne jemals den wundervoll melodischen Zwischenpart ab Minute 6 gehört zu haben, der das perfekte Gegenstück zu vorher ausgelebten Instrumental-Madness ist. Fast vier Minuten Genialität, ehe es ohne große Überleitung wieder direkt mit der Frickelitis losgeht!

„Ressurrection“ hat soetwas wie augenscheinliches Songwriting und Strukturen, die die sofort klar sind. Selbst die Melodien sind hier ohrenfreundlich. Toll und gut zum eingewöhnen, von daher auch als Anspieltipp zu empfehlen – zumal es noch nicht einmal vier Minuten lang ist.

Mit dem kurzen, noch nicht einmal 1 ½-minütigen Zwischenspiel „Tendonitis“ beweisen die Herren dann eindeutig Humor, schließlich heißt der Songtitel auf Deutsch übersetzt Sehnenscheidenentzündung und zu hören gibt es: ein Bass-Solo! Die restlichen Tracks servieren das gewohnte Brett und atmosphärischen Zwischenparts. Damit geht zwar deutlich Abwechslung flöten, aber dafür ist die Platte ja auch nur gute 44 Minuten lang. Der letzte Track, „Severed Angel“, setzt einen deutlichen Schlusspunkt: Wirre Rifffragmente aus dem Album werden hier mit Hall versehen und erzeugen bedrückende Dramatik. Dann hat man aber auch ersteinmal genug von der ZERO HOUR-Mahlzeit!

Dennoch gilt: Die Jungs sind was Besonderes. Bei weitem nicht jedermanns Sache, aber doch immer wieder für einen Kick gut. Und letztendlich sichern sie sogar den Fortbestand einer in der letzten Zeit viel zu spärlich besetzten Musiksparte, die in den Achtzigern einmal von Bands wie Watchtower gegründet wurde.

Insgesamt ist „Dark Deceiver“ ein weiteres gutes Album im Katalog der Band, bietet allerdings im direkten Vergleich mit dem Vorgänger im Prinzip nichts Neues. Da die Songs von „Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond“ zudem in sämtlichen Stimmungen intensiver und irgendwie mystischer daherkamen, fällt eine absolute Spitzenwertung dieses Mal aus.

Bewertung: 8/10
Redakteur: Sebastian Mack (Profil)

I just wrote this for iTunes, because I had to be the first to review it there. I seldom do reviews, but this album rules so much I had to praise it to the masses!:kickass::kickass:

Brett

Technical, Perfect, Progressive Metal Five Stars

Dark Deceiver finds the mighty Zero Hour at their all time best. This is the most cohesive and technically proficient Zero Hour CD yet! Every song is solid on this album. It's starts off with the "Power to Believe" which is a jaw dropper from start to finish. Troy Tiptons bass flourishes floating on top of Jasun Tipton's flawless and driven leads are absolutely crazy! Mike guy's drumming is also pure power driving this tune forward with force! And of course Chris Salinas is one of the best and versitile vocalists in Metal. Next is "Dark Deciever" and again this is a ripping fast rhythmnfest with Salinas soaring into the stratosphere with inhuman ability. "Inner Spirit" is the most diverse song on the album with mellow bits and haunting chants that are beautifully blended into the heavy bits. "Ressurection" might be my least favorite song on this CD but it still rips 4 stars. "Tendonitis" is Troy Tipton throwing the bird at the affliction that has at times slowed this juggenaught of a musician down... Right on Troy Boy! Continuing on the remaining songs are equally great. With "The Temple Within" providing dizzying passages of rhythmic bliss. Salinas gives one of his best vocal performances on this tune but overplays the whispering just a bit for my ears but it does not take away a bit from the song. "The Passion of Words" is the most accessible to non-progrockers out there with a great chorus and somewhat more melodic and predictable passages, also one of my favorite tracks. If you appreciate great heavy technical progressive metal, give this thing about 10 spins before you put it down, because by then you'll never be able to get it out of your player, because it's that great!!

Thanks man for writing this review on iTumes as that is A big help to us. Thank you for taking the time to do that because we need that help bro.

BRETT IS THE MAN and we'll have to catch up Friday night at BARfest my bro. You ALWAYS support us man and I can't thank you enough bro for that.

Jasun

BRETT YOU RULE!!

Thanks man for writing this review on iTumes as that is A big help to us. Thank you for taking the time to do that because we need that help bro.

BRETT IS THE MAN and we'll have to catch up Friday night at BARfest my bro. You ALWAYS support us man and I can't thank you enough bro for that.

Jasun

Here is a bogus review from the cats at MetalReviews.com

http://v2.metalreviews.com/

"ZERO HOUR - Dark Deceiver
Sensory Records

Dark Technical Progressive Metal

9 songs (44'43)
Release year: 2008
Zero Hour, Sensory Records

Zero Hour, lead by the brother combo of Jason (guitars/ keyboards) and Troy (bass) Tipton has built up a reputation as being a very talented progressive metal band and virtual veterans of the U.S. prog metal scene with 5 albums released to date. Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond, released in 2006 saw the debut of new vocalist Chris Salinas (ex-Power Of Omens) who is the third frontman in this band's history. For those not familiar with Zero Hour, picture a darker, more technical version of Dream Theater, add a dose of abstract Queensryche Rage For Order influences; mix in a little of the 90's era Fates Warning and top it off with the technical wizardry and weirdness of King Crimson.
Zero Hour is a band that bombards the listener with endless guitar/bass scale runs with the vocals of Chris Salinas added more as an instrument rather than offering the listener any sort of hook or melody to compliment the song. The opening four tracks Power To Believe, the title track Dark Deceiver, Inner Spirit and Resurrection all share very similar scale run-laden guitar riffing and a very chunky and abstract heaviness. In fact, the guitar parts for several of these tracks are so similar that I had to keep going back to make sure that I hadn't heard this before. Quieter, clean guitar laden passages often break up the barrage of technical riffing and odd time signature "noodling", offering a nice break in the action. The use of synthesized vocal effects and very theatrical Geoff Tate vocal techniques adds an ominous tone to several tracks with others featuring some higher pitched Halford like screams. The Temple Within is a great example of the Geoff Tate style of using "character" voices that range from whispery tones to gut wrenching emotional wails. The speedy, muted, dark and heavy riffing on this track gets a nice boost with the passionate vocals and a more sense of melody especially for the last half of the song. The Passion Of Words continues with the heavy, passionate and abstract tone yet with more of a Nevermore flavour. Tendonitis sees Troy Tipton offering a little exercise in fret board gymnastics and the album closer Severed Angel uses wild riffing, sequencer effects and an overall Pink Floyd vibe.

It's a fine line between what some people would call pure genius and what others would call nothing but abstract noise. Zero Hour walk a fine line between the two. This band has extremely talented musicians and with Dark Deceiver, we see a trend towards an even more technically complex sound with more modern and even industrial like elements. It takes several listens to really "get" what the guys are trying to achieve with this album and even after 4 or 5 listens, I'm not quite sure that I ever will. The endless fret board gymnastics between Jason and Troy Tipton get a little tired after a while and although I applaud them for attempting to create something a little different and more extreme in the prog metal genre, this album is almost devoid of any discernable hooks or melodies to give this album any staying power with the average listener. This one might be a little hard to "digest" for the average prog metal fan and is targeted at those who like the more extreme and very technical aspects that prog metal has to offer.

Killing Songs : Power To Believe and The Temple Within Marty 70 / 100"

FLU BOY: HA!!!! 70/100!! HA!! GIVE ME A BREAK, MORE LIKE 700/100!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]<B>http://www.hardrockhaven.net/interviews2008/TTipton08.php

Interview
Troy Tipton Zero Hour
Interview June 2008​
by Matthew Hoffman
Staff Writer
tt.jpg
HRH:
What was the event that began your relationship with the bass guitar?
Troy: Much like many other bassists. I had two buddys, one played guitar and the other one was a drummer. So I asked my dad for a bass guitar. He said come back to me and ask me again if you are still interested one month from now. So my pops eventually bought me a bass. Then I started to take lessons.
HRH: What were your earliest passions and musical influences?
Troy: I was into guitar heroes like Paul Gilbert, Friedman, Yngwie, Vinnie Moore and Tony MacAlpine. Then I thought man would it be cool to do some of this stuff on bass. Years later I got into Stanley Clarke and “real” bassists to learn some more melodies. Originally I was a Ritchie Blackmore fan (first band he loved was Rainbow) then my friends started coming to me and saying man you have to hear this guy, have you heard this guy? You know from the Shrapnel Era. But those guitarists also had great bass players and drummers as well. Growing up I always thought Steve Harris was the beginning and end of bass guitar greatness. That was until I heard Wally Voss. I had never heard someone on a bass do those kinds of things. Hearing the first solo on that album (Joey Tafolla-Out of the Sun) made me see what “really” was possible. Those guys are still the best of the best. I remember reading a comment from Billy Sheehan back in the late ‘80s when asked “Where do you see it going from here?” He said that “technically” it has reached its peak. And interestingly enough “grunge” took over a few years later.” Now it’s back but the originators are still the ones that set the bar and none of the modern guitarists have exceeded them.
HRH: I agree 100%. Back in 2005 I went and saw Yngwie Malmsteen perform in Baltimore and dude, sacrilegious or not, it was a spiritual experience. I mean how
can you top records like his Live in Leningrad album?
HRH: As you read in my review I really liked the “Tendonitis” instrumental on the record. It is a really cool track. As it starts it seems to be simply a cool bass note intro, and then you realize it’s a complete expert bass instrumental. What’s the story behind the song?
Troy: (I also teach bass) that’s my main pay job. So this one was a way to get my students to start improvising. It’s five different parts or lessons. The first parts in the key of C Major, then G Major adding F Sharp, then you go up to D Major, then A Major and then finally E Major. So Jasun came to me and needed to fill time on the album, so he suggested I play this as filler for the album. Somehow I put all the pieces together and actually nailed it in one take, then immediately put a huge bag of ice on my arm. I asked Jasun what should we call it and he immediately said “Tendonitis.”
HRH: How can I ask you another question after that perfect story? Well thanks a lot for your time Troy, goodbye and good night. Ha ha (laughing).
HRH: OK what the F is “Hi I’m Troy boy can I take your order.”
Troy: It’s our producer Dino Alden’s son Cameron, spoofing me as my father always called me “Troy Boy” growing up.
HRH: Current influences, favorites lately?
Troy: As far as bassists, Michael Manring with his bridge hip shots incredible, while Jeff Schmidt, Richard Bona, Victor Wooten. I am also a fan of Tony Choy (Atheist, Cynic, Dutch Pestilence) and his slap and pop technique and jazz angles within metal. As for bands I really dig Sikth, Between the Buried and Me, Meshuggah and Protest the Hero.
HRH: Album cover features a man with a line through his eyes, and the title track “Dark Deceiver?”
Troy: I wrote the lyrics to “Dark Deceiver” at that time I went through the phase, we were trying to make four of the songs a concept album but this song is so heavy I couldn’t stay with the positive vibe of the concept. A long time ago I had put out there the idea of a guy who falls asleep he dreams that he kills his girlfriend, he wakes up holding a knife with his girl bloody and he has become alter ego, a dream became a reality scenario. But I used to watch a lot of horror films though so maybe that’s where it came from. Everybody trips out that I wrote this because I am such a non-violent guy (laughing).
HRH: I recently have been analyzing my life much closer as a husband and a father within my Christian faith. I have trying to eliminate the Satanic bands from the mix even ones that really aren’t but pretend that they are. A good example is Slayer. Kerry King was quoted as saying he wrote the songs early on based on his love of horror films and was not into Satan. I was the biggest fan of their ‘80’s stuff but starting with God Hates Us All and most recently Christ Illusion I have given up on them. What’s your take on that aggressive type of music that may or may not glorify Satan?
Troy: The bottom line is that their best albums are behind them like Reign in Blood (which was amazing) so they probably think they need the shock value for album sales. I also saw a piece on King that said he grew up Catholic I believe, so it’s stupid, I agree with you.
HRH: Your album seemed to me (as I stated in the review) to be a non-traditional no real song format, almost a jam session highly technical record. I also said that it only worked because the band around Jasun was so talented and really contributed to the effort. Is that an accurate read on this album?
Troy: Yep exactly and thank you so much for the kind words. We could try and write a 4 or 5 minute song that turns into a 13 minute cut, so based on what comes out naturally we just know when we have made our statement. But it’s gotta be “organic.”
HRH: That’s should be the name for the next album. Have ice on hand, do a 39 minute long one-song album in one take and when the last note is struck call 911 immediately to take you to the hospital for shoulder surgery. (Laughing). Thanks so much for your time tonight Troy and tell your younger brother (by 8 minutes) I said hello.
Troy: I had a blast talking to you and thanks so much for everything!
</B>
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
http://www.heavymetaluniverse.com/reviews/display.php?idband=179&ltr=z&idrev=1551&idlang=uk

Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver
ratingbar6.png
style : progressive heavy thrashrelease date : 2008reviewer : Séblabel : Sensory Records
1709.jpg

This brand new opus shows ZERO HOUR as it was destined to become : the best progressive heavy metal act, nothing more, nothing less. It combines all the best stuffs taken from previous Tipton brother's works, that is the extremely technical approach of the first two releases (Metamorphosis, The tower of avarice), the catchier and more melodic side of the third album (A fragile mind), the beautiful vocal-lines of the fourh (Specs of pictures burnt beyond) and the thrash oriented powerful rhythms of the side project DEATH MACHINE. It also leaves the childish keys of the first two album, the too much melodic side of the third, the too calm touch of the fourth to create the perfect blend of progressive heavy music. The vocals of Salinas are incredibly versatile and mixes the very melodic feeling à la Geoff Tate (QUEENSRŸCHE) with some very powerful, nervous or high-pitched tunes. The tracks goes from 3' (Resurrection) to 12' (Dark Deceiver), from technothrash to progressive heavy metal à la SYMPHONY X or FATES WARNING, from technical instrumental to prog rock, progressive metal à la CONTROL DENIED or very melodic progressive metal in the vein of QUEENSRŸCHE. Everything to make the perfect record. A must have.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.metal.de/cdreviews.php4?was=review&id=10373[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]ZERO HOUR - Dark Deceiver[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Progressive Metal
Label/Kontakt: Sensory Rec.
9 Songs (43:22)
Webseite: www.zerohourweb.com

zero_dark.jpg
Progressive-Metal Bands sehen sich ja meist (zu Unrecht) mit dem Vorwurf konfrontiert, dass sie zwar geniale Musiker in ihren Reihen haben, aber ihre Kompositionen den Wiedererkennungswert vermissen lassen. Klar, ein Klischee.

Auf den ersten Blick könnte man diesen Vorwurf auch den Amis von ZERO HOUR machen. Die Jungs um die Brüder Jasun und Troy Tipton brennen auf ihrem nunmehr fünften Album “Dark Deceiver“ ein technisches Feuerwerk ab, dass es Genre-Fans Freudentränen in die Augen treiben dürfte. Vergleiche mit den omnipräsenten DREAM THEATER oder auch WATCHTOWER kommen nicht von ungefähr. ZERO HOUR spielen definitiv in derselben Liga wie genannte Bands.

Damit dürfte auch ungefähr die Marschrichtung von “Dark Deceiver“ klar sein. Hoch technischen und komplexen Progressive-Metal bieten die neun Songs der Scheibe, die phasenweise noch vertrackter als der Vorgänger “Specs From Pictures Burnt Beyond“ ist (ja, das geht!). Stücke wie der Opener “Power To Believe“ oder “Inner Spirit“ sind garantiert keine leichte Kost und verlangen danach, öfter gehört zu werden (und selbst dann findet man noch immer neue Facetten). Das gilt besonders für kurze Tracks wie dem Titelsong. Die vielen Takt- und Rhythmuswechsel, die neben den harten Metal-Riffs einen wichtigen Faktor im Bandsound darstellen, sind absolut schlüssig in die Songs integriert und stellen keineswegs ein störendes Element dar. Ebenso gelungen, wie die musikalische Umsetzung, wurden auch die Gesangslinien arrangiert. Sänger Chris Salinas hat innerhalb der Songs genügend Freiraum sich zu entfalten und den Songs seinen Stempel aufzudrücken.

Auf “Dark Deceiver“ haben ZERO HOUR alles richtig gemacht und geben Progressive-Metal-Fans die absolute Vollbedienung und ein extrem spannendes und interessantes Album. Technisch verspielt und komplex, dabei aber eingängig und melodisch. Für mich ist das neue Werk der Band sogar noch ein wenig besser als “Specs From Pictures Burnt Beyond“. Ein Hammeralbum!

(Colin / 24.05.2008)
[/FONT]

http://www.hardrockhaven.net/reviews2008/june08/Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver.php

Zero Hour
Dark Deceiver Sensory Records
by Matthew Hoffman
Staff Writer
zh.jpg
Comments: Jasun Tipton's savant guitar skills are on display once again. The exceptional axe wielder for the metal band Zero Hour brings "da goods" on their latest release entitled Dark Deceiver out now on Sensory Records.
Tipton laces up songs with unusual yet well placed solos like the note barrage at the beginning of the album's first track the seven minute long "Power to Believe." This song also features outstanding bass guitar notes from his brother Troy and solid drum work from Mike Guy.
The powerful vocals of Chris Salinas are evident on every track and what he lacks in range, he more than makes up with in effort and passion. He also uses whispering and deep toned spoken word on this album. His vocals are at their best on the song "The Temple Within" where he slightly resembles the great Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
The songs are unconventional and stray far from the traditional progressive metal formulas. This is what makes the album unique, however Dark Deceiver does come close to being a jam record void of structure as well. It's a fine line that works for them because of the talent level surrounding Jasun Tipton but another band would certainly be accused of being nothing but a show piece for their guitarist if they tried such a thing.
The style of Jasun's play is most often rocket fast shred like on "Inner Spirit' but he does show the ability to soften the style and embrace his soul a few times on the record. This is best seen on "Resurrection" where he adds some basic metal licks and melodies to highlight the intended message.
"Resurrection" also is the track where the drums of Mike Guy are at their best as they pound the submission out of your ear drums.
The bass notes of Troy Tipton are best seen on his own special 80-second instrumental appropriately entitled "Tendonitis."
The bottom line here is that this is a very unorthodox progressive metal album that features excellent instrumentation. It is not for everyone, but anyone that tries it with an open mind should be won over (after a few spins). It is however a must buy for guitarheads that want a new hero!
Musicians:
Chris Salinas - Vocals
Jasun Tipton - Guitar and Keyboards
Troy Tipton - Bass
Mike Guy - Drums
Track Listing:
1. Power To Believe
2. Dark Deceiver
3. Inner Spirit
4. Resurrection
5. Tendonitis
6. The Temple Within
7. Lies
8. The Passion of Words
9. Severed Angel
Hardrock Haven rating: 7.8/10

http://www.metalexpressradio.com/menu.php?main=reviews&id=2582

ZERO HOUR - Dark Deceiver
Sensory

Metal Express Rating: 9.5/10

Release Date: 2008-04-28

by: FRANK JAEGER

Email: frank (at) metalexpressradio (dot) com

write/read comments

One of the highest valued Progressive bands of the decade returns with their successor to Specs From Pictures Burnt Beyond called Dark Deceiver. The outfit centered around the Tipton brothers Jasun and Troy continues down the road between Progressive Metal and Technical Thrash as they have done before. The result is their fifth release which floats in the same spheres as the other albums from Zero Hour since A Fragile Mind: somewhere between ingenuity and insanity, which seems to be separated only by a narrow ridge for the two expert musicians on bass and guitar.

Every album can be characterized by the following attributes: it contains more notes than all AC/DC songs combined; the catchyness is somewhere between Meshuggah and white noise, the complexity comparably to calculating Pi upon the tenth decimal place &#8211; in your head; and mighty Yngwie would eat his guitar upon first hearing. Baseline is that every album was a potential Metal album of the year, and so is Dark Deceiver.

Starting with their opening track &#8220;The Power To Believe&#8221; the show off level of technical abilities and virtuosity is sometimes overwhelming. The only comparisons one may find is aforementioned Meshuggah, Anacrusis, Arcane, Watchtower, Alarum, Extol and &#8220;Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence&#8221; from Dream Theater. If one likes those bands and compositions, this is the album for you. Because if one does not take the time to fathom the depths and find joy in second long details, the album deserves only one attribute: demanding.

The one thing that keeps it all together is singer Chris Salinas, maybe known to many for his former band Power Of Omens. He was already the singer on Specs From Pictures Burnt Beyond but has improved considerably, and his melodic voice adds a touch of smoothness on top of the compositions, like putting a thick blanket over a bed of nails. It still stings, but is much more tolerable.

Now, for those who know the other releases already, here is a more detailed comparison which is likely to be lost with people not thoroughly familiar with the Americans: Overall, the album is probably superior to the first three releases, as good as they already were, but cannot push from the throne. Also Specs From Pictures Burnt Beyond is slightly superior as it feels more of one mind than their 2008 release. One of the reasons if the Bass instrumental &#8220;Tendonitis&#8221; which is unfittingly placed in the middle of the album and marks the low point of the album, in spite of Troy&#8217;s incredible Bass play. Dark Deceiver on the other hand features the 12 minute long &#8220;Inner Spirit&#8221; which is one of the best, if not the best song from Zero Hour to date, and &#8220;Ressurection&#8221;, which also beats every song on the 2006 release.

The verdict is very simple: If you know Zero Hour and like Techno Thrash, get the album. If you do not and rather have it rocky and straight, keep your money. If you don&#8217;t know and want to try, buy A Fragile Mind.

http://www.ballbusterhardmusic.com/hard_20/06-2008.html

Zero Hour
"Dark Deceiver"
Sensory Records
by Jonathan Mariante

Zero Hour play progressive metal. Like many bands of this genre, they are very influenced by bands like Dream Theater and Queensryche, but Zero Hour are not copycats. They have a distinctive sound of their own. They are heavier and darker than most progressive metal bands, and they don't use keyboards. Keyboards are often (over)used by many prog bands, but ZH don't use them at all, and this works to their advantage. It give their music more of an edge, and it doesn't become oversaturated with keywork, as happens to many other prog bands. ZH doesn't need to use keyboards anyway. The four musicians are talented enough to make their music stand out with just guitar, bass, and drums. They take this standard lineup and increase the sound tenfold. Vocalist Chris Salinas sounds influenced by Queensryche's Geoff Tate but he isn't a mere knockoff. He goes way up high, way down low, and everywhere in between, hitting several ranges and octaves. Guitarist Jasun Tipton is a wizard, weaving complex spider webs with his six string, and cranking out some punchy power chords. His bassist brother Troy is just as nimble fingered. He plays like Steve Harris, but also with a jazz flavor. This is the best prog metal album I've heard in a long time. Instead of overdoing things and copying the genre's masters, like many bands do, Zero Hour take what's basic and make it sophicticated, but without sacrificing the metal side of their music. Sometimes less really is more.

Right on Squall45 for bringing this to our attention...Very METAL!!! I for one love Tendonitis and I begged my bro to do it lol. SO everyone has their opinion and I'm very happy it's on the disc.

Many thanks for sending this our way....METAL!!

Jasun

Tendonitis Rules!!!

OK not the fricken painful type! That actually blows...

But Troy's solo is so cool, I'm glad you guys put that on there. And I think it's perfect the way it transitions the CD.

I've been listening to this disc again after a while off. . . man. I've missed it.

What a great disc! Thanks guys - for keeping technical metal alive!

This has to be one of the best releases of the last several years. . . plus, I think Chris' voice fits soooo perfectly! :)