car cd player it went. Well, my husband and I were both
headbanging immediately... me playing air guitar along
with the great riffs and he with is foot steadily
increasing pressure on the gas pedal. I think that´s
been our fastest trip to Munich and that is what a good
CD is all about ! Getting the adrenaline pumping and
the hair flying (even if you are supposed to be
watching the road !). I HIGHLY recommend this disc to
anyone who enjoys very well done, solid Death Thrash !
-Cheryl

Nocturnal Hall:
KONKHRA - Reality Check
Label: code666
Release: 27.04.2003
Von: Psycho

Irgendwie hat diese dänische Band bei mir schon seit ihren Anfangstagen den Stempel "Na ja, ganz nett, aber mehr auch nicht" aufgedrückt bekommen. Da ist/war es auch völlig egal, ob man sich z.B. mit James Murphy oder Kris Kontos noch prominente Verstärkung ins Boot holte. Und so richtig wird sich daran auch mit dem neuen Album Reality Check nicht ändern, denn trotz wuchtiger Produktion und viel Wut, ist das Ergebnis einfach nicht dazu angetan, meinen CD-Player dauerhaft zu blockieren.

Das liegt vor allem daran, dass eigentlich sämtlichen Songs das gewisse Etwas fehlt. Klar, die diesmal wieder in ursprünglicher Besetzung auftretenenden Vier bollern gut drauf los, und mit ihrem von deutlichen Todesblei-Einflüssen durchsetztem Kraftmeier-Thrash hätten KONKHRA an sich auch alle Trümpfe in der Hand. Aber leider rauscht der Realitätstest größtenteils am Hörer vorbei, ohne einen länger anhaltenden Eindruck zu hinterlassen. Was natürlich für die absolute Spitzengruppe der Szene, zu der man sich wie selbstverständlich dazu rechnet, deutlich zu wenig ist.

Eigentlich gibt es so auch keinen Song, den man jetzt besonders erwähnen müsste. Denn trotz des insgesamt ganz gut variierten Tempos, hapert es vor allem im Bereich Abwechslung, sowie guter und origineller Ideen. Wer eine Mischung aus alten Machine Head und groovigen Death Metal-Sachen so dringend wie die Luft zum Atmen braucht, kann hier zuschlagen. Ansonsten eignet sich Reality Check eher dazu, die Höhepunkte der eigenen CD-Sammlung deutlicher herauszustellen; solide, aber eben nicht essentiell. Erwähnenswert ist immerhin noch die gute (Eigen-)Produktion und das durchaus gelungene Artwork.

Maelstrom zine
Listening to this makes me realise that at least one member of Machine Head wanted to continue playing gutsy music after Burn My Eyes. Mr. Kontos may have only stuck around for 1997's Weed out the Weak, but that alone cemented Konkhra's place in history.

Reality Check is both heavy and solid in its composure. I would have been overjoyed if Sepultura had taken to a sound like this after Chaos A.D.

The weight and might of this album simply cannot be disputed, and it's nice to remind ourselves that there is yet another band out there who can do a damn good job of fusing thrash and death metal, especially with “Hellhound on My Trail” and “Day of the Dog.” The short staccato blasts of rhythm guitar are very reminiscent of the technique employed by The Haunted and Dew Scented, but Konkhra have been recording for about a decade now, and I don't think they can be thought of as following in anyone's footsteps. One thing I noted with interest was the answerphone message preceding “Lowlife” that described one of the.....er...joys of living in Oakland, California.

The only thing that slightly disappointed me was that the closing guitar instrumental “The Blackest of Dawns” didn't break into a nice shuffling death metal lament of some kind. That apart, I have far better things to do with my time that searching for weaknesses that just aren't there. Konkhra get my vote.

heavyhardes.de
Die dänischen Konkhra melden sich nach vierjähriger Pause im Original Line-Up mit ihrem neuen Album "Reality Check" zurück. Geboten wird "Deathrash Metal", wobei jedoch der Death-Faktor verschwindend gering und mit viel Wohlwollen noch in den angerauhten Vocals von Sänger und Gitarrist Anders Lundemark zu erkennen ist. Der beste Vergleich der mir einfällt ist "Low" von Testament ohne Chuck Billys unnachahmlichen Gesang.
Man wütet sich durch zwölf Tracks, die fast allesamt mit unterhaltsamen Mosh-Passagen ausgestattet sind und dadurch für einige Abwechslung sorgen. Ansonsten ist meist Midtempo angesagt, so richtig schnell wird's nie.
Die Songs sind alle recht melodiös und sehr eingängig, aber ohne dadurch an Durchschlagskraft oder Aggression zu verlieren, bestes Beispiel ist "Lions Are Hungry". Das einzige mal wo man es richtig langsam angeht, ist das schöne Akustik-Outro.
Im Grunde ist diese Patte der perfekte Sommer-Soundtrack; weder aufdringlich schnell noch "evil", sondern einfach nur heavy und exzellent als Hintergrundbeschallung deiner Sauforgie geeignet. Fans von aggressiver und grooviger Thrash-Mucke sollten unbedingt mal reinhören.
Erinc

metalius.de
KONKHRA _ reality check

Zehn Jahre ist das Debutalbum der dänischen Band Konkhra mittlerweile her - eine ziemlich lange Zeitspanne für eine Band, deren Stil irgendwo im DeathMetal verwurzelt ist. Lange vor den Six Feet Unders dieser Welt fing man an, Death mit Groove zu vermengen und zieht dieses nun also schon seit einer Dekade konsequent durch. Der große Wurf freilich blieb der Band bisher verwehrt - man kommt eben nur aus dem kleinen Ländle namens Dänemark, das auf der Metallandkarte eine denkbar kleine Rolle einnimmt. Doch nichtsdestotrotz, den Fans haben sie bisher 4 Alben geschenkt, die ich zwar nicht kenne; einzelne Songs jedoch, die an mein Ohr drangen, wußten stets zu gefallen. "Reality Check" nun ist das erste, mit dem ich mich etwas näher beschäftigen kann und ich muß sagen: es ist geil! Groove muß nicht unbedingt immer sofort mit Modernität, Nu-Metal oder sonstigen Horrorvorstellungen zu tun haben. Nein, Konkhra ist ganz eindeutig DeathMetal! Durchweg dröhnt die Musik auf höchstem spielerischen und kreativen Niveau aus der Anlage, live KANN diese Band einfach nur rocken - darauf möcht ich wetten!
Konkhra sind von der Geschwindigkeit her auf dem etwas flotteren Midtempo angesiedelt, in Richtung Gedresche können sie wahrscheinlich nicht abdriften - zu exakt sind die Gitarren. Und so gehört die Band zu den nicht allzuvielen Gruppen auf dieser Welt, die alleine durch begnadete Riffs den Zuhörer für sich einnehmen können.
Nicht ganz nach meinem Geschmack ist der röhrende Sänger. Er könnte sich ruhig mehr im Fluß der Lieder bewegen. So spielt er keine große Rolle für die Musik, und stört auch nicht weiter.
"Reality Check" ist das erste Album der Band für ihr neues Label Code666. Es bleibt zu hoffen, daß dieser Platte - zusätzlich zur unweigerlich einsetzen Begeisterung in den Medien - auch die nötige Tour folgen wird. Konkhras Weg wird dann zweifelsohne steil bergauf führen!

Michael Freßmann
8,5 von 10 Punkten

the metal observer
Good Death/Thrash Metal bands are quite rare these days as due to a flood in both markets most of what gets put out by labels usually comes across as being exhausted or lifeless and mindnumbingly repetitive. It is for this reason that Metal fans who can appreciate the works of bands ranging from SEPULTURA and FEAR FACTORY to the powerful MESHUGGAH should be eternally thankful that bands like KONKHRA still exist with the ability to leap above the rest in their crowded field of play.
"Reality Check" may not be the most original of releases as in such a large style of music I'd say that by now most that could be incorporated has been and finding something new would be extremely difficult, yet it has a certain quality about it that makes its nice heavy Thrash riffing and lead work sound tighter and fresher than what the vast majority of modern bands can put together.

KONKHRA have created an album full of memorable head banging riffs which are complemented by a good solid Death Metal vocal performance, tasteful lead work and a great percussion performance and all of this is blended perfectly in the crisp production. For me the only real criticism is the lack of originality and perhaps a little similarity within some of the songs but unfortunately these criticisms come with the territory and are becoming as clichéd as the genre itself.

Fans of KONKHRA's earlier work like the highly acclaimed "Weed Out The Weak" would be well advised to give this a try as "Reality Check" is certainly of a comparable standard. (Online July 16, 2003)

Vampire magazine
Somewhere in 1989 a couple of guys started a band under the name ‘Vicious Circle’
In the early days they were practicing in horrible circumstances in a public cellar. After a tumultuous start they changed their name in Konkhra.After a few years wandering in the Denmark underground scene they transformed their selves into a mature deathmetal band with an extreme brutal character.Most of you know their album that causes their breakthrough in 97 ‘Weed Out The Weak’ featuring James Murphy. After that period they released one official album ‘Come Down Cold’ and still we find James Murphy as a guitarist in Konkhra even knowing he was there on temporary base.

They just released a brand new album which is called ‘Reality Check’ I was very curious about this one cause they have had a replacement of band members. Guitarist Kim "Hakim" Mathiesen and drummer Johnny Nielsen were recruited in Konkhra. What can we expect? Good, Bad or… I’m glad it isn’t another Frisbee to throw out of my apartment. After hearing ‘Reality Check’ for a week or so, it still stays in my CD player. Even when I went out I still hear the melody lines in the back of my head. For those who still don’t know this band I will describe their style a bit. It is a form of Death Metal in a way like Testament on Demonic, mainly due to the vocals and the never-ending pounding guitar loops. I even heard some Bolthrower influences on ‘Fear Of God’ and ‘The Coming Of ®age’. Listen for instance to the groovy melody lines throughout this album. The songs are mainly on top gear but the mid-paced intermezzo’s are very welcome on ‘Reality Check. I think this is an excellent album for a nice forty-five minutes of classical death metal performed in a kind of modern way.

stargazer

Torna alla ribalta la band danese che dopo l'annuncio da parte della label emiliana del loro ingresso nel proprio rooster, eccoci arrivare finalmente al tanto atteso momento di poter ascoltare questo "Reality Check", nuovo forte capisaldo di Lundemark & Co.! Sinceramente era da un po' che mi chiedevo quando sarebbe stato possibile ascoltare qualcosa da parte loro e quindi e' stato con molto entusiasmo ed interesse che mi sono avvicinato a questo disco, rimanendone tutto sommato alquanto soddisfatto dopo l'ascolto. Piccola premessa da fare e' quella che chi si aspettava un sequel dell'acclamatissimo "Spit or Swallow" (ovvero il qui presente...) rimarra' un po' deluso, in quanto i Konkhra hanno si' portato una ventata di freschezza nella loro proposta, ma per farlo hanno introdotto alcuni elementi che gli hanno un attimo allontanati dal loro classico trademark, anche se non troppo! Non fa piu' di tanto scalpore quindi la leggere inflessione thrash che mostrano alcuni brani come il devastante "Warmonger", incipit di un disco che si presenta immediatamente alquanto dinamitardo e potente. Si deve dare adito alla band danese infatti di aver dato alle stampe un disco molto curato in ogni dettaglio, dagli arrangiamenti alle strutture dei brani, dal cover artwork alla tracklist che segue uno schema preciso, alternando momenti decisamente violenti in un modo decisamente "fisico" ad altri sempre violenti ma in modo molto piu' "cerebrale"...provate un attimo ad ascoltare le cupe atmosfere che si respirano in "The Lions are Hungry" e ditemi se non vi sentirete oppressi da un sentimento soffocante...Sembra poi che la vena compositiva dei Konkhra non si sia fermata qui ed ecco quindi emergere dei dannati mid-tempo spaccaossa come nella grande tradizione death metal ed eccoci quindi completamente annichiliti da una "Reality Check" o "Grapes of Wrath". Non stupisce affatto poi come la grande preparazione tecnica dei quattro ragazzi danesi permetta loro di spaziare con estrema disinvoltura dalle partiture piu' accese e violente ad assoli al fulmicotone che presentano anche un vago accenno melodico! Inoltre le urla infernali di cui Mr Lundemark e' sempre stato dotato accompagnano quasi ogni singola nota di questo album rendendolo ancora piu' opprimente e maledettamente violento....
Credetemi "Reality Check" e' un autentico pugno nello stomaco sferzando senza nessun rimorso e lanciato alla velocita' della luce senza perdere quel ritmo tremendamente frenetico anche quando i tempi tendono un po' a smorzarsi. Stesso discorso si potrebbe fare anche per la maggior parte delle restanti song, creando cosi' un'omogeneita' di fondo che potrebbe compromettere la buona riuscita di questo album, rendendolo alla fine noioso e scarsamente duttile, ma in realta' non e' cosi', in quanto ogni brano presenta sfumature continuamente cangianti, tempi dispari e le influenze piu' disparate, andando cosi' di volta in volta a tenere alta l'attenzione dell'ascoltatore, che alla fine si ritrova a moshare senza neanche accorgersene, perche' l'energia che sprigiona questo CD ormai e' entrata a pulsare pienamente nel nostro corpo! Un buon album quindi, che come detto e' decisamente "lontano" da cio' che eravamo "soliti" aspettarci dai Konkhra, ma sono sicuro che se gli darete un'ascolto non resterete affatto delusi...io nel frattempo vado a martellarmi nuovamente con la terribile "Eve of Horus"! Buon ascolto a tutti!

Kronic
I thrashers danesi tornano senza squilli di trombe. Ma non è questo l`importante

Fa restare increduli che questo disco dei Konkhra, il sesto della loro carriera, il primo dopo quattro anni e dopo il riassesto della line-up originale, sia licenziato dalla nostrana Code666. Una label fondata da pochi anni, messa su con la sola forza della passione, che ha saputo crescere e saltare gradini in rapida successione, imbroccando una serie di buoni investimenti e un numero davvero esiguo di insuccessi. Uno tra tutti, il lancio degli Ephel Duath, poi diventati fenomeno europeo: e ora troviamo sotto contratto degli autentici mostri sacri del death-thrash, che hanno calcato i palchi di tutto il mondo fino a approdare ai lidi di Imola e della Code666. Quale supporto economico Emiliano abbia messo a disposizione della band non lo sappiamo: ma sicuramente avrà offerto loro le solite passione e dedizione, che lo hanno ripagato con questo disco.

Disco che, intendiamoci, non è un capolavoro. Ma non è nemmeno brutto. E` solamente quanto di naturale ci si sarebbe potuto aspettare dai Konkhra nel loro decimo anno di carriera, un disco di death-thrash brutale e senza fronzoli, preciso e accurato nelle composizioni, fresco nelle idee, ma privo di qualsiasi velleità sperimentale e/o innovativa. Le composizioni scorrono bene, alternate tra pezzi veloci e d`impatto e altri più riflessivi e pachidermici, senza particolari cadute di stile o picchi artistici: forse ho prediletto i pezzi tirati per il loro feeling, ma il livello delle composizioni è quasi sempre alto. La prova vocale di Anders Lundemark, infine, è quella classica e professionale a cui ci ha abituato. Insomma, un disco bello ma di poca importanza per la scena musicale del 2003. Ma siamo sicuri che tutto ciò importi davvero? Io trovo più importante il traguardo di questa casa discografica, che ha permesso ai Konkhra il loro sesto disco, e da cui non riceverà che benefici. (19/7/03)

The Darkest Hours
Konkhra "Reality Check" (code666) - 85%

Powerfull! That's the first word that came to my mind when I first put this record in my stereo! Death/Thrash metal at its best! Pure agression in every tracks with crushing metal riffs that you'll bang your head on for sure! The production as been well done and I simply love the overall sound. I also love they heavy grooves, amazing grooves Im saying! There's is plenty of hooks from start to finish I tell ya! Maybe some of you may think that this musical style has been over-exploited but man, these guys are pioneer and are way better than many other band that got a similar sound. Every fans of death/thrash should buy this record without hesitating! I love it!

Patrick

metalreviews.com
It seems Konkhra has an ever-changing lineup. At one point, they had Chris Kontos (ex Machine Head), and even Per Jensen (the Haunted, unless there's another Per M. Jensen whom I don't know about). Now they have returned to their original drummer, Johnny Nielsen, and with him comes a new album, "Reality Check". For those of you unfamiliar with Konkhra, they have a sort of death metal thrash sound, like the later works of Testament and Pantera. This comparison is quite the one to live up to, so we shall see if they deliver it in the form of "Reality Check".

The first thing you will notice is the power of the guitar tone. Every chord hits like a freight train, and most every song has a great beat to further pummel you. There are basically two types of guitar on "Reality Check", the more solo-oriented and the ultra powerful chugga-chugga riffs. I think it's safe to say that the vocalist is like a hybrid Chuck Billy and Phil Anselmo, more to the Anselmo end. Couple the power of those two vocalists with some fiercely heavy guitars, and you have yourself quite the impressive sound. The bass is thick and chunky, which is good.

The only problem is that the production is a little to heavy in the low end, it feels very bottom-heavy. The bass and bass drums are somewhat overpowering, so along with the ever-present crash of cymbals nearly covers up the higher-end of the guitar riffs. When it's the heavier, more methodical powerful riffs, it sounds great, but the higher end riffs are somewhat drowned out. The ultra high-end solos are nice and clear because there is some kickass musicianship there. It has the percussive, warp speed sound of a Jag Panzer solo, but in this case it's very thrashy instead of power metally.

As far as songwriting goes, I can't seem to find a bad song. Of course there's the generic critic's gripe about how every song sounds similar, but in this case that's a good thing, for they have a nice sound. There's nothing ultra-complex, but it's good. Every track is ultra high-energy (except for the two instrumental tracks, which remind me of Metallica's Fade To Black, which is fine by me), there is a lot of hatred and murderous rage amongst the members of Konkhra, you can be sure of that. The album ends with a nice, emotional instrumental to take you slowly to your impending doom, I found it a rather classy way to finish off this monster, especially after a heavy, balls-out track like "Lowlife".

It's pretty nice to hear a non-Swedish-wannabe thrash band, these guys definitely have their own sound. It's heavy, death metally, and uniquely American sounding even though they're from Denmark. This is as American it gets without actually BEING American. If you're a fan of the likes of Overkill, Pantera, Testament, Slayer, etc. then you'll dig Konkhra. Heavy as hell and talented to boot, I recommend it.

Wrathchild's Choice Cuts:

Fear of God: Sweet solo in the middle of this one, very classic thrash/death
Grapes of Wrath: A great headbanger with a catchy riff

Decibel Storm:
10 ans après leur premier album, Konkhra est toujours vivant? et même s'il bénéficie de statut de groupe culte, je n'ai pas l'impression que le groupe d'Anders Lundemark n'ait jamais réussi à s'imposer comme l'un des ténors européen du genre ! En tout cas il n'en démord pas et marque son retour 4 ans après son précédent disque avec un nouveau deal et un sixième album qui marque le retour de quelques anciens membres notamment Johnny Nielsen a la batterie et le fantasque Lars Schmidt à la basse (ex Furious Trauma?). Musicalement, le groupe a quelque peu abandonné son death metal pur et dur pour le mixer avec de fortes intonations thrash, Comprenez qu'aujourd'hui Konkhra est plus proche d'un Sepultura (période Max) ou de Slayer que de Cannibal Corpse. Soutenu par une production hyper puissante, Konkhra nous offre 12 destructeurs. Rien de super nouveau, mais le prolongement parfait de la tradition du groupe de thrash-death par excellence. La voix d'Anders est remarquable de puissance, les morceaux sont sauvages mais ne sonnent pas linéaires grâce à des variations de tempos, des breaks surprenants et des arrangements soignés, De même, les solos sont particulièrement soignés et donne un plus au groupe. Franchement, il n'y a pas grand chose à jeter dans ce disque? alors lecteurs? donnerez-vous enfin sa chance au monstre danois ? En tout cas, avec un tel opus, cela serait à désespérer qu'il n'y arrive pas !!
Frank Arnaud

violent solutions (France)
Konkhra
En cette soirée de fête de la musique j'ai décidé moi aussi de rendre honneur à tous les groupes dont on entendra jamais parler, des groupes de métal qui n'auront qu'un succès d'estime dans leur pays, et encore ... fête de la musique ... pfffioouuuu quelle bonne blague. Les seuls à en profiter sont les majors, qui font la promos de leurs artistes de merde déjà bien implantés et qui enverront leurs sbires dénicher les futurs stars de demain. S'ils rentrent bredouille le cas échéant ils les fabriqueront à grand coup de campagnes marketing. Toutes ces merdes préfabriqués qu'on nous sert à longueur de journée et qu'on avale tel des moutons ne doivent pas nous endormir, et c'est là que tout à coup, tel Néro dans Matrix, on s'eveille et on prend consience de la réalité ... Reality Check !!!! Eh oui tout ce grand laïus pour faire un parallèle avec le titre de l'album ... faut vraiment que je soit en manque total d'inspi, et puis s'est pas trop tiré par les cheveux, hein, on le voit pas venir !
En tout cas c'est clair que Konkhra n'officiera jamais sur la même scène qu'Ophélye Hivers. Oscillant tantôt vers du Testament (periode Low et Demonic) et du Slayer, leur power/thrash metal nous vrille le cerveau à grand coup de riffs assasin. Existant depuis 1990 (13 ans quand même), dans un 1er temps sous le nom de "Vicious Circle", ces dannois se sont forgés une sérieuse réputation tout au long de ces années à force de démo, EPs LPs et concerts. Pour les plus perspicaces, je peux vous dire qu'un certain Chris Kontos (cékisuilà ? ... rappelez vous c'était le batteur qui était sur Burn My Eyes de MH) a officié pendant quelques temps avec eux et a même enregistré un album. Malheureusement, comme à son habitude le sieur ne voulait pas tourner, et il s'est fait virer ! Et tok dans les dents ! 'l'a qu'a être moins féniant ... et puis des fast food y'en a dans tous les pays maintenant ... j'te jure ...
Tout ça pour nous pondre ce bel hymne à la violence, qu'est Reality Check. La force de ce LP réside dans la diversité des titres proposés. La rythmique est ultra efficace, alterant passages speed, mid-tempo et de nombreux break ravageurs soutenus par des guitares acérées qui laminent tout sur leurs passages. Les riffs sont très Slayeriens dans l'âme, et les nombreux solis finissent de faire de la bouilli de vos quelques neurones encore intacts. La prod est dense, et à la fin on se retrouve essoufflé tellement on s'en est pris, et ce n'est pas le petite break "The coming of Rage" qui nous calmera.
En tout cas, le power n'est pas mort, Konkhra en est la preuve vivante, et nous montre qu'il faudra compter parmi eux désormais (si bien sûr en leur en laisse la chance). Si vous aimez les riffs bien foutu, un chanteur avec voix fortement burnée, une rythmique bien torturée, des solos de la mort-qui-tue-sa-race et des titres qu'on retiens somme toute assez facilement, ... qu'est ce que vous attendez, vous êtes encore la ? Allez hop courrez vous le procurer ... faut vraiment que je m'énerve ... ?

rockmetalbands.be
Deze Deense death metal band bestaat reeds een aantal jaar. Ze begonnen in het jaar 1989 en brachten in die periode reeds 5 CD?s uit. De band kende het nodige succes in de underground scene maar heeft toch altijd moeten knokken om er te staan. Nu zijn ze er weer in de originele line-up en dat belooft natuurlijk grootse dingen. Ik ben eens benieuwd.
De band speelt melodieuze death/thrash metal en bevat soms zowel invloeden van bands als Deicide en The Haunted als ook van het hardere werk van Machine Head. De nadruk ligt dus op snelheid, met veel dubbele basdrums, herkenbare en zeer krachtige riffs en nummers die een kop en een staart bezitten. Aan de kwaliteit van de muziek hoor je onmiddellijk dat het hier niet om een stelletje beginners gaat.
Zanger Anders Lundemark heeft een zeer aangenaam klinkende, zware grunt en buldert de hele plaat lekker door. Hij is tevens ook een van de gitaristen in de band. Samen met Kim Mathiesen verzorgt hij het heerlijke gitaarspel op deze CD waarin je de typische Bay Area sound herkent. De solo?s zijn lekker gierend en de riffs lekker hakkend, wat wil je nog meer?
De band koppelt agressiviteit aan een lekkere groove waardoor de nummers nooit gaan vervelen. Drummer Johnny Nielsen zorgt voor deze groove en weet met zijn strak drumspel de bal aan het rollen te houden. Stilzitten op deze CD is gewoon onmogelijk. Luister maar eens naar heerlijke nummers als ?Warmonger?, ?Fear of God? en ?Grapes of wrath?.
De band toont aan bijlange nog niet afgeschreven te zijn en levert met Reality Check een dijk van een CD af. Na jaren van middelmatig succes betekent dit misschien de doorbraak voor deze band. Deze plaat is dus het perfecte alternatief als je de platen van The Haunted en Machine Head al wat beu zou zijn. Ook indien dit niet het geval is, zeker eens beluisteren. Dit is een heerlijk potje Scandinavische metal.
CEDRIC

Daniel eriksson

KONKHRA ??Reality Check? (Code666/Sound Poollution) - CDRA är mest kända för att en gång i tiden haft ed sig James Murphy (DEATH, TESTAMENT) på gitarr och MACHINE HEADs gamle trummis Kris Kontos i sättningen. Numera står bandet på egna ben och levererar en ganska så ordinär mix av death och thrashmetal. ?Reality Check? kanske inte direkt är en skiva som får en att hoppa jämnfota till skivaffären med de sista slantarna, men ett fullvärdigt verk av genren. Vill man ha något att banga skallen till en fredagkväll med ölen i näven, tja då är skivan ett bra val. Det jag gillar mest är de tunga och dova sånginsatserna av Anders Lundemark. Vill man ha slö musik med bly i skorna och har lite slantar liggandes över?då kan ?Reality Check? vara valet för dig.
3/5

metalstorm.ee
What do you expect from Konkhra? A pure locomotive of pounding, heavy, and blasting Death/Thrash?
Well, dinner is served: 12 tracks of pure energy and violence, without any frills.
Konkra are finally able to impose themselves in the scene, as they really are capable of.
From the cover artwork you?ll understand that Konkra are going to paint you an apocalyptic world and that their music will take no prisoners. On ?Reality Check? everything goes on like a machinery, precise and fast, it all emphasized by a crisp, clean and powerful production.

Tight guitarwork, blasting rythmics, Anders Lundemark?s hoarse voice, and a good songwriting, the songs are varied but not confused, always following an outline but never repetitive.

The album structure too is really good: the songs are well disposed to let it be the more variegated possible, fast thrash rhythmic attacks, slower heavy and atmospheric-as-hell mid-tempos [?The Lions Are Hungry? is simply great], and more brutal songs are always placed in the right moment.

Konkra demonstrate to everyone that they definitely don?t need the name of James Murphy to be known, finally with their original formation those Dutch madmen released an album that will surely appeal a lot to all the Death-Thrash freaks, but capable to impose a wild headbanging to everyone in sight!
Compact, yet technical, and heavy: what do you want more?

If you are hungry for a CD that will be able to force you to bang your head until your neck brokes?get it.

www.ancientspirit.de
Hat Kollege Hage bei dem letzten DAEMON Release "Eye for an Eye" noch gemeint, dass Frontmann Anders Lundenmark seine Hauptband KONKHRA lieber auflösen sollte, um sich auf sein Nebenprojekt zu konzentrieren, so wird ihm hier mit dem 5ten Album "Reality Check" deutlich gezeigt, dass man auch wieder anders kann. Mit dem modern Groove Metal der letzten Scheibe "Come down cold" hat dieser Silberling nicht mehr viel gemeinsam, denn mittlerweile regiert wieder der Dampfhammer bei den Dänen. Vielmehr stellt sich nun die Frage ob der Daseinsberechtigung von DAEMON, da man mittlerweile mit KONKHRA ebenfalls wieder brachialen Death Thrash zelebriert, der obendrein von Meister Lundenmark einen oberamtlichen fetten Sound aufgedrückt bekommen hat. Doch nun die Frage: Weswegen die Kurskorrektur auf den ursprünglichen Pfad? Liegts daran, dass mit Johnny Nielsen (Drums) und Kim Mathiesen (Guitars) 2 Urmitglieder zurück an Bord sind und man somit wieder im Original "Spit or swallow" Line Up spielt? Oder eventuell weil man merkte, dass "Come down cold" nicht so gut ankam? Oder hat es gar doch wieder in den Fingern gejuckt? Wer weiß, auf alle Fälle kommen solche Nackenbrecher wie der megabrachiale Opener "Warmonger" (dazu wurde übrigens auch ein Videoclip gedreht), "Eye of Horus", "Fear of God" oder das mosh-kompatible "Grapes of Wrath" wesentlich besser als die schwächeren Tracks auf der letzten Scheibe. Ähnlichkeiten mit TESTAMENT zur Death Metal Phase ("Low" und "Demonic"; mit Abstrichen "The Gathering") kommen dabei nicht selten zustande, wobei Fronter Anders doch noch ein wenig brutaler ins Mikro röhrt. Unterm Strich ist "Reality Check" auf alle Fälle ein fettes Album geworden, dass den Fans der ersten Stunde um Längen besser gefallen wird, alos der Vorgänger "Come down cold", auch wenn man das Über-Album "Spit or swallow" wieder nicht toppen konnte!

SasH , 9 Punkte

KONKHRA haben es in der Vergangenheit mit ausschweifenden Marketingkampagnen und überpräsentem Namedropping versucht. Nichts hat geklappt, die Band ist nach wie vor von überschaubarem Bekanntheitsgrad in hiesigen Gefilden. Nach einer längeren Auszeit nimmt Mainman Anders Lundemark mit ?Reality Check? einen weiteren Anlauf. Zwar fehlt ihm diesmal die Labelpower im Rücken, dafür darf mit Fug und Recht behauptet werden, daß Album Nummer sechs das bislang beste Werk aus dem Hause der Dänen ist. ?Reality Check? offeriert dem geneigten Thrasher eine Abreibung, die stilistisch an die jüngeren TESTAMENT angelehnt ist, aber noch einen Zacken brachialer aus den Boxen qualmt. Im Gegenzug muß man in Sachen Hitdichte und Kompaktheit ? zumindest im direkten Vergleich zu TESTAMENT ? leichte Abstriche hinnehmen. Da der Geldbeutel in Sachen Thrash with Class aber nach wie vor kaum belastet wird, darf man bei ?Reality Check? durchaus zuschlagen!

Andreas, 9 Punkte