A GIGANtic disappointment

I would love to see Overkill, but unless they had a longer set time, I won't be going, even if they come to Atlanta. I was pretty disappointed with last year's--a 20-minute Nevermore set, James's vocals sounded funny for some reason, and Megadeth only played about half a dozen songs that I really wanted to see (I don't really care much for anything they've put out in the last decade or so). So I went for 3 bands and felt like I saw about 1 band's worth that I enjoyed. It was fun hanging out during and after the show, but I doubt I'd go again, even if there were 3 bands I wanted to see.

Shaye

General Zod said:
The reason the crowds will be large, is because Lamb of God is on the bill.
Zod

Maybe, but they could have done better IMO. Also, I don't see too many Lamb of God fans being interested in the rest of the lineup. Perhaps if Shadows Fall and Trivium were playing, more would show up.

Last year's was better, simply because DT were headlining. Unless they suprise us with something like Iced Earth or SX returning,then I'm gonna be dissapointed, despite the fact that I'm still gonna attend lol.

This year lacks prog, but it's far from a disappointment. Honestly after SymX and DT last year, what prog band could they possibly get to top it? I'm more than happy to see bands like Into Eternity, Opeth, and Lamb of God. I'd say this year has less of my all time favorite bands, but more bands I like overall.

I saw Megadeth a few times back in the day with the classic Mustaine / Friedman / Ellefson / Menza lineup, and once after that (opening for Motley Crue, of all things). I haven't seen them in a while, though, so I may check this out if I have a chance. Lamb Of God are reasonably cool, and I've heard they put on a good show. Arch Enemy also does a very good job. And somehow I've never seen Overkill yet. Opeth are very good musicians, but whenever I've seen their live show, it hasn't exactly been exciting. Into Eternity are solid, but are not a huge favorite of mine. I don't know much about Sanctity or The Smashup. Hopefully they get some good underground bands for the second stage too.

the rhythm said:
Maybe, but they could have done better IMO. Also, I don't see too many Lamb of God fans being interested in the rest of the lineup. Perhaps if Shadows Fall and Trivium were playing, more would show up.
But that's exactly what they're shooting for; a cross section. They want to draw fans in from every segment, so they can sell as many tickets as possible.

Kenneth R. said:
lineup's alright. Opeth is by far the big hitter in that group.
For you personally? As for ticket sales, LoG outdraws Opeth. When they were both on tour together, on SotU, LoG was the headliner. Mikael even commented in an interview, that he was shocked by just how popular LoG are.

Zod

Some people on this board are pretty funny. They complained when the lineup for ProgPower was announced, complained about Ozzfest and now complain about Gigantour. Get real some of you... Who did u expect to see in the lineup? Some boring ass straight forward cheesy power metal band? Rhapsody? Pagan's Mind? Blind Guardian? Come on...

I've seen all of the main bands in this lineup and I liked all of them (excpet for Overkill who was awful when I saw them). I'm totally psyched to see Into Eternity on it. They deserve this bigger attention and crowds for they're a very talented band with a bright future. Plus they're my friends. Disappointment is just not having another metal band with straight up clean vocals IMO, although I love death vocals.

Some of you guys are either VERY spoiled or were simply born to whine. Whoever goes to this Gigantour will have a hell of a good time. Myself included.

Regarding the who sells more comments : Nobody needs to argue in that. It's pretty obvious that Lamb of God sells MUCH more tickets than Opeth.

The disappointment for me is directed mostly at Lamb of God being there. I don't like the band at all, although I do like Arch Enemy and Opeth a bit. The problem is, last year this was hailed as the tour for the fans..it didn't sell much, barely survived, but had a hell of a lineup. This year, they're obviously out to make more money. That's great, that's their call to make and fiscally it's the better choice. I just wish somebody who didn't scream would be somewhere on the bill towards the top. Everything is half scream or all scream, is it not?

Edit: Or even...just a better scream band at the top. Just...not LoG.

Opeth is the reason I've been thinking about going to this show and may still be the reason I do even with the little interest I have in the rest of the line-up. I've already seen Into Eternity open for Opeth and, as has been mentioned, this band was an opener on almost every tour for 2 years straight.
And I think Opeth live is amazing. It's harder to listen to their albums as opposed to listen to their set. My boyfriend didn't even like them until he saw them live with me.

I think it's pretty obvious that none of those Power Metal bands would have ended up on Gigantour, I don't know anyone who thought that. So I don't know where this idea even came from.

General Zod said:
But that's exactly what they're shooting for; a cross section. They want to draw fans in from every segment, so they can sell as many tickets as possible.
Zod

True, but I wish that they had chosen a band that doesn't tour so often.

Some of you guys are either VERY spoiled or were simply born to whine. Whoever goes to this Gigantour will have a hell of a good time. Myself included.
AngraRULES, I don't know who everyone else was expecting, but lets look at the festivals that most of these bands have been on recently.

Lamb of God: just got off the Unholy Alliance tour with Slayer, headlined SOTU last year, and played the main stage of Ozzfest in 2004.
Opeth: toured the states last year and this year, played SOTU last year.
Arch Enemy: played Ozzfest last year, tour the states pretty much annually.

Are those who complain spoiled? Yes, but only in that they can see the high profile bands of this tour every year. I will be there, but I wish that some consideration had been taken into how often the bands on this festival tour.
Into Eternity, Sanctity, Overkill and Megadeth will own.

Personal taste people. I love how people always make such declarative statements about something as subjective as music. I personally preferred last year's line up, but won't say it was better....just more to my tastes. Overkill is the only band on this year's line up, so far, that is of any interest to me. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

Well...never been a big Megadeth fan, so no big deal there.

Last years line up with the exception of DT and SX did little to thrill me and this year, so far, it is worse...though I do like Opeth.
Overall there is only so much growling and screaming that i can take at any one time, thus making this years line up, a wast of my time.

In other words....A can miss show!!!

Though I have to admit it all really matters little...they came no where close to North Carolina last year (within reason for the offering)...and look to do the same this year.