A GIGANtic disappointment

One More thing...

I think everyone on this board should think about supporting this event even if there is only one or two bands that you are interested in. I mean the intent behind this tour is put substance up on a pedastal with style. This is the tour that gave our homeboys Symphony X a venue to show their shit to a wider audience. I know that this exposure has been nothing but a positive for Sym X and Progressive Metal as a whole:headbang: . Everyone should seriously think of supporting this thing every year because if it's around next year who knows who might get their chance... Maybe your favorite band....:Smokin:

SharkBlack said:
I think everyone on this board should think about supporting this event even if there is only one or two bands that you are interested in. I mean the intent behind this tour is put substance up on a pedastal with style. This is the tour that gave our homeboys Symphony X a venue to show their shit to a wider audience. I know that this exposure has been nothing but a positive for Sym X and Progressive Metal as a whole. Everyone should seriously think of supporting this thing every year because if it's around next year who knows who might get their chance... Maybe your favorite band....
I'm not sure I agree with this. If we support the festival and it sells out everywhere it plays, it sends a message to the promoters. My question is, what message does it send? It seems somewhat illogical to expect, that sellouts would send the message that the promoters need to do a better job when creating the lineup. On the contrary, I believe it would send the message that they've hit on a winning formula and should stick to it.

Zod

I disagree. Why would we support this festival if we only like a handful of bands? Dave didn't do anything unique here. He grabbed bands that have already done the US metal festival circuit.

Last year was the year to support. This year, there isn't much unique, save for having Overkill.

Not a bad list of bands, but a poor selection for what is supposed to be a festival that is set out to rival fests like Ozzfest (Dave's words, not mine).

Eidolon!

Why on God's green earth does he not have this band on the roster? Half of his band makes up half of that band! If you ask me, He just doesn't want the Drovers stealing his thunder. That said, this lineup sucks the suck out of suck. I do believe these bands have a better draw than any of last year's bands (with the exception of Dream Theater), but they surely don't have my ticket purchase.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Met-Al said:
Eidolon! Why on God's green earth does he not have this band on the roster?
If I was Dave, I wouldn't do that either. Why would you want your band members to go out there, expend their energy and enthusiasm, and then be unable to give your music the intensity it deserves?

Met-Al said:
If you ask me, He just doesn't want the Drovers stealing his thunder.
If Dave wasn't concerned with Nevermore stealing his thunder, he's certainly not going to worry about Eidolon. But hey, to each their own.:headbang:

Zod

General Zod said:
I'm not sure I agree with this. If we support the festival and it sells out everywhere it plays, it sends a message to the promoters. My question is, what message does it send? It seems somewhat illogical to expect, that sellouts would send the message that the promoters need to do a better job when creating the lineup. On the contrary, I believe it would send the message that they've hit on a winning formula and should stick to it.

Zod

Well, last year didn't sell very well so Dave must have taken a different approach. He got bands that will draw larger crowds even if there isn't the "wow" factor that a lot of people are complaining is missing this time around. Go to the Opeth forum here and the overall reaction (not just to Opeth) is the exact opposite.

Jibrille said:
Well, last year didn't sell very well so Dave must have taken a different approach.
Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with Dave's approach. I just disagreed with the idea of supporting this festival based on the precept that they may have better lineups in the future. That said, I'll probably go. Megadeth is cool, I've never seen Overkill and I want to see Lamb of God. Opeth I like. Though I don't like the new disc and I've seen them 8 times. Plus, I'm sure there will be at least one good band on the 2nd stage.

Zod

General Zod said:

Zod

Agreed! I won't support any festival or multi-band concert blindly, based on the lineup of a year ago....well, except Glenn's, maybe..... :heh:

J-Dubya

SharkBlack said:
One More thing...

I think everyone on this board should think about supporting this event even if there is only one or two bands that you are interested in. I mean the intent behind this tour is put substance up on a pedastal with style. This is the tour that gave our homeboys Symphony X a venue to show their shit to a wider audience. I know that this exposure has been nothing but a positive for Sym X and Progressive Metal as a whole:headbang: . Everyone should seriously think of supporting this thing every year because if it's around next year who knows who might get their chance... Maybe your favorite band....:Smokin:

General Zod said:

Zod

I agree with Zod. You don't reward a person in a managerial position by putting out a product that doesn't sell NOW, but MIGHT in the future. You have to succeed in the current time period for people to come. Maybe this sells better than last years lineup, but maybe it won't. Only time will tell. Opeth will be a big draw (relatively speaking), but then again, they aren't even bigger than Dream Theater, and look at last years attendance numbers.

For myself, last year was worth going for simply for the trifecta of Symphony X, Fear Factory, and Nevermore. Those three alone were worth the ticket price in my mind.

But this year...nobody stands out. Opeth tours regularly so I can see them whenever I want. The rest of the lineup just lacks quality in my eyes. And I'm sure in a lot of others too.

meh yea...cmon. i mean... the 4 i went for last year:
Megadeth, Dream Theater, Nevermore, Symphony X

not to mention DT was co headliner so got like 1 1/2.
nevermore/sx kinda got jipped of time...

but...

this year:
megadeeth, overkill, into eternity (kinda)

and overkill/IE is 2nd stage. fuck, Lamb Of God? Arch Enemy? they're pretty good...but cmon...

i mean, the ticket prices were well worth Megadeth, Dream Theater, Nevermore, Symphony X last year.

but no way is it worth for Megadeth, Overkill (especially when overkill is 2nd stage). opeth tours pretty regularly so i can see them easily if i want. i like a good amount of IE, but they get like 25 minutes

Jasonic said:
I disagree. Why would we support this festival if we only like a handful of bands? Dave didn't do anything unique here. He grabbed bands that have already done the US metal festival circuit.

Last year was the year to support. This year, there isn't much unique, save for having Overkill.

Not a bad list of bands, but a poor selection for what is supposed to be a festival that is set out to rival fests like Ozzfest (Dave's words, not mine).

OK Then the festival goes away... For good...

There's room for hope though. Apparently more second stage artists will be announced soon, or so says the press release. I'm just sit tight and wait for something good to come along...or maybe not.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet in this thread, but this year's roster is made up predominently of Roadrunner bands, and Im sure that is no coincidence. Megadeth just signed, LoG is on RR, so is Opeth and Sancticity. Thats half the bands, and I wouldn't be surprised if RR was courting one or more of the others.