A little bit of a poof's song

Sep 19, 2005
Belfast
on the dvd mikael introduces 'the drapery falls' as 'a little bit of a poof's song',
then rips into the most amazing intro to an opeth song ever (imho)
just thought id mention it, anyone else think it was an odd thing for him to say
abit like, 'lets turn this place into...........i dont know....into hell

No, not really. I mean The Drapery Falls is Opeth's version of cock-rock. It's definitely easy on the ears (considering it's a 'heavy' track), hence why it singlehandedly seems to convert a lot of people to Opeth.

On the Euro tour Mike introduced "The Drapery Falls" as the perfect combination of cock-rock and death-metal...:)

And yes... it's probably one of the most accessible Opeth songs that still have death-vocals...:headbang:

Yeah, usually everyone ive ever converted to opeth usually listens to the drapyer falls first...then comes the obsession....

Mike always seems as if he's a bit embarssed about certain songs not being metal enough

FUBAR said:
Mike always seems as if he's a bit embarssed about certain songs not being metal enough

yeah, when i seen them live he made loads of really chessy jokes about cockrock, funny guy but yeah, embararessed or somting:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Talking about accessibility, GR in general seems to have a slightly mellower sound even though it has some pretty heavy parts. The song that really hooked me was Harlequin Forest off the new album - pure genius. Quieter start, wonderful break in the middle and then it gets angrier and more destructive. \w/

Moonlapse said:
Yes, Harlequin Forest is definately the 'Drapery Falls' of GR. Fantastic track, it even has commercial appeal - imagine that.
Actually, the solo right before "...it's all false pretension..." is a bit cock rock, but is nevertheless completely awesome.

well Mikael's a bit of a fan of cock rock. He idolises David Coverdale; and even at one of the shows in Melbourne started playing "Still of the Night". Whitesnake: one of the better ones, but a cock rock band, nonetheless.

He is introducing The Grand Conjuration as the most evil satanic pop song in the world.

Moonlapse said:
Opeth should build a makeshift cliff on stage, with all the wind machines in the venue facing it head on and use it as their pedestal during solos.

thats sounds cool, all that hair blowing in the wind
their could be a video on a cliff edge or overlooking a ravine bending the shit out of those high frets:headbang:

Moonlapse said:
Opeth should build a makeshift cliff on stage, with all the wind machines in the venue facing it head on and use it as their pedestal during solos.

Hahaha, that would be awesome. And we could have Akerfeldt in Spandex with all the gauntlets and spikes a la Crue.

I'm seeing them in Dallas on the 20th, oh man, if they ride onto the stage on giant Harleys and start going "Mike!" "Yeah Peter?" "You see that girl over there?"... :loco:

I think the reason he said it also was because he said that he wanted to 'turn this place into some fucking hell' and the drapery falls isnt the most hellasious song is it. so thats why he said. And i definatley dont think he said pop song!!

Moonlapse said:

My friend went to the G3 tour a few years back and said Steve Vai had about 8 fans positioned around the edge of the stage so no matter where he was his hair would be properly windswept.