A polite rant on DVD video editing

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
I just watched the RAGE 20th Anniversary DVD concert, and the music, sound and performance KICKS ASS! But (yeah, there is always a but), the video editing annoyed the hell out of me. It flashed around too much, only focusing on one subject for 2 or 3 seconds before switching cameras. At times it gave me a feeling somewhere between dizzy and nautious. It reminds me of what it's like to stare at a train as it speeds by when you're first in line at the railroad crossing. It has this weird hypnotizing effect, and not in a good way.

I realize quick cuts are necessary for effect at times, but I don't understand what inspires video editors to make this flashing effect the norm rather than the exception.

I've noticed it on some music videos as well, but they only last 4-5 minutes so it wasn't such a big deal. When I was watching a 90 minute concert, that constant flickering got really old in a hurry.

Is anyone else bothered by this? It had a direct effect on my enjoyment of the RAGE DVD. Fortunately, I quickly figured out that I could just look away for 10 seconds and reset my brain. And while I was staring at the wall or ceiling, I did have some JAMMING tunes as a soundtrack.

I agree. I think the main thing that has to be done on a live video or live DVD, is show the viewer what they wanna see happening on stage. If it's the guitar solo, that's what they wanna see. If it's a cool drum fill, cut to that. Show the most significant thing happening at that time on stage. When you cut rapidly and too fast you're missing what you wanna see.

Video clips are a different story. Cut any way you like in a video clip, the idea of a video clip is to capture the vibe of the song and the band and one of the most effective tools to do that is through the editing. The pacing of the cuts is almost musical in itself and having a part super-quickly cut in time with each hit in a drum fill can often double the impact of the drum fill because you're experiencing it visually as well as aurally.

But in a live DVD, the camera needs to be used as the human eye really, showing what you would look at if you were watching from the crowd.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I just watched the RAGE 20th Anniversary DVD concert, and the music, sound and performance KICKS ASS! But (yeah, there is always a but), the video editing annoyed the hell out of me. It flashed around too much, only focusing on one subject for 2 or 3 seconds before switching cameras. At times it gave me a feeling somewhere between dizzy and cautious. It reminds me of what it's like to stare at a train as it speeds by when you're first in line at the railroad crossing. It has this weird hypnotizing effect, and not in a good way.

I realize quick cuts are necessary for effect at times, but I don't understand what inspires video editors to make this flashing effect the norm rather than the exception.

I've noticed it on some music videos as well, but they only last 4-5 minutes so it wasn't such a big deal. When I was watching a 90 minute concert, that constant flickering got really old in a hurry.

Is anyone else bothered by this? It had a direct effect on my enjoyment of the RAGE DVD. Fortunately, I quickly figured out that I could just look away for 10 seconds and reset my brain. And while I was staring at the wall or ceiling, I did have some JAMMING tunes as a soundtrack.

I fully agree. This worthless EmTyV editing drives me nuts. I hate it just as much as another trend that seems to be dying, witch is putting interviews in between live songs!! Thats even more stupid!!

Sometimes I thinks those moronic DVD editors think their public consists of ADHD 12 year olds! :tickled:

Hawk said:
I fully agree. This worthless EmTyV editing drives me nuts. I hate it just as much as another trend that seems to be dying, witch is putting interviews in between live songs!! Thats even more stupid!!
:

Or of putting the interviews over top of the songs... completely killed the Black Sabbath "Last Supper' DVD for me...

Or on the Fates Warning Live in Athens DVD, a guitar solo is coming up and they... cut to a camera that looks to be in back of the audience.
I've wanted to see a lot of those solos done up close, why the hell would you cut so damn far away?!

I think all the modern-era Maiden live stuff is waaaaay over edited. The camera never stays on anyone for more than a few seconds. Actually, it's tons of bands that suffer from this. Personally, I think it's because they all think the sticker on the cover that says, "filmed with over 10 angles," or some such is a big selling point. It's not.
I think each DVD should come with the option to choose one camera that covers the whole stage at a reasonable size. Then you could watch it like a regular concert. That'd be a neat bonus angle.