A recent facination with hard drugs

Metaltastic, things like microwaving babies or stabbing old ladies is illegal whether drugs are involved or not. If you harm someone, whether you're on drugs or not, you should be kept away from other people for a while. If the drugs aren't themselves a guaranteed cause of stabwounds in other people (and last I checked *they're not*) then making them illegal is punishing the wrong goddamned thing. It's funny people mention that, too, since so many *violent criminals* can't be locked up for as long as they need because drug offense penalties are so high.

Roy, your first assumption is wrong - the price will go down, and the motivation to traffic illegally will vanish, leaving far fewer innocent victims to things like gang wars fought over distributing over a certain area. We'll also see fewer violent criminals let out early to make more room for the kid who automatically has to spend the next 20 years in prison because he had a flare gun in his trunk and a bag of weed in his glove compartment.

Later implied assumptions have faults, too - namely, that I have any support at all for even the *concept* of an 'illegal drug' (an unfair assumption unfounded in any statement I recall making ) and (even better!) that 'pot is legal' necessarily implies 'pot is only purchased from the government'. Granted, that last one is a bit hazy since I can't quite determine if I'm interpreting your phrasing right, but the fact that a drug is legal has ABSOLUTELY NO CORRELATION to its status as a government monopoly! (Please refer to post 62.)

Your first statement after my first quote is *exactly* the point I was trying to make. Your second, however, is an abomination against logic. Keep in mind that you're talking to a math nerd who bases his worldview around the assumption that everyone has the rights to live, speak, possess property, and act in any way that doesn't infringe on the rights of others. (Call it 'post-Rand objectivism' or whatever, I just consider it morality by induction.) There's plenty of black and white, and if the world seems grey you just need to tweak your focus.

Your first statement after my second quote is wrong.

The difference in opinion you point out is problematic on both counts.

First, I don't think that people should have responsibility and accountability *taken away*. If someone makes a mistake, I want to see them fucking *learn from it*. I don't care if you think that people can't handle themselves - they need to fucking learn, and we need to stop pretending that the world needs a goddamned babysitter.

Second, I don't think that hard drug abusers rarely have influence on others - but that's not the point I was making! The point is that we, as reasonable individuals, control who and what is part of our lives. (Those of us who are not reasonable individuals deserve whatever hell comes as a result of failure to exercise that control.) The point is that if someone you know is changing in a negative way and somehow turning into a fuckup who you can't help, it is your right, as a person with only a few decades to live and six billion other potential playmates, to cut them out of your lives. Exceptional cases (like the elderly, parents with children, or families with disabled members who need to be taken care of), are already handled by existing standards and have no impact here; if you don't tear these leeches off your skin you can't complain when you're sucked dry.

As usual, I intend no hostility here - but I do think you should read more carefully.

Jeff

Metaltastic, things like microwaving babies or stabbing old ladies is illegal whether drugs are involved or not. If you harm someone, whether you're on drugs or not, you should be kept away from other people for a while. If the drugs aren't themselves a guaranteed cause of stabwounds in other people (and last I checked *they're not*) then making them illegal is punishing the wrong goddamned thing. It's funny people mention that, too, since so many *violent criminals* can't be locked up for as long as they need because drug offense penalties are so high.

When did I advocate not punishing people for their crimes? All I meant to say is that since there are cases where drugs cause those crimes, and I feel they're common enough to be considered more than a small exception, that certain drugs should be banned too because I don't trust uneducated people to have the willpower to avoid them, so yes, a superior decision must be made for them in this case. Drugs probably aren't the only cause, but they're definitely part of it, enough to warrant their banning IMO.

I find it irresponsible to consider the drugs to be the primary cause of the crimes, for two reasons. First, those drugs are used by many people who turn around and don't commit crimes; second, the choice to use the drugs was made in the first place and the possibilities of altered behavior should be considered. People don't die of gunshot wounds because the guy who shot them was on illicit substances, they die because they were shot - and since the drugs don't pull themselves into the veins of the perpetrators I don't consider the connection to be of any merit.

You shouldn't use drugs knowing that you might knock someone in the head with a sledgehammer any more than you should throw sledgehammers around knowing that you might knock someone in the head with a sledgehammer. Failure to consider consequences of *any* action is dangerous, and those who use drugs knowing that it could lead to mayhem are being irresponsible in a way that warrants punishment - but since there are ways to use drugs that don't involve strangling other people with their own intestines it's very hard to pin such shenanigans on drug use.

People get into fights over drugs, property, relationships, and religion, but only *one* of those collections of potentially bad things is banned - the same reasoning, which tries to pin some percentage of crimes or some probability of criminal behavior on drugs without any kind of backing, would lead to disaster when applied to plenty of other things and I cannot accept it as valid as a result.

Jeff

Of course people do stupid things, but I believe (and don't think it's very difficult to prove) that people are more likely to do stupid things when under the influence of drugs - try this on for size ;) And it doesn't matter if legalizing it tomorrow would make everyone start doing it, that's irrelevant to the point, which is that it WOULD make it easier to access so more people would be tempted (a big way to avoid temptation is to have the thing tempting you be more of a hassle to get)

Well I did try PCP a couple of times in the old days and based on my memory I was not hungry at all when under the effects. So I think people who eat lungs are quite sick. Having a fight when you're drunk is stupid but it happens, getting cannibal while drunk is sick. I think getting cannibal is just sick and if you blame the drugs for it you're still sick.

Vodka is legal and not everyone gets drunk on it all the time. I made some experiments in the old days and the only "product" that made me completely black out, completely lose track of reality, lost of all memories of the day before, etc, well it was when I was drinking strong alcohol. I never fell on a table full of glasses or down the stairs while high on illegal stuff, I never dropped my beer on sexy girls when high, I never fell asleep with sexy girls when high hehe, but all of it happened when I drank too much of that hard shit. And the stores sells it everywhere!

I think alcohol is also the "intoxicant" that gives the worst hangovers and I wonder if this is why it is legal.

The whole problem of the Prohibition being one of the most obnoxious periods of our history as far as organized crime and inappropriate expansion of government powers doesn't seem to have set in with some...

Jeff

Jeff,

Apologies for not reading more carefully. I just got home from work and unfortunately did not have time to read through every single post I missed. And unfortunately right now I'm still (unfortunately) working and will hopefully have time later tonight to re-read through your posts and more carefully formulate my response. I admit that I initially responded hastily and without careful reading. Like I said, hopefully I'll have a chance to respond more accurately and thoroughly later. I also admit I made some phrasing errors that may have lead to some serious misunderstandings. Just trying to keep myself and this debate honest.

Just to point out - though I wasn't a math major - I do have a math minor and am an engineer. So trust me when I say I see your point and your logic - and I'm not saying that your logic is flawed. So being a fan of physics and math you can't really disagree when I say that it appears thanks to Heisenberg and quantum mechanics that nothing really is absolutely certain. Tehehe

No problem, I still have work to do on wording things clearly.

As a major in math and minor in physics I can say that quantum mechanics don't matter most of the time and have positively no meaningful impact on morality or justice.

Jeff

No problem, I still have work to do on wording things clearly.

As a major in math and minor in physics I can say that quantum mechanics don't matter most of the time and have positively no meaningful impact on morality or justice.

Jeff

I know - it was a little joke to try to interject some humor into the debate.

Hey, watch where you step - *I'm* the one who gets to make nerd jokes around here.

How many different ways can you rearrange the letters in 'Banach-Tarski'?
Infinitely many - 'Banach-Tarski', Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski', 'Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski',...

Jeff

I find it irresponsible to consider the drugs to be the primary cause of the crimes, for two reasons. First, those drugs are used by many people who turn around and don't commit crimes; second, the choice to use the drugs was made in the first place and the possibilities of altered behavior should be considered. People don't die of gunshot wounds because the guy who shot them was on illicit substances, they die because they were shot - and since the drugs don't pull themselves into the veins of the perpetrators I don't consider the connection to be of any merit.

You shouldn't use drugs knowing that you might knock someone in the head with a sledgehammer any more than you should throw sledgehammers around knowing that you might knock someone in the head with a sledgehammer. Failure to consider consequences of *any* action is dangerous, and those who use drugs knowing that it could lead to mayhem are being irresponsible in a way that warrants punishment - but since there are ways to use drugs that don't involve strangling other people with their own intestines it's very hard to pin such shenanigans on drug use.

People get into fights over drugs, property, relationships, and religion, but only *one* of those collections of potentially bad things is banned - the same reasoning, which tries to pin some percentage of crimes or some probability of criminal behavior on drugs without any kind of backing, would lead to disaster when applied to plenty of other things and I cannot accept it as valid as a result.

Jeff

But in your last paragraph, you say "OVER drugs, property, etc.", not directly caused by, because only drugs can do that out of the rest of the things you listed. And again, you say "the choice to use the drugs was made in the first place and the possibilities of altered behavior should be considered", as if it's solely the responsibility of the person who chooses to use drugs. However, let's put it this way - let's say there's a dude out there who normally wouldn't do PCP, but it becomes legalized and much more easy to access, so the person says "what the hell".

BUT...this dude has a mental condition or is on some medication or something that interacts badly with PCP, and knows about it, but tries it anyway, goes fucking nuts, and sinks an axe into his wife's head (I don't say kid because using the "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDRENS" argument is a cheap shot). And let's say you were both a) clairvoyant, and somehow vaguely knew something like this would happen before it did, and b) in the position to decide to legalize PCP. Would you still do it? Cuz if so, it seems like your essentially putting your dogged obsession to stick to your principles about taking responsibility above the life of this man's wife, and the lives of other people in situations like this that would probably occur.

Another way to look at it is with driving; you're cruising along, come to a green light, but see a person walking along up to the crosswalk who is text messaging and doesn't look like he has any intention of stopping. You COULD keep driving, knowing you have the right of way, and if he steps out in front of you it's his responsibility and his fault - so if you hit and kill him, and have to live with that on your conscience, was it worth it?

And IMO, if you substitute:

- the person texting with a person tempted by PCP
- your decision to continue through the green light with your decision to legalize PCP
- the person's death with the death of the PCP user's husband (not exactly the same since you aren't directly affected, but I'd hope we all aren't so heartless to think death is any less worthy of preventing at all costs just because we weren't the ones who caused it)

It's still a strong analogy. And I use PCP specifically because it seems to be the one that can cause people to do fucked up shit to other people the most, but I feel like a similar debate should be had for every other drug, AND, if it can be proven that some other drugs don't cause people to do stuff like this, then I too would be for legalizing them. So I'm on the same side as you guys, I just think it's small-minded and oversimplifying to unwaveringly adhere yourself to this "everyone should be responsible for ALL their own actions" doctrine :)

A group of Polish tourists is flying on a small airplane through the Grand Canyon on a sightseeing tour. The tour guide announces: "On the right of the airplane, you can see the famous Bright Angle Falls." The tourists leap out of their seats and crowd to the windows on the right side. This causes a dynamic imbalance, and the plane violently rolls to the side and crashes into the canyon wall. All aboard are lost. The moral to this story is: always keep the poles off the right side of the plane.

By taking something with poor interactions with PCP and trying PCP he's being massively irresponsible in the way I described above - but the key is that people can take PCP without killing others. Another thing to note is that regulations and standards against operating motor vehicles under the influence of alcohol is illegal - what's stopping you from just mandating that those drugs be taken under controlled circumstances or restricting acceptable use? There's a big difference between 'illegal' and 'legal with no strings attached and with no restrictions at all' that you're leaving out, resulting in an argument no more potent than 'booze should be illegal because doctors could make mistakes while drunk'.

Even in your temptation argument there are issues - not everyone who drinks alcohol uses it irresponsibly, not everyone who tries smoking sticks with it, not everyone who tries heroin uses it even a second time (the majority, if I'm not mistaken, dislike it), and so on - that when ignored lead to an argument that could ban tons of other things. Like the argument above that was so easily applied with simply a replacement of 'drugs' with 'books' or 'reading', it falls flat simply because it could not be even remotely consistent with anything else.

As for the person texting, you've again left out plenty of middle grounds - with heavy traffic around such actions are all but guaranteed to not occur, and without heavy traffic around some combination of honking and steering could avoid the clueless pedestrian at no real cost to the driver.

Jeff

A group of Polish tourists is flying on a small airplane through the Grand Canyon on a sightseeing tour. The tour guide announces: "On the right of the airplane, you can see the famous Bright Angle Falls." The tourists leap out of their seats and crowd to the windows on the right side. This causes a dynamic imbalance, and the plane violently rolls to the side and crashes into the canyon wall. All aboard are lost. The moral to this story is: always keep the poles off the right side of the plane.

Oh, don't start here... we'll need another thread for these.

(Similar wordplay based on analyticity: the Polish mathematician Kac once asked a student to describe the function f(z)=1/z in the complex plane. The student correctly responded that it was analytic away from 0, where it had a singularity; Kac asked the student what kind of singularity was at 0, then asked "What am I?" The student responded "A simple Pole!"

What do polygamist mathematicians wear? Commutative rings.

A math professor was asked by a student: "What is this good for?"
He replied: "If you show someone the Grand Canyon for the first time, and he asks you `What's it good for?', what would you do? Well, you kick that guy off the cliff!" )

Jeff

There's a big difference between 'illegal' and 'legal with no strings attached and with no restrictions at all' that you're leaving out, resulting in an argument no more potent than 'booze should be illegal because doctors could make mistakes while drunk'.

I agree completely; I just wasn't aware you did too :) However, while you say the argument above could just as easily been replaced with "books" or "reading", I disagree, because the point I'm trying to make is that not while not EVERYONE who uses PCP does shit like that, IMO there is definitely a certain point where enough people do to warrant banning it, and PCP may or may not be past that point (which as I mentioned would involve further research before a legalization decision was made, which I'm too lazy to do :D But still, the point stands)

@Marcus:
If someone is stupid enough to try a drug without researching it first, whether it be tobacco, alcohol, weed, acid, coke, heroin, whatever, then they deserve it all go horribly wrong for them.
If I were to take acid right now I'd probably lose my mind. If I were to take acid right now in an alternate reality where I HAVEN'T researched the fuck out of it, its effects, etcetc, I'd fucking DESERVE to lose my mind.

The way I see it, that's pure Darwin. We can afford to lose a few halfwits here and there.

Just because a substance is legal doesn't mean it won't fuck you up. Look at Alcohol and Tobacco. Look at the numerous pharma ceuticals people to take to trip or to get highs off, and perfectly legally at that. A few more legal substances that aren't good for you should be expected.
If someone wandars into a drugstore in said alternate reality where PCP is legal, and thinks OH THAT LOOKS INTERESTING I THINK I WILL TRY IT despite its reputation, JUST BECAUSE ITS LEGAL, then fuck them.

Gareth, you haven't read anything I've said - it's not the person I care about, it's the other people that person might affect while under the influence ;)

I REALLY hope you're kidding, and not seriously thinking that example I gave is the only possible circumstance where such a thing could happen ;)