A recent facination with hard drugs

Anyone fascinated with the hard stuff should watch a couple of close persons slowly lose control of their lives due to drugs and get into a couple of fist fights with a psychotic user. The excitement goes away pretty fast.

Not that I'm straight edge - I drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes and even have myself a joint every couple of months or so, but you get the point. Right?

Yeah dude, just to clarify; my brother was addicted to cocaine for over 2 years, and it nearly ruined our relationship and his relationship with the rest of my family. "Fascination" isn't synonymous with excitement... I just thought that site provided an interesting delve into the minds of hard drug users. That stuff scares the shit out of me, but it's interesting to learn.

I appreciate your analogy Owen.It's clever and well put together.
As an Australian i have known a number of Aborigine people.Some of these people would at the age of 7 or thereabouts undergo an initiation ritual towards there manhood.
Depending on which tribe you were from this process would vary.

Some would have to go on hunts alone and bring back the kill as a means of showing there transitional phase from boy to man.
Some would go on spirit quests and would partake in ceremonies which included a shaman and using hallucinogenics to help them on there vision quest.
Part of this process was to bring back a message to the tribe that was passed on to the boy through the vision.Usually information came via an animal,and that animal would then become the boys totem.(Guide,Protector)

This method as far as I'm aware was the earliest sign of entering altered states and opening one's mind to altered dimensions and realities.(Ritual and Ceremony Aborignies called this This The DreamTime)
Now fast forward to present days.

Circumstances under which people use drugs have changed.Most of the times it's because of peer group pressure and sometimes as a means of escaping one's reality,be it because of abuse in all it's forms.
(Physical,Mental,Sociological etc)

Most drugs not all,are also man made.
If one chooses to have these experiences in a healthy state of mind,the results generally are positive,as your pointing out about hearing things that perhaps otherwise not heard.
But for the most part and i know I'm generalizing here,most of the younger first timers do it in secrecy away from home,with people who are also influenced and in some cases the experience they are having isn't a positive one.
In such cases people suffer and end up worse off for it.Sometimes that suffering causes death.

I'm not saying don't do drugs,if you want to.
I'm simply sharing my thoughts on a matter i think is relevant and generally in modern day is driven by greed and the willingness to manipulate.
Generally for the profits of money,not awareness as we have been mentioning in previous post.

Those who feel they need alittle extra help because they can't cope,and find a place to retreat to for a few hours then go ahead and do that.
If you feel that it's doing you some good and your not doing any harm,cool.

But Hard drugs for the most part will end up eating you.And that my friend is a Sad fact of life,no matter which way you look at it.

First off, I hope we can be fucking mature enough that we don't need Jbroll in here to explain all of us the values of being responsible for your own fucking actions.
Water in excess can harm you, junk food in excess will most certainly be be bad for your health. A gun in the hands of a fucktard will kill. Drugs of any kind in excess quantity are grounds for guaranteed harm to you, to some extent or another (age, weight, genetics, type of drug and so on all come into play).

HOWEVER using PCP once in your life, or once every 10 years is almost unlikely to cause you any real harm. Having one beer a week is not going to harm you.
Using cocaine once will be fine.
Do not fucking blame the drugs. You only have yourself to blame if you fuck yourself on drugs.
I know people who are more articulate, intelligent and more successful than a shit load of holier than thou militant "sXe" idiots who have taken shit loads of different hard drugs on many many occasions.
They have ended up perfectly fine because they did their research beforehand, they realize at which point they need to stop before they become an addict/junky and they are smart in the first place anyway.
As I said, take responsibility for your own actions. Do your homework if you want to try out drugs for that one time to see what it's like, do it in a safe environment and keep an open mind.
If you fuck yourself up, do not blame me, or the OP or anyone else but yourself, I cannot stress that enough.

I think we can leave behind "fuck that shit" and statements in a similar vein at the door (I.E, out of this thread from now on), and we can discuss our experiences in adult, mature fashion. If you cannot handle that, you probably shouldn't be posting in this thread.

Let's begin what is hopefully going to be an insightful and interesting thread.

I understand you are trying to be intellectual about drug use but just to sum up the majority of this thread, I'll say it again:

FUCK THAT SHIT.

I have no reason to hate drugs. I know nobody who has taken drugs, or atleast nobody who has gotten life fucked over by drugs. As you say, lots of other common everyday things can fuck your life up too so hey, why be so negative to drugs? Well, the way I see it.. why the FUCK do you need to take drugs in the first place? If you need to take drugs to spice up your life, then you're living life the wrong fucking way. You should do something about that. By you, I don't mean you in person Petrovsk Mizinski, I'm just speaking in general :)

So hey, one more time - FUCK THAT SHIT.

I drink alcohol though... but I don't smoke anything. I just really enjoy drinking shots and nice drinks with good friends. I wouldn't for one second imagine doing any man-made drugs with "friends"... they wouldn't be my friends in that case, and I wouldn't be theirs. End of story.

One thing I want to address - I know the topic here is (mostly) about hard drugs, but this nonsense about "why do you NEED drugs to make your life better" is irking me, because I've often seen it applied to weed. Again, I used to feel that way too, but then I loosened up and realized that having a well-adjusted fulfilling life while being sober AND enjoying the feeling of getting high are not mutually exclusive concepts ;) And now that I have loosened up and stopped being such a black-and-white tightass who only looked at weed in such extremes, I'm a much happier person!

Incidentally, I had a similar discovery about alcohol a few years ago, though weed was only a few months ago, but I've since gravitated much more towards smoking when being social rather than drinking (depending on the company, though, some of my friends are more down with it than others), cuz you can smoke as much as you want and certainly never have to worry about getting sick or puking, smoking doesn't have any inherent calories so it won't make you fat (of course, there are munchies, but I still only eat health food when I get 'em :D), and it's in no way physically addictive, just potentially habit-forming, which is not an issue if you have a shred of self-control and willpower! The world would be a much better place if more people smoked instead of drank I'd say!

One thing I want to address - I know the topic here is (mostly) about hard drugs, but this nonsense about "why do you NEED drugs to make your life better" is irking me, because I've often seen it applied to weed. Again, I used to feel that way too, but then I loosened up and realized that having a well-adjusted fulfilling life while being sober AND enjoying the feeling of getting high are not mutually exclusive concepts ;) And now that I have loosened up and stopped being such a black-and-white tightass who only looked at weed in such extremes, I'm a much happier person!

Incidentally, I had a similar discovery about alcohol a few years ago, though weed was only a few months ago, but I've since gravitated much more towards smoking when being social rather than drinking (depending on the company, though, some of my friends are more down with it than others), cuz you can smoke as much as you want and certainly never have to worry about getting sick or puking, smoking doesn't have any inherent calories so it won't make you fat (of course, there are munchies, but I still only eat health food when I get 'em :D), and it's in no way physically addictive, just potentially habit-forming, which is not an issue if you have a shred of self-control and willpower! The world would be a much better place if more people smoked instead of drank I'd say!

Well you seem to be talking about something entirely different than I am. I'm not talking about weed, I'm talking about drugs... HEAVY drugs, those man-made ones in little hush hush "labs" that makes people go apeshit and fuck stuff up. If you need THAT in your life, you're doing something wrong.

I understand you are trying to be intellectual about *reading* but just to sum up the majority of this thread, I'll say it again:

FUCK THAT SHIT.

I have no reason to hate *books*. I know nobody who has *read books*, or atleast nobody who has gotten life fucked over by *books*. As you say, lots of other common everyday things can fuck your life up too so hey, why be so negative to *books*? Well, the way I see it.. why the FUCK do you need to *read books* in the first place? If you need to *read books* to spice up your life, then you're living life the wrong fucking way. You should do something about that. By you, I don't mean you in person Petrovsk Mizinski, I'm just speaking in general :)

You'll notice that (with the possible exception of 'know nobody who has read books', which is far more likely in my country than yours if I'm not mistaken) your argument carried over verbatim to something entirely different. This does not indicate a particularly good argument.

Jeff

Fuck that shit!!!!
Weed, tabaco and alcohol is realy enough!!!
IMO

And I´m not straigt edge (I know x...x)
(my normal name is always used in the internet so the x...x came in)

I tried Straight edge for a half year. It was realy great, but I missed being drunk:)

Anyone who doesn't think psychedelics can destroy your mind can die in a fire. The most successful people in the world aren't drug users. Drug users generally aren't people who have careers in a respectable professions and are generally not well-educated people. Keep lying to yourself that you can be productive on drugs, including marijuana. If you drink and smoke weed on your down time, fine and that is all well and good. But when you have lots of responsibilities in your life drugs only slow you down.

They can, or they can lead you to the thoughts that lead to the discovery of the double-helix structure, Feynman's Caltech-professor-era badassery, several amazing advances in modern mathematics and physics...

Generalization is rarely a good idea. If you aren't already striving to be the exception in everything else you do, you're already wasting breath.

Jeff

How am I generalizing, Jeff? Come on, these discoveries and advancements that you listed weren't done with the aid of crack cocaine, meth, mushrooms, etc. We can objectively say, "Yes, drugs are not a good idea and are not productive." Acid for instance doesn't open doors and expand your mind; it limits it. I didn't want to bring this up but I have done some "harder" drugs in the past and it is not for people who want to be functional in everyday life. Try driving a car on acid :lol:

Try driving a car on acid :lol:

At least 10 times, home safely.

Drug users generally aren't people who have careers in a respectable professions and are generally not well-educated people. Keep lying to yourself that you can be productive on drugs, including marijuana. :Smug:

I "roll" with a bunch of drug using, weed smoking, well educated people who are very respectable pro's. :cool:

(ignoring you're choice of words :lol:)

Well you seem to be talking about something entirely different than I am. I'm not talking about weed, I'm talking about drugs... HEAVY drugs, those man-made ones in little hush hush "labs" that makes people go apeshit and fuck stuff up. If you need THAT in your life, you're doing something wrong.

I know, but as I said, I've definitely heard people apply these things to weed - case in point:

Anyone who doesn't think psychedelics can destroy your mind can die in a fire. The most successful people in the world aren't drug users. Drug users generally aren't people who have careers in a respectable professions and are generally not well-educated people. Keep lying to yourself that you can be productive on drugs, including marijuana. If you drink and smoke weed on your down time, fine and that is all well and good. But when you have lots of responsibilities in your life drugs only slow you down.

I'm finding it a little hard to interpret what you're trying to say here - when you say "keep lying to yourself that you can be productive on drugs, including marijuana", do you mean while actually under the influence/high? Or just if you're a user in general? I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the former, reinforced by your next sentence ("if you drink and smoke weed on your down time, fine and that is all well and good"), but still, it seems a bit ambiguous, so I just wanted to be clear :)

How am I generalizing, Jeff? Come on, these discoveries and advancements that you listed weren't done with the aid of crack cocaine, meth, mushrooms, etc. We can objectively say, "Yes, drugs are not a good idea and are not productive." Acid for instance doesn't open doors and expand your mind; it limits it. I didn't want to bring this up but I have done some "harder" drugs in the past and it is not for people who want to be functional in everyday life. Try driving a car on acid :lol:

Altitudes said:
The most successful people in the world aren't drug users.

That, in addition to being the kind of stereotype that makes "Just Say No!" extremists cream themselves, is about as much of a generalization as a single sentence can be.

Altitude, the first two were on LSD and the miscellaneous discoveries in mathematics and physics spread across most drugs.

The deathblow for your 'objective' statement, of course, happens to be the late Hungarian-American mathematician Paul Erdos. I assume you're familiar with him, but for those who aren't...

He was a heavy amphetamine user (in fact, someone once bet him that he couldn't go a month without amphetamines - a bet he won, but later *correctly* described as something that "set mathematics behind by a month") who lived to be 83 and is - to the best of our knowledge - the most published mathematician (by paper count, not page count) of all time. He lived out of a suitcase and spent most of his professional life traveling to visit other mathematicians, with whom he would write a few papers before leaving a short while later. His influence is so far-reaching that mathematicians measure their proximity to Erdos by their 'Erdos number' (the inspiration for the similar 'Bacon number', which has in fact been extended to the 'Erdos-Bacon number', the sum of one's Erdos and Bacon numbers) - and, in fact, among *all* working mathematicians in 2000 (years after his death) the average Erdos number was *5*. Restricting to mathematicians in fields he worked in most, that number goes down even more. In addition to the publication volume that dwarfs most people's book collections, he wrote several amazing textbooks, has had biographies written about him and read by mathematicians and non-mathematicians alike, and gave amazing lectures - some of which are, fortunately, preserved in print or occasionally video.

Don't take me the wrong way - I hate seeing people 'throw their lives away' on *anything* of the sort (drugs, television, religion, *whatever*) and have positively no interest in expanding my current collection of substances (caffeine, nicotine, alcohol)... but I hate closed-minded, inaccurate generalizations like that even more. Apart from being wrong in many important cases, they don't benefit us (in fact, they lead to massive distrust of other arguments made against drug use just by association) and take up space that could be spent on *good* arguments. Above all, I dislike general rules like that (or 'everything in moderation', or 'always look on the bright side of life') and would much prefer a world where people thought more things through to our current situation of checking each decision against an indexed collection of bumper-sticker quotes and soundbites.

Jeff