A theory on the lack of great new bands...

The shift in focus wasn't nearly as stark in Europe and perhaps other parts of the world, and it's those seeds of metal stored safely in the European bomb shelters that allowed metal to be repopulated in the U.S., once the rising Internet had restored the possibility of growth in our soil.

Neil

Absolutely!
I think we discussed this in a previous thread about Helloween.

Speaking personally, I was not aware of Chameleon or Pink Bubbles Go Ape until MANY years after they were released.

I never knew there was a period in Destruction history where Schmier was NOT in the lineup.

I didn't know Vio-Lence had an album AFTER Oppressing The Masses.

Even for US bands, many of them didn't have their albums released in the States.

It took a good 5-7 years for metal to fade, not hitting its nadir until the 1996-1998 period. And yes, this is somewhat U.S.-specific.

See I beg to differ, this was the era where Pantera started selling over a million records, playing arenas and Ozzfest was touring solid across the country. Now granted it might not be the metal that most on this forum like but it was metal non the less and not grunge.

See I beg to differ, this was the era where Pantera started selling over a million records, playing arenas and Ozzfest was touring solid across the country. Now granted it might not be the metal that most on this forum like but it was metal non the less and not grunge.

First, yeah, the type of metal matters, if we're still relating it to Zod's original post. He talked about guitar players inspiring kids to create the kind of metal we like around here, and while Dimebag may have been an inspiration, he wasn't an obvious one, and not a lot of those Ozzfest bands were.

Second, Pantera's success happened before metal hit bottom, while Ozzfest was one of the many elements that helped its return.

Pantera in the early 90s was one of the lone rising stocks standing out against a stock market that was generally falling. In fact, this made Pantera stand out so starkly against the fading background of metal that many U.S. metal fans who would have preferred more melodic fare glommed onto Pantera, simply because they thought Pantera and similar bands were the only type of "metal" bands that existed anymore. But still, they were on their way down by the mid-90s like everyone else. Wikipedia: "The Great Southern Trendkill (released May 22, 1996), came out during grunge rock's dominance and at the onset of rap metal. It is often considered Pantera's "overlooked" album."

The first touring Ozzfest didn't happen until 1997, the same summer that Hammerfall's 'Glory to the Brave' and Bruce Dickinson's 'Accident of Birth' came out, the two landmark albums that signaled the "rebirth of metal" to the types in this community. Like Pantera, some of its popularity in the mainstream came simply because it was the closest thing to "metal" that the mainstream knew about. I never went, and don't have the numbers, but I have the feeling that its popularity generally increased over the years.

So sure, not every band fits the timeline perfectly, but if you sum up all the various indicators used to measure the health and popularity of metal in the U.S., I still maintain that that metric hit its low point sometime between 1996 and 1998.

Neil

Some of the talk on here had me thinking. What do you guys think would have happened if the internet was as readily available during the early and mid-90s as it is now? I think back to how I got into music and such, and I'm imagining it was pretty tough to get your hands on much that wasn't int he alternative style. If you were a metal head, you had to try a lot harder to find good metal, unlike today where the internet has made it incredibly easy.

So, in your opinion, Redemption sucks. Also, according to this forum Circus Maximus is great. But, in your opinion, they also suck. Ok, got it. ;)

Um. Your reading comprehension seems to be at the lowest levels. Plenty of good bands that sound similar to great bands.

I disagree with your thesis, Zod... I think Grunge brought some elements that helped to improve the quality of the music of the 90's and 2000's.

And those 2 decades are my favorite period for music.

I am not a fan of the 80's, obviously. I think it's easily the worst decade for rock n roll and pop music. I don't like the glitter, I really dislike the aesthetics of the whole decade (there are exceptions, like the Thrash bands and some other stuff).

So that's what grunge brought... I like that it made popular music darker (some of it, at least).... And although the music is totally different, I can see how it opened the door to some other "dark" bands and artists... The Radioheads of the world, for example... I think that's great.

There is some great music being made out there... But yeah, there ain't no guitar shredding involved (which I also find to be a good thing).

My theory: We are becoming old farts.

If thats the case then how come its seems that everyone here seems to be getting into much heavier bands the older we get?

Look at how growlies have almost become a staple in most of the great bands most of us love like Opeth,Mercenary,ect.
10 years ago a band like Opeth would have made most people run away screaming OMG,GROWLIES!THEY SUCK!!!

Remember Soilwork mainia in 2002?

The following may sound like I am making fun of a band or a member, but I am not; I am typing this from memory and, being an old fart, my memory is not as good as it once was.

I remember watching one of the late night TV shows (Leno or Arsenio or Letterman) and one of the guests was the vocalist for Limb Biscuit. Evidently the guitarist had quit so the band was looking for a replacement, and this night they were going to audition some new "guitarists" live on the show. Well, the first applicant was some young kid, and he played a few down tuned chords/riffs - nothing spectacular in the least bit. Then this "goth" girl comes out with her guitar and plays like three very simple chords and smiles. My reaction was basically 'WTF?"

Granted, this might had been something done on purpose, but at the time I believe these kids truly felt they were playing the guitar.

Kids like this is what killed rock/metal music...and then came rap.

Trust me guys... you're not becoming old farts! I'm 15 and I like Symphony X, Nevermore, John Petrucci, Theocracy, Narnia, Sinbreed, Seventh Avenue, Iron Maiden, Gamma Ray, Dream Evil, Menahem, Suspyre, Dream Theater, ETC.

I also really like stuff like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Guns N Roses, etc.

I only like a few modern style bands:

Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, Decyfer Down, Sent By Ravens, Red, Disciple, and probably only a few more!

No Queen, Zep, etc well that is all radio is now. granted there have not been any bands like that in the past 30 years (unless you count Metallica, it was painful to say that by the way. There will never be bands like that again.
Grudge killed metal? I have always thought that was a coup out. Yes I have said it myself, but really grudge did not do it, metal hurt itself here in the US. To be honest the mainstreams answer to "heavy metal" was Motley Crue and that shit needed to end anyway. The thing about the grudge movement that left a terrible taste in my mouth was it was a re-hash of punk rock which rock n roll needed in the 1970s. Well the late 80s into the early 90s needed it too but unlike punk grudge did not inspire. Well maybe it inspired the media, Saturday Night Live and the GAP but it did not do much for creativity.
In the 1990s and early 90s at that there was metal in the US one just had to know where to find it. And regardless if you were a fan of that particular genre at least there was something. Death metal came into the 90s strong and I don't think Pearl Jam affected it much. As black metal reached the US a big underground scene spread. The only thing the Nirvanas took out was all the Warrants. Hell that stuff was on what the fifth wave and becoming pretty terrible.
To say metal is not strong in the US today is ridiculous. I hate to mention it but nu metal has helped out metal a great deal in the US. Metal is in commercials, there are metal sections in FYE it had disappeared at one point you know. Metal tours are getting higher profile now than they did in the past 20 years. Metal is in video games, mainstream movies. Damn I could go on.
Or maybe metal is dead and the two kids from two separate occasions I saw in Best Buy sporting Vio-lence and Dark Angel shirts was a figment of my imagination.
When I hear some suggest that metal is dead particularly in the US it makes me think of those people who talk about the "scene", "man let's get the scene going again". Ever notice these are the people who always stay at home?
I remember a guy in this forum talking about how nothing goes on in Raleigh. Really? We have a lot of bands, and good ones. Shows every night and usually big national and international packages thought a week. Because you are not hip to what is going on...
I notice that the people who say there is no metal in the US are people who are also just as clueless to what is going on. They never see it until it is on the cover of the Rolling Stones (reference there). All over the country there are metal bands and ones worthy of attention. Let's see; Dark Mirror, Seventh Calling, HW, Ancient Creation, Widow, Blatant Dissary, Cage, remember Seasons of the Wolf, Ravage. Did anyone happen to notice Lunarium? That was pretty cool stuff, maybe 20 years down the road it will be remembered.
Man this is just going to piss me off if I keep thinking about it.
If heavy metal died out at any point it is the because of the metal fanbase pure and simple.

No Queen, Zep, etc well that is all radio is now. granted there have not been any bands like that in the past 30 years (unless you count Metallica, it was painful to say that by the way. There will never be bands like that again.
Grudge killed metal? I have always thought that was a coup out. Yes I have said it myself, but really grudge did not do it, metal hurt itself here in the US. To be honest the mainstreams answer to "heavy metal" was Motley Crue and that shit needed to end anyway. The thing about the grudge movement that left a terrible taste in my mouth was it was a re-hash of punk rock which rock n roll needed in the 1970s. Well the late 80s into the early 90s needed it too but unlike punk grudge did not inspire. Well maybe it inspired the media, Saturday Night Live and the GAP but it did not do much for creativity.
In the 1990s and early 90s at that there was metal in the US one just had to know where to find it. And regardless if you were a fan of that particular genre at least there was something. Death metal came into the 90s strong and I don't think Pearl Jam affected it much. As black metal reached the US a big underground scene spread. The only thing the Nirvanas took out was all the Warrants. Hell that stuff was on what the fifth wave and becoming pretty terrible.
To say metal is not strong in the US today is ridiculous. I hate to mention it but nu metal has helped out metal a great deal in the US. Metal is in commercials, there are metal sections in FYE it had disappeared at one point you know. Metal tours are getting higher profile now than they did in the past 20 years. Metal is in video games, mainstream movies. Damn I could go on.
Or maybe metal is dead and the two kids from two separate occasions I saw in Best Buy sporting Vio-lence and Dark Angel shirts was a figment of my imagination.
When I hear some suggest that metal is dead particularly in the US it makes me think of those people who talk about the "scene", "man let's get the scene going again". Ever notice these are the people who always stay at home?
I remember a guy in this forum talking about how nothing goes on in Raleigh. Really? We have a lot of bands, and good ones. Shows every night and usually big national and international packages thought a week. Because you are not hip to what is going on...
I notice that the people who say there is no metal in the US are people who are also just as clueless to what is going on. They never see it until it is on the cover of the Rolling Stones (reference there). All over the country there are metal bands and ones worthy of attention. Let's see; Dark Mirror, Seventh Calling, HW, Ancient Creation, Widow, Blatant Dissary, Cage, remember Seasons of the Wolf, Ravage. Did anyone happen to notice Lunarium? That was pretty cool stuff, maybe 20 years down the road it will be remembered.
If heavy metal died out at any point it is the because of the metal fanbase pure and simple.

Couple things. First, I never liked the grouping of the grunge bands. It really was more of a location tag than anything else, outside of maybe the vocal styling. Nirvana was sort of like punk at times. Pearl Jam was more like classic rock. Soundgarden and AIC had a metal edge to it. STP, well, they really weren't grunge at all but were more what turned into alternative. I agree it is a complete cop out to blame grunge as the reason. I also agree that the "metal" that was becoming popular like Motley Crue needed to go. I don't even consider that genre metal to be honest. The closest it came was GNR (who by the way are one of my favorite bands period) but I'll even admit they aren't metal, just hard rock.

People also are so anti nu-metal which I understand, though I like SOME of those bands. However, I would have to say that if it weren't for nu metal, metal wouldn't have gotten popular again. Nu metal was extremely dark and was heavy, and it got people into liking metal again. Due to that, metalcore came around and people were using solos again and little by little, I think metal has been making a comeback. Now it may not be the metal most of us on here fancy, but it most certainly is coming back it seems.

I think when people in here are calling metal dead, I think they're more saying that the metal they fancy just isn't popular here in the states. I think that's what it's more about. Most of us on this forum are not big fans of nu metal, metalcore, etc. that is accepted by the mainstream nowadays for some reason. Though, nu metal is mostly dead.

I think what people are talking about metal being dead was that the larger bands at the time were going more commercial and the other bands that would be considered underground were not putting out good stuff. The genre was tired and people left it in droves. In the late 80's I got into hardcore and punk. I loved the aggression of it. It was like how I felt when I got into metal. I also liked the community feel the music scene had. There were tons of people who were into metal who left it behind them and moved on. To say the fans killed it is wrong....they were a small factor. In fact I blame the bands who were all trying to go commercial or change thier sound from what they originally were doing to stand out. Bands like Mordred who ended up adding a Dj / mixer to the band. They were once a great power metal act. I can name tons of bands who just started putting out crap. To me it was the bands that killed it. It wasnt until the late 90's when bands like Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Angra, Gamma Ray and others started putting out strong releases that got lots of people I know back into it again. I think it is healthy for some genres to go to sleep for a bit and regenerate and then get stronger again.

To complain about people talking about the scene....I know what you mean but also I have to point out a few things. First off just because I like metal doesnt mean I am going to like someone else who does to. So just going to shows to support them and be around other metalheads isnt my cup of tea. I go to shows with bands I want to see and support. There are lots of great bands in the US. The hardest part is that most dont tour or play shows out of thier area so it is really hard for them to grow. In this day and age anyone with an internet connection can find out what is happening anywhere show wise. Years back I was at the House of Blues seeing Hammerfall I think and I was talking to this guy in line and he was saying he was dying to see Sonata....I told him they were playing here in a few months and he was shocked. It was even on the HOB website. People are really clueless. But again this is a double edge sword because when shows happen people think they can just post on a few forums and then when no one shows up they can figure out why no one came. People forget to flyer around thier city. Again.....physical material will always catch someones eye.

There are lots of great things happening in the US metal wise but they just are not greatly attended. Stuff like the Warriors of Metal Fest, Alehorn, and lots of the other fest that pop up across the country. There are lots of small tours but I blame lazy promoters for not getting the word out. With all sorts of social mediums now it should be easy to spread the word. A few weeks back Skelator was playing Chicago. The venue was changed 2 days before the show and no one knew where it was going to be at. Thus I missed the show. In Chicago we are really lucky. We have Reggies which has now pretty much taken the Metal Shows. Plus we have The Red Line Tap. It is a great little bar that has metal Saturday Nights the last saturday of the month. They mostly do traditional and some thrash / black metal too. In the past few months I have seen Ignitor, Deceased, Zuul, High Spirits and many others play there. It is a great place. Literally there is always something happening each week here metalwise. You just have to know where to look.
We even have two of the best new bands here. High Spirits and Zuul ( who are from Carbondale).

nomisofsiman, I do agree

On the issue of saying it was the fanbase, well just consider those who cashed in their Maiden, Slayer, and even Crue albums for Nirvana. I see no excuse. In the early 90s I was so deep into hardcore yet I still knew what was going on in metal for the most part. So why did other metal guys not keep up?
By the way the internet was not there, still I managed.
To break it down to a specific genre well we can do that. I think Iced Earth is a perfect example in this case. I remember buying there first album when it came out, but it would not be what until their 4th, 5th album until they really got some attention in the states. Obviously there was some power metal out there in the US. Sleepy Hollow also comes to mind here. But no one was looking for it back then it's not that it wasn't around. October 31, Twisted Tower, this list can go on and on.
I have always found it interesting that so many power metal, traditional, and thrash bands were always appreciated in Europe but not here. I don't believe those bands turned their back on the US as much as people turned their backs on US bands.
People just gave up on it. Traditional, power, thrash it was never taken away from people in the US. It's not like there was ever a time one did not need to seek it out.
It seems people have a skewed memory of the 80s. How was metal big then? There was still hip hop, boy groups, and pop to contend with. Crue and stuff like that was the only mainstream representation of heavy metal (loosely), which could be comparative to today's nu metal. Thrash and power metal was never huge.
Mordred, I seem to remember the dj was there before the rap metal thing really took off. I can pull the CD and check the date.
As for going to show and seeing bands you might not like well far enough. But more to the point, a lot of people are not willing to look beyond the glossy ad or what the "cool guy" says is good. But done say the metal is not out there.

I'm going to be in the minority here, and agree with Zod. Granted, dropping from 40,000 seat arenas to 400 capacity clubs, isn't completely dead. Dead, by definition, would mean playing in no venues at all. However, if Grunge didn't kill Metal, it surely left it comatose on a ventilator, traumatized, nearly brain dead, and awaiting organ harvesting.

I think there needs to be a clarification made, as is so often the case, that what that mangled, bleeding, nearly lifeless, lump of flesh I (and if I may presume, Zod) call "Metal" is now called "Traditional" or "Classic" Metal. Somehow, in the rewriting of history, and current mad preoccupation of creating and assigning Genres, it has been forgotten that twenty to thirty years ago it was just called "Heavy Metal" or just plain "Metal."

As others have pointed out Grunge didn't hurt all Metal. It may not have done much to Death Metal, but Death wasn't ever in the mainstream anyway. The Groove Metal, Neo-Thrash, and various Core Metals that co-existed at the time were considered the only viable alternative to Grunge. An alternative to Alternative, so to speak. So yes, Pantera, Prong, and Sepultura did okay for themselves at the time. If Grunge did anything to Black Metal, I doubt anyone noticed.

What Grunge did do, however, was to provide a stark contrast to the ridiculous excessiveness of Glam. On one hand you had musicians in baggy jeans and flannel shirts. On the other you had musicians prancing around in leopard spots, nail polish, and lipstick.

The contrast was so profound, that a lot of people suddenly realized just how absurd Glam was. I also think that many of those same people were actually embarrassed to be "caught" listening to those bands. As a result Glam was suddenly delegitimized, and considered to be as laughable as Disco had been.

Unfortunately for the Heavy Metal artists, thanks to Adam Curry, Riki Rachtman, and the rest of MTV, they had come to be identified with the same era. Truthfully, MTV wasn’t solely to blame, since Galm and Traditional artists often shared the stage on tour.

Consequently, even bands that never embraced the look of the era had a similar enough sound that they became in large part indistinguishable from their ludicrous counterparts. Judas Priest, Queensryche, and Dio weren’t considered much different than Poison, Britny Fox, or Faster Pussycat. So, when Galm went down in flames hard, it took Heavy Metal down with it. Almost overnight “Metal” as a whole became a laughing stock.

The net effect of all that was to push Metal in all its forms back into the underground. While the other “genres” of Metal may have been less affected, or even thrived at the time, they would never be able to recapture the lost audience, as many of those people would never come to embrace the heavier styles or more aggressive vocals. There’s no lack of those people on this board to this day.

The effects of Grunge, and the resulting stigma on the 80’s remains. My stepdaughter, who grew up firmly entrenched in the heyday of Nirvana, Bush, and Pearl Jam, still calls what I listen to “That 80’s crap,” with the accompanying eye roll, when I’m playing something like Sabaton. People my age who listened to the Scorpions wonder how I can listen to that “Raaa! Raaa! Raaa! Shit,” when I’m playing Amon Amarth. In addition, most of them have no clue that Priest, Maiden, and Saxon still exist, much less that they’ve putting out new albums over the last fifteen years.

So, some forms of Metal continued to grow and evolve regardless of Grunge. And maybe Grunge didn’t kill (Heavy) “Metal,” at least not completely. Grunge did, however, beat “Metal” to a bloody pulp.

No one has yet to point out to me what happened then if metal was killed of even “beaten to a pulp”. We lost Headbanger’s Ball, Maiden was no longer playing arenas (which that was slowing down in the 80s), and there wasn’t as many magazines. Oh, and also mother’s groups and Christian were nolong helping publicize metal by fighting it. What else did we lose?
There was still metal magazines on the shelves. Thrash bands were still touring. Pantera, Prong, Sepultura, then later Type O were keeping heavy metal alive. This of course is not mentioning the underground scenes.
The 90’s grudge/alternative did not hurt metal. It was all the assholes who turned on it that hurt it. Those guys who would come up to me a say “man I did not know Maiden (Dio) had a new album” Well why didn’t you know? The ads were still in the mags, the album was still in stores, it did not go away.

No one has yet to point out to me what happened then if metal was killed of even “beaten to a pulp”. We lost Headbanger’s Ball, Maiden was no longer playing arenas (which that was slowing down in the 80s), and there wasn’t as many magazines. Oh, and also mother’s groups and Christian were nolong helping publicize metal by fighting it. What else did we lose?.

Not many here would deny that the American public is fickle, and easily swayed towards fads of the day. What "we" or more acurately "Metal" lost was the Cool Factor. When Grunge outed Glam as a bunch of prancing posers it and Traditional Metal (by association) became decidedly uncool. As I said above a it actually became a joke.

There was still metal magazines on the shelves.

All the magazines in the world won't help if suddenly no one would be caught dead reading the content.

Thrash bands were still touring. Pantera, Prong, Sepultura, then later Type O were keeping heavy metal alive. This of course is not mentioning the underground scenes.

Those bands prvided the life support that Metal need at the time. But as I said they weren't going to bring in the fans who weren't inclined to listen the heavier styles of metal to start with.

Let's face it. A lot of headbangers at the time were posers themselves. They claimed to be Metalheads, but what they really wanted was Journey on steroids with dual guitars.

The 90’s grudge/alternative did not hurt metal. It was all the assholes who turned on it that hurt it. Those guys who would come up to me a say “man I did not know Maiden (Dio) had a new album” Well why didn’t you know? The ads were still in the mags, the album was still in stores, it did not go away.

A matter of semantics. Yes it was the people who abandoned Metal that hurt it. Clearly one form of music can't literally hurt another. However, Grunge was the catalyst that turned those "assholes" away from Metal. They may have been posers to the core, but without Grunge they wouldn't have and anything to turn towrds. At least not en masse like they did.

The reason they didn't know about the new albums is simple. Not only is the public fickle it's also by and large lazy. If it's not spoon feed to them by mass media, they're not going to know about it.

Maybe in the 80's you were only into mainstream metal, so the rise of grunge may have had more of a direct impact to you.
It had an impact on the mainstream, which in turn had an impact on guitar playing, which (I'm suggesting) had an impact on the number of musicians dedicated to the genre over the last ten years.

As threads do, this one has gotten off track. Perhaps that's my fault, for my passing comment about Grunge killing Metal. What Grunge really killed (although I still maintain it killed Metal) was guitar playing. While it's true that bands like Dokken, White Lion, Winger, Mr. Big, etc. were all mainstream Hair Metal bands. However, they also featured amazing guitar players, whose tablatures sent a generation of kids to their basement to learn how to become bad ass players. When Nirvana hit, guitar playing really took a nosedive. Without skilled guitar players, it's tough to write quality Metal music.

But Nirvana and Soundgarden were household names LONG before they hit MTV, much like most knew of METALLICA before they made the "One" video.
I think you're confusing "household name" with you having heard of them. A household name is just that; everyone in the household has heard of it. Nirvana wasn't a household name until well after they were on MTV.

In the US. :)
It's hard to correlate this. Maiden and Priest, who are most typically used as Metal's bellwether, lost their frontmen during Metal's leanest years, and consequently, some of their appeal.

Nice post, Zod. I personally had never heard this hypothesis before, and boy is it refreshing to hear a theory that you can't immediately disprove with half-a-second of thought! It's a bit of an unproven assumption that there is an actual lack of great new bands, but if we assume that's true, that I can see your hypothesis playing a role (among other contributors) in the explanation.
Thanks.

Zod - that is not "dying"...that's "downsizing". Doing from 15,000 to 1,000 is not dead...it just means you're having to restructure.
Again, that's splitting hairs. If you're boss cut your salary tomorrow by 14/15, I think you would consider that dire.

Some kids who play guitar still just want to know music that is pretty simple with terrible, if any, solos. But a lot of kids in the 90s still wanted to play like Vai and Satriani. They wanted to learn Alice in Chains songs, which while simple at times, did not always have the easiest solos to play and required some level of skill. Nirvana was seen as a way to begin learning the guitar. That or you played Lightning Crashes everyday because it was the best 3 chord song in the world! After that though maybe you started to learn some Pearl Jam songs. Then you might pick up a Metallica, Megadeth, or Pantera tab book. How about what really 'hurt' guitar playing, was that all of a sudden you had tons of tab books out there, instead of just learning by ear and visually, and through occassional tabs and scales in guitar magazines.

What killed 'the solo' and 'good guitar playing' was mostly audiences getting tired of long-terrible solos from a majority of 80s rock bands. I'm sometimes surprised by how talented some guitar players are in the 90s bands, just that the audience didn't want to hear the talent, so it was rarely shown live or, of course, on album. Instead, guitar players got funky with various effects pedals, since that seemed to be their only accepted outlet for expression.