A theory on the lack of great new bands...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
First off, I'm sure this theory is less than unique. I'm sure it's been suggested, pondered and considered in various forms, on various forums. That said...

In different forums I've seen a growing number of threads about how Metal has stagnated, how there's no fresh blood bringing good music to the scene, or discussions on how this genre or that genre has piqued. Sometimes those who speculate will lay the blame at their own feet, suggesting it's their own evolving tastes which have skewed their view of the genre, and that they've subsequently lost interest in pursuing new music. While I was transcribing an interview with Don LaFon of Six Minute Century, we were talking about his day job as a guitar teacher, when we had the following exchange:

Greg: I myself am a child of the 80s. I was in a band, everyone I knew was a band. I knew a dozen kids who could just shred. They were all into Vai and Satch and Malsteen. How would you compare the approach of kids today towards guitar, to when you learned to play?

Don: Guitar playing is kind of making a comeback. When I taught eight to ten years ago, the songs that everyone would bring in were from GREEN DAY or PEARL JAM, or something that had not much of any guitar playing in it. But now, with heavier music coming back in, the kids are really starting to play at a lot younger age. I got some guys who are thirteen or fourteen who can come in and just shred. But they don't know what it is that they're playing. That's where I try to teach them the scales and what it is. But these days with YouTube, you can pull any song if you want to learn how to play. They can watch lessons of Yngwie, John Petrucci or Michael Romeo, and at a pretty young age they're playing fast!

So if you look back to 1990 - 1995, when Nirvana ruined music for everyone, we'd probably see that an entire generation, who would typically be inspired to play guitar by the rock stars of their youth, never picked up the guitar because there were no guitar players worth emulating. Or if they did so, they learned to play with a paralyzed left hand. Most of those kids would have been in their mid-20s to early-30s during 2005 - 2010. And it's that same mid-20s to early-30s demographic from which I would expect the next wave of great bands to emerge.

So perhaps the decline we've been witnessing for the last handful of years, is simply a lack of musicians capable of contributing to the genre, due to a musical shift that occurred 15 - 20 years ago.

As I said, I'm sure this isn't a unique thought. It's simply one that occurred to me, one I thought was interesting and one which I don't recall being postulated here.

Note... By the way, if you haven't checked out Six Minute Century, I would recommend giving them a listen... http://www.myspace.com/sixminutecentury

Perhaps. But who are kids listening to to learn how to write good songs? Kids don't have Zeppelin, Queen, the Beatles, and such on their radio stations. They do have Coheed and Cambria though.

It used to be there were really good rock bands on the radio. Everybody who played guitar wanted to emulate them. The Eddie Van Halen wannabe, etc. These days, young kids don't hear the guitar shredders on the radio like they once did. No one for them to emulate. No new bands except for the alt/modern rock crap. Even that genre has run out of gas. Like hair metal ran out of gas around 1991 or so, all existing genres are out of gas. No one has stepped up to the plate to come up with something fresh in 20 years or so :(

I see where you're coming from. And I see the validity in it. As we all know, it's never one single thing...it's a combination of circumstances.

My son is 17 years old. He's been playing guitar going on 3 years now and had begun piano lessons recently. When he was 14 and first learning guitar, he was taking in Iced Earth, Candlemass & Iron Maiden songs (which made his 38-year old metal head guitar teacher ecstatic). He went on to learn some Metallica, some Scorpions, some Dio-era Sabbath and other more guitar oriented bands. Now, he mixed in some of his generation (Slipknot, Disturbed, H.I.M., Godsmack), but even he's commented to me how the guitar playing on "older Metal" as he calls it is just so much better and more interesting. He's even taken to writing a couple riffs here and there (that come out like Candlemass, one of his faves).

He's the only one of his friends who is into this kind (our kind) of Metal. A drummer buddy of his is all into Deathcore and Screamo, but my son has gotten him to dig Nevermore, Iced Earth and Dream Theater. Other than that, the rest of his friends couldn't tell you who Iron Maiden is, aside from the t-shirts they see in Walmart.

I think that is definitely one of the reasons, but I do think it is a relatively isolated phenomenon, as this transition to grunge was relatively isolated to the United States. No question that is what we see first hand the most (at least most of us around here), so it plays a major role.

Personally, though, I am not finding there to be a major lack of new bands out there. Every year I am still hearing numerous debut efforts that are solid, with one or two a year that really stand out. Granted, nothing will ever equal the internet explosion of the mid to late nineties, where we had sudden exposure to more bands than ever imagined, all at the same time. Bands like Stratovarius, Angra, Threshold, and Symphony X all seemingly burst on the scene at the same time. In reality, many of us were just EXPOSED to them at the same time. At that point, a band might have two or three discs out before you'd catch wind of them via the internet. Nowadays, we're hearing about bands before they ever record a note in the studio.

At that point, a band might have two or three discs out before you'd catch wind of them via the internet. Nowadays, we're hearing about bands before they ever record a note in the studio.

Bands, bands everywhere...there's 3 bands on every street corner in America, 4 in the rest of the world...LOL!

Kids don't have Zeppelin, Queen, the Beatles, and such on their radio stations. They do have Coheed and Cambria though.
It's a good thing they have C&C.

These days, young kids don't hear the guitar shredders on the radio like they once did. No one for them to emulate.
I suspect kids don't listen to the radio the way we use to, with all the various ways to listen to music these days. And while there might not be great players on the radio any longer, the underground is now readily available to the youth, via MySpace and YouTube.

As we all know, it's never one single thing...it's a combination of circumstances.
Very true.

He's the only one of his friends who is into this kind (our kind) of Metal.
Not surprising. There will always be outliers.

I think that is definitely one of the reasons, but I do think it is a relatively isolated phenomenon, as this transition to grunge was relatively isolated to the United States.
I don't think that's accurate. Nirvana's Nevermind sold 10 millions copies in the U.S. and another 16 million worldwide. Greenday's Dookie sold 18 million worldwide.

I don't think that's accurate. Nirvana's Nevermind sold 10 millions copies in the U.S. and another 16 million worldwide. Greenday's Dookie sold 18 million worldwide.

Fair enough. Couldn't have told you the numbers, but from my narrow little perception here it just SEEMED that they didn't have the level of influence outside the US that they generated here.

I am surprised no one has mentioned what I have always felt to be the obvious.

When I was in bands (which was well over 10 years ago now), there was no My Space, Facebook, etc.

If you wanted to get gigs, you had to write songs, rehearse, and record a demo, so you would have something to present promoters.

Now, you can form a band, record at home, post the songs on My Space, and burn a demo to CD, all in the comfort of home and in your PJs :)

While the net has been great for exposure of bands, it seems like now there are people who are in 5 bands at once!

I think bands don't really need to work as hard to get exposure.

Heck, even on my Facebook, I have many friends who hype their "bands" for months even before they have a finalized lineup.

Just my 2 cents.
I know there are many other factors, but this is one major one, IMHO.

Well its just an opinion so I dont see the need for any "theory".

I see a lot of great new bands coming out.

However the problem is that there is just an overflow of shit bands out there so its hard to weed out whats good and bad. I get so many emails and myspace band requests its not even funny (about 30 a day).

My theory: We are becoming old farts.

Depends on what you mean by that.
I think the bands we all grew up on were hungrier and more dedicated.
Now lots of young bands are filled with members who get in and out of metal at alarming rates. Look at all the complete crap that Century Media books these days? Not saying that EVERY band has to be filled with old school metalheads who have been into metal for 20 years, but you have all these bands with members who have been into it for 2 years or less. Not saying they can't still possibly create good music, but the passion for the genre just isn't there.

I think, and this is just my opinion, that the reason that there are not alot of great up and coming bands here in the US, is that here in the US we don't put alot of emphasis on music with kids as they grow up, especially in schools, those programs have been cut or reduced in alot of schools, and it's a shame. Not saying that this is the main reason but it has alot to do with it. The major communications networks(Clear Channel and the likes) also contributed to it. Now there are some very good up and coming great bands here in the US, Tetrafusion, Scale the Summit, Infinte Decsent, Seven Kingdoms, Vangough, Cloakwheel to name a few. Maybe in a few years they will make their presence felt.

I think, and this is just my opinion, that the reason that there are not alot of great up and coming bands here in the US, is that here in the US we don't put alot of emphasis on music with kids as they grow up, especially in schools, those programs have been cut or reduced in alot of schools, and it's a shame. Not saying that this is the main reason but it has alot to do with it. The major communications networks(Clear Channel and the likes) also contributed to it. Now there are some very good up and coming great bands here in the US, Tetrafusion, Scale the Summit, Infinte Decsent, Seven Kingdoms, Vangough, Cloakwheel to name a few. Maybe in a few years they will make their presence felt.

Another big reason is a lack of good venues across the country. Nobody wants to play a show at a place where you're forced to sell tickets, and to buy whatever tickets you weren't unable to load off onto your friends.

Atlanta had a good scene a few years ago, but it wasn't really unified. The only option bands really had to get new fans was to play at the Masquerade. Once the DIY venue opened up, the scene blew up. It seems like there's a new band popping up every month. And they're mostly really, really good.

I think, and this is just my opinion, that the reason that there are not alot of great up and coming bands here in the US, is that here in the US we don't put alot of emphasis on music with kids as they grow up, especially in schools, those programs have been cut or reduced in alot of schools, and it's a shame.
While that certainly doesn't help, I'm not sure how many U.S. musicians in the 80s were inspired to get into music by school programs. I think the primary inspiration for learning to play music in the 80s was the thousands of women dressed like strippers at Motley Crue concerts.

Another big reason is a lack of good venues across the country. Nobody wants to play a show at a place where you're forced to sell tickets, and to buy whatever tickets you weren't unable to load off onto your friends.
Again, this doesn't help. But I recall from "Decline of the Western Civilization", all those 80s Metal bands in L.A. having to pay to play as well.

Atlanta had a good scene a few years ago, but it wasn't really unified. The only option bands really had to get new fans was to play at the Masquerade. Once the DIY venue opened up, the scene blew up. It seems like there's a new band popping up every month. And they're mostly really, really good.

Good reason, and there are more and more closing every day.

I am surprised no one has mentioned what I have always felt to be the obvious.

When I was in bands (which was well over 10 years ago now), there was no My Space, Facebook, etc.

If you wanted to get gigs, you had to write songs, rehearse, and record a demo, so you would have something to present promoters.

Now, you can form a band, record at home, post the songs on My Space, and burn a demo to CD, all in the comfort of home and in your PJs :)

While the net has been great for exposure of bands, it seems like now there are people who are in 5 bands at once!

I think bands don't really need to work as hard to get exposure.

Heck, even on my Facebook, I have many friends who hype their "bands" for months even before they have a finalized lineup.

Just my 2 cents.
I know there are many other factors, but this is one major one, IMHO.

http://www.teethofthedivine.com/site/blog/show-me-the-money/

:D

I love how everyone says Grunge killed music. Really? All it was is what every genre did when it hit big. One of the best things it did was put metal in the US to sleep for a while to let it regroup and get stronger. Being a big fan of metal in the 80's....I will say the the late 80's and early 90's were very weak. Grunge was something new to people at the time. Sure there were no shredders but at that time people were tired of that. Like metal in the
80's grundge also got old fast and people moved on to something else. Music always comes and goes.

I think Jason hit it on the head. Too many kids now are creating bands and rushing out thier music just to put up a myspace to show thier freinds. Thus filling any genre with tons of "bands" that are not any good. Chicago's Diamond Plate is a great example of how a new band should be doing it. They are total pros and intense live and they are all high school kids. You would think they have been around for 20 years watching them play live. Goes back to the old saying....you either have it or you dont. I see what Jason mentioned that people have pages up for thier bands and hyping them before they have a complete line up. Jason also is a perfect example of this....he has a myspace page for a band that just had bass lines.

I think now it is too easy to get your stuff out there and bands that are good are getting lost in the mix. Decades ago really dedicated bands really worked hard and were pushing thier band at shows and passing out demos. Now people can just sit at home and do it on a computer and not even have to get out there and work for it.

I love how everyone says Grunge killed music. Really? All it was is what every genre did when it hit big. One of the best things it did was put metal in the US to sleep for a while to let it regroup and get stronger. Being a big fan of metal in the 80's....I will say the the late 80's and early 90's were very weak. Grunge was something new to people at the time. Sure there were no shredders but at that time people were tired of that. Like metal in the 80's grundge also got old fast and people moved on to something else. Music always comes and goes.

QFT