AC/DC are they metal iyo?

I'd say they are arguably the the most borderline band ever. I honestly don't think they are. But regardless, they sure did kick some serious tail! :kickass:

I would have to agree with KR most then others in that at the very least I would say they are very borderline... but i consider them metal compared to what was out in the early 70's. To today's standards yes probably borderline Hard Rock/Heavy Metal. But like i said it should not be compared today's metal because metal has evolved. And yes AC/DC has influenced alot of metal bands of one that is Metallica if anyone read their interviews back in the 80's. They cited "metal" bands such as Sabbath, Purple, AC/DC etc. before NWOBHM influenced them. These were Hetfield and crew's words and not mine in magazines of the time of which I still have in my collection. Just never threw them out though I should. The mags/interviews are circa MOP era. But anyways that is just one band of many that has said such things in interviews in those days of which Death Delirium seems to have knowledge of also.

Metal is many different aspects that evolved from "rock" music. Old Sabbath interviews also say they wanted to start a blues or "rock" band (Earth I believe they were called at first)and never called themselves "metal" at first. Other people labeled them as such back then.

But anyways AC/DC's brand of "metal" to me is what i like to call "metal anthems". Other bands i clump into this are Twisted Sister, Alice Cooper, Accept, Scorpions, Quiet Riot etc.

As for the term "rock" being used in songs and such these are examples of Twisted Sister:

I Wanna Rock
I Believe in Rock n Roll
You Can't Stop Rock n Roll
Bad Boys of Rock n Roll
Day of the Rocker

Just examples of a band using the word "rock" alot but are metal. But anyways like I said i consider them very early metal who do "anthems" and at the very least i agree with KR that they are the most borderline of all bands. They are a whole lot heavier then typical hard rock bands like Bad Company, Aerosmith, Grand Funk Railroad,Mountain, Free etc. of that time.

Anyways I guess to each his/her own on this topic and opinion of it.

While AC/DC are clearly off in rock territory, Twisted Sister are more of a borderline case. Something of a rock band with a bit of metal influence maybe. "Pop metal" like this tends to focus on rock and roll themes because it is massively influenced by rock, not because rock is synonymous with metal.

How did AC/DC's existence impact or alter metal in any way?

This really just comes down to some people who insist on labeling anything heavy as metal, when realistically speaking metal has no such monopoly on this attribute.

What makes AC/DC different from any other hard rock band that no one would consider metal?

How is AC/DC metal?

No glam rock has ever registered as metal to me. Even borderline bands such as Twisted Sister and Motley Crue have more in common with hard rock/proto-metal than actual metal. For the record, glam rock is some of the worst music ever created.

No glam rock has ever registered as metal to me. Even borderline bands such as Twisted Sister and Motley Crue have more in common with hard rock/proto-metal than actual metal. For the record, glam rock is some of the worst music ever created.

I wouldn't consider Twisted Sister "glam rock".. they do not try to look pretty ala Crue, Poison, Warrant etc... plus they are alot heavier then said bands... and i definetly would not classify TS as "pop" metal...

I think you need to actually listen to a Twisted Sister album. It's not all "I Wanna Rock" and "We're Not Gonna Take It."

Black Sabbath invented metal therefore Led Zeppelin and Hendrix aren't "metal pioneers".

the word Pioneer(s) does not have to mean only one band though I do agree that Hendrix is not metal per say but he did influence a ton of guitarists who were after his death... anyways each music genre has it's "pioneers" ...

I think you need to actually listen to a Twisted Sister album. It's not all "I Wanna Rock" and "We're Not Gonna Take It."

If you mean me.... i was a TS freak back in 1983/4 when Stay Hungry came out... they were my favorite band at the time before i moved to other bands and to heavier and heavier metal.... thrash metal etc.. so I had all their albums up to Come out and Play... met Dee in a mall once about year and half ago... he was surprised i recognized him... he grew up in Wantagh/Long Island in town next to where i live... he was shopping for a diamond bracelet for his wife... but anyways yes i know all their songs Doden... again this is a metal band that others now do not consider metal because they are compared to today's standards and not those days... TS did "metal anthems" and was heavily influenced by Alice Cooper...

I wouldn't consider Twisted Sister "glam rock".. they do not try to look pretty ala Crue, Poison, Warrant etc...
??? Wearing women's clothing and makeup isn't glam enough for you?

plus they are alot heavier then said bands...
Heavy doesn't necessarily mean metal. This concept is at the root of this discussion, please consider it carefully.

and i definetly would not classify TS as "pop" metal...
Their hits, if we are to call them metal, are certainly among the poppiest metal to have ever existed, ergo "pop metal".

Alice Cooper is moving even farther away from metal, rock music can be heavy without being metal.

??? Wearing women's clothing and makeup isn't glam enough for you?

Heavy doesn't necessarily mean metal. This concept is at the root of this discussion, please consider it carefully.

Their hits, if we are to call them metal, are certainly among the poppiest metal to have ever existed, ergo "pop metal".

Alice Cooper is moving even farther away from metal, rock music can be heavy without being metal.

Listen to their first album.

Because judging on "their hits" is pretty stupid.
Whether Twisted Sister was metal at some point hardly seems relevant to this discussion.

What they wore was not female imo... they were more anti-glam if anything.. there costumes were the opposite of true glam bands... they did not try to look pretty at all... if anything they tried to look like the ugliest MOF "females" there ever was :lol:
This is like quibbling over the difference in fashion choices between Immortal and Dimmu Borgir. They dressed up in women's clothing and wore makeup, that's what glam bands did, whatever subtleties there were don't change this fundamental fact.

Whether Twisted Sister was metal at some point hardly seems relevant to this discussion.

Well that's an interesting spin, considering I was responding directly to one of your posts. Sure, let's get back to AC/DC.

This is like quibbling over the difference in fashion choices between Immortal and Dimmu Borgir. They dressed up in women's clothing and wore makeup, that's what glam bands did, whatever subtleties there were don't change this fundamental fact.

...or not.

Twisted Sister's garb was part of the overarching thematic representation of the band. The band was called Twisted Sister, so they dressed accordingly. They had been doing the same thing long before the existence of hair Metal. They were trouncing about the Long Island clubs since the mid 70s doing the same thing they were doing in the early 80s. They also did many shows under the monicker of Bent Brother in which they did very stripped down, raw sets in their street clothes. They still do this from time to time. Pinning them down as "Hair" or "Glam" or "Pop" Metal is doing them a disservice and more than likely reflects having not been familiar with their overall catalogue. I mean, if we were to judge bands based on their "hits," I would hardly even call Judas Priest Metal. Early Twisted Sister is undeniably Metal. A few early Motley Crue songs are Metal as well, as is some Skid Row. Even Ratt had their moments of Metal.

As far as AC/DC goes, I don't understand how a band that so precisely epitomizes everything that it is to be Hard Rock can be considered Metal. Sure, they had a few distinctly metallic riffs that would not be out of place in a Metal song, but their song structures are distinctly Rock based, without question. They are really just about as precisely the embodiment of Rock And Roll as are The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, KISS, etc.