Acceptable camera and electronic device usage

So could I use my little point and shoot digital camera in *just* the lobby and never take it out in the actual concert area?

As stated, digital cameras are not allowed, with exceptions for sponsors, press, band members and the like. If your phone can pictures or do video, that's ok, you can bring it in to the show, just don't use it for pictures or video of the bands - you can use it in the lobby though.

Why the arbitrary distinction with phones? Because it's not reasonable to prevent people from bringing their phones with them, and they have legitimate uses.

Hope that helps a bit...

Thanks,
Chris

I'm rather certain that Circus Maximus do not want their show recorded. I know you would not do that, but I'm 100% certain that someone would that brings in a digital camera that night. Some cameras could easily record the entire hour and I don't have security sweeping on Wed night. It's my night to relax and enjoy the show.

Ah, right... gotcha. forgot it's a bit different this year with CM. Okey doke. thx..:)

Why the arbitrary distinction with phones? Because it's not reasonable to prevent people from bringing their phones with them, and they have legitimate uses.

Nevertheless, this was actually done at a Danzig show here.
The fans were Not Amused. :err:

I'm rather certain that Circus Maximus do not want their show recorded. I know you would not do that, but I'm 100% certain that someone would that brings in a digital camera that night. Some cameras could easily record the entire hour and I don't have security sweeping on Wed night. It's my night to relax and enjoy the show.

Might be too late for a reply now, but will this be relaxed for the karaoke to follow? In years past, it was....

Question though...

As a sponsor (VIP badge), I will be bringing my digital SLR camera and plan on taking pictures. My question is I have a camera bag that looks like a backpack. Will this be a problem? I really don't want to have my camera out all the time (don't want it to break, etc.).

I don't know why it would be. I'm bringing my camera, and I shoulder it when not in use. Never had a probelm. I'll be packing an extra lens too this year, so, I don't know how that's going to work because I'm not bringing my bag.

Oh, just saw the thread. How big is the bag? Mine is about the size of a fanny pack, vs a backpack, and If i remember, those are OK.

9442249_sb.jpg

That's what it looks like. Kinda big, I know. But it protects the camera, holds extra lenses, etc. Pretty cool - I used it last week when I was in Orlando.

Question though...

As a sponsor (VIP badge), I will be bringing my digital SLR camera and plan on taking pictures. My question is I have a camera bag that looks like a backpack. Will this be a problem? I really don't want to have my camera out all the time (don't want it to break, etc.).

As a sponsor, you're "trusted". You should have no problems. Just don't try and shoot video and you're fine.

The bags are allowed; without the VIP badge, you might get it searched on each re-entry, but that's about it.

Chris

Also it would be nice to get the event photagraphers to take more pictures of the entire event and not just the bands on stage. Then the desire for any camera drops even more... I'm just sayin' :lol:

Since we have double coverage this year, we'll make an effort to roam the lobby areas more than previous years (which, as you point out, has been zero.) Feel free to hijack us for group shots or whatever if you see us. Sponsors with cameras would probably be happy to oblige as well.

My mug shot is in the festival facebook page, and Allen looks like this (headgear will vary.)

Cell phones are OK to bring into the venue, including all kinds of iPhones Blackberries, Android phones, etc. It's OK to use them in the lobby. It's NOT OK to use them inside where the bands are playing for either photo or video purposes, but you can still have the phone physically with you.

Chris

I was seeing people sneaking pictures with their iPhones all night long down there on the floor during sets last night. Should I have "turned in" these folks as well? I'll admit that the occasional pic with an iPhone is not going to be the end of the world here, but at the same time, I would hope it does not get so out of hand that the festival does end up not allowing people to bring iPhones or equivalents in (I have a BlackBerry Storm myself, which has a far superior camera to the one on the iPhone, for example).

Granted, I do have VIP status, thus I am allowed to take pictures with my trusty ol' Canon digital camera, but I may not always have VIP status, thus would like to be able to still bring my smartphone in to have on hand, as well as to grab occasional shots with bands out on the street or in the lobby. I just hope people don't end up ruining even this modest request and result in an even tighter restriction on photography. I am also one of those that likes to try to "capture the moment" myself.

Please folks, I just ask to use discretion here and try to respect the rules that Glenn puts in place here. Had to many folks ruining it already for many of us in the past. Lets not get to the point that no photography, period, would be allowed.

Who was that balding nerd running around like freakin mall security? Yes, I saw some people snapping a photograph here and there and then here goes that little twit running around like a velociraptor, talking to people like he owns the place. It seemed like he was spending more time bothering the guests than enjoying the music...

I had a wonderful time btw.

Who was that balding nerd running around like freakin mall security? Yes, I saw some people snapping a photograph here and there and then here goes that little twit running around like a velociraptor, talking to people like he owns the place. It seemed like he was spending more time bothering the guests than enjoying the music...

I had a wonderful time btw.

Well, I woulda thought you were talking about me, but I'm not balding, so I guess it's someone else. :lol:

Many of the people using cameras or phones to take pictures were legit. Some were definitely not, but almost everyone was cool when asked to put it away. There were a few problems, with people dragged out, but I won't elaborate further (Glenn or whoever can if they choose to).

Sorry for anyone bothered by all the running around... I sincerely apologize and wish it was unnecessary.

Random story:

I brought my Dad to the festival and I knew of the camera policy but he didn't and I guess he bought a camera while I was off at college or something cuz we show up Thursday night and the bouncer is like "Do you have any cameras in the bag" and my dad is like "Oh yeah, here it is!" and then the bouncer enlightened my all too excited want-to-get-pictures-of-his-son Dad. Bummer cuz he wanted to get pictures of us at the festival, but luckily Super 8 was only 10 min walk away (this year was my first year and the Super 8 was closer than everyone said on the forum!).

The next night during CG at like 12:30AM, some bouncer comes out of nowhere and appears behind us (we were up near the top right in front of that black booth door) and is like "Hey you! Do you have any camcorders?" and at first we were like scared oh shit cuz we didnt really hear what he said, but then we realized he thought WE had a camcorder. First, we remembered not to bring ours the second time around. Second, my dad probably doesn't even know how to use the video feature (he doesn't know how to turn off flash apparently either so all his pictures suck). In any case, they realized we were busy watching the headliner so they didn't like body search us thankfully. We were shocked though.

I think I saw Glenn threaten a bootlegger during Orphaned Land's set...he came into the camera pit and looked pissed, addressing someone a bit behind the front row. His hand-gestures ("If I see you again, you're out!") looked unmistakeable, though.

I think I saw Glenn threaten a bootlegger during Orphaned Land's set...he came into the camera pit and looked pissed, addressing someone a bit behind the front row. His hand-gestures ("If I see you again, you're out!") looked unmistakeable, though.

Yeah man, I was right next to the guy. He took about 3 or 4 pictures of Orphaned Land, then he put it away. Glenn came up asked the guy if he had a camera, he said "No" and Glenn told him that he had his eyes on him. It was pretty intense. Haha

At some point a dude next to me snapped some photos of a band with a digital camera. I remember thinking, "Hey, why didn't I bring mine? Wait, oh yeah...." haha

I'm gonna say it, I got quite a few pics of a few bands (mostly shitty ones tbh) on a digicam (and yes we got in with it), being my first PPUSA I was honestly, totally ignorant of the whole thing til the velociraptor guy told me what was up, I then stopped but laughed as I watched him run all throughout the place during Fates Warning. I enjoyed getting to snap a few shots of and with my favorite bands and logging my awesome time at PPUSA. However, respecting the rules as I now know them, I will only bring a disposable next time. my bad... :)

I was way up in the seats for Fates' set, and there was a guy that got nailed for videotaping only a few seats away from me. Prior to the set, he was very chatty and seemed to be a PPUSA veteran, knew a lot about every band announced for next year. I completely didn't notice him recording, but he was trying to shove his camera in his pocket (with the red "record" light still on) while being accosted by security or one of the crew. It was beautiful...!