Accidentally nailed the "TGE" tone?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Obviously not exactly, since I'm using a different cab, only one of the two amps on the album, and of course I'm not Andy, but while re-amping some tracks for Gojira_ on here I think I came pretty damn close! Here's the link - and yes I know it has the wooly midz around 400, and yes I'm selling the cab for a Recto cab, but still, I think this turned out pretty swimmingly! Awesome riffage too Gojira_ (don't know your name, I realize ;)), but if you want me to take it down, I suppose I will...wiener :heh: What guitar were you using btw dude?

And this was TS7 --> 2 ch. Dual Rec Red Channel --> Stiletto cab --> 57 --> Onyx Satellite (for the 2 billionth time :D)

"This Godless Endeavor" ;)

And thanks guys! Unfortunately he just had me re-amp 5 clips (all about the length of the above two), so I doubt he could string a full song out of 'em :(

Thanks Mark! And Lasse, here's a pic of the settings:

RectoSettings.jpg

Diodes and Bold, naturally. And honestly, I don't know how you can have the presence knob as high as you've mentioned in previous tests; to me it's basically the fizz knob, and the manual recommends to keep it around the 9:00 range. I guess maybe the Engl cab needed the boost, but I'd recommend trying it in the 9:00 range with your Recto cab! The best way to describe the mic position is I had it on-axis pointing straight at the cone, with the outer-right edge of the mic capsule lined up with the outer-left edge of the dustcap (on the bottom-left speaker of my cab). Glad you dig it dude!

Thanks Mark! And Lasse, here's a pic of the settings:

RectoSettings.jpg

Diodes and Bold, naturally. And honestly, I don't know how you can have the presence knob as high as you've mentioned in previous tests; to me it's basically the fizz knob, and the manual recommends to keep it around the 9:00 range. I guess maybe the Engl cab needed the boost, but I'd recommend trying it in the 9:00 range with your Recto cab! The best way to describe the mic position is I had it on-axis pointing straight at the cone, with the outer-right edge of the mic capsule lined up with the outer-left edge of the dustcap (on the bottom-left speaker of my cab). Glad you dig it dude!

wow, bass that low and treb that high would get me into fizz-land on mine.
the treble set to more than 12:30 gives me a bee's hive (the presence knob just adds high-mids on mine).

your mic-position is interesting, I'd usually have it the other way round (in your case....left edge of 57 lining up with the left edge of dustcap....so it's on the dustcap, but moved to the side slightly).
I f I get your description right you're having yours just outside the dustcap...I sometimes like the highs better that way, but never liked the low-mids at all.

I definitely haven't discovered the full potential of the recto.cab yet, I think I'll experiment a bit more with the recto into the recto cab.....clips to follow ;)

P.S. I always hated those pointy recto knobs...glad mine's got the dome speed ones ;)

p.p.s I usually have the master set like you did here, I find 9:30-9:50 to be somewhat of a magical setting for the master...lower and it's getting lifeless, higher and it's getting wooly.
it's pretty loud though, in rehearsal (and we practice loud!) I have it around 8:30-8:45

Obviously not exactly, since I'm using a different cab, only one of the two amps on the album, and of course I'm not Andy, but while re-amping some tracks for Gojira_ on here I think I came pretty damn close! Here's the link - and yes I know it has the wooly midz around 400, and yes I'm selling the cab for a Recto cab, but still, I think this turned out pretty swimmingly! Awesome riffage too Gojira_ (don't know your name, I realize ;)), but if you want me to take it down, I suppose I will...wiener :heh: What guitar were you using btw dude?

And this was TS7 --> 2 ch. Dual Rec Red Channel --> Stiletto cab --> 57 --> Onyx Satellite (for the 2 billionth time :D)

Yo dude! My name is Erkan btw, now everyone knows =) (I wonder how the hell "Erkan" sounds in english/american-english... hmm.. somebody, record yourself while saying it and post a clip, haha!)

It's awesome that no one has commented the sloppy playing so far... haha, I seem to get around that for now! Anyway, those riffs are from an upcoming forum collaboration with Morgoe. I record scratch guitars, send 'em over to Morgoe who programs drums and records keys and gives a lot of feedback, and ping pong... it grows over time like that.

The guitar I'm using is just an ESP LTD MH-250NT. A cheap guitar, goes for like 459 Euros over at Thomann.de. Insane price/quality ratio if you ask me! Only thing I've had problem with so far is some buzzing at the Tune-o-matic bridge, and the tuning lugs on the head could be replaced but they work just fine really. I should replace/fix the volume pot though.. it has a very tiny "dead zone", where it suddenly cuts the sound at a certain position.

Slammed in an EMG81 in it to replace the crappy stock ESP-EMG pickup, and it sounds alright. It's tuned in A#sus4 (thanks to Jeff for giving advice on what string gauges to use), and this tuning is pretty fun to play with for me, considering my main instrument is drums, I'm not that picky with what tuning to go for on the guitar. I just pick it up and play :D

Hahahaha, I assume by the Queen Bee you mean the buzziness? I dunno, I like it, I consider it more sizzle (rather than 5150 fizz ;)), and it's mainly what reminded me of TGE (and I think would cut excellently in a mix). Bernhard, yes I know it's muddy, thank you, see first post :D And Lasse, personally I fucking love the pointy knobs, thank you very much - WAY easier to remember exactly where the settings are! And we of course don't have the same cab so it figures the mic position would be different, but I really can't get any closer to the dustcap without painful fizz (which might explain why I have the treble a bit higher). And actually, while the master is that high, the loop active master is also engaged and at about the same place, so I would say it's at a "slightly painful but not loud enough for practice" volume (neighbors ;))

Hahahaha, I assume by the Queen Bee you mean the buzziness? I dunno, I like it, I consider it more sizzle (rather than 5150 fizz ;)), and it's mainly what reminded me of TGE (and I think would cut excellently in a mix).

I agree it would gut in a mix.

I like more steak than sizzle myself, but regardless it's a pretty swell tone.