Admit to Music You Like (aren't supposed to)

With Hedges, it's not so much the technicality of his playing, but more the EMOTION and heart that he played with. I don't think anybody enjoyed playing guitar more than Michael Hedges, and it showed in his playing, especially in his live performances. Afaic, he is a legend. :worship:

Yea pretty much, I was trying to say that but it came out in the form of some nonsense like "he's so damn atmospheric." But yea, if you watch him live he's just so passionate about his playing; sorta seems to have that "soul" like an acoustic hendrix or something.

the reason some (or most) people don't like hip-hop, "trip-hop" (lol whatever that is), and ambient is because they are intelligent enough to know better, those genres are 100% nonsense

as for metal, it's pretty dorky as well, i can see why most people are revolted by it, i only personally like about 10 or so metal albums

and i've literally never met anybody who doesn't like rock music as a general rule, everybody likes at least some of it

and finally, the reason most people don't listen to classical is because it requires some reasonable amount of effort to get into the historical context and whatnot, and most people would rather just groove out to something simple and catchy. but make no mistake, this means that they are complete idiots

i think i agree here.
except for the metal is dorky comment. Metal can be taken seriously. unlike rock.

Rock is gathering (thanks to everyone from Jay z lil'wayne to pink and kelly clarkson) quite a large spectrum, and can no longer can be taken all that seriously.
back when bands like kiss were around it was a way of life, and more than music. Now its just fully mainstream with Posers riddling the streets.

Emo is the same.

Metal ftw.

I cleansed my iPod a couple of weeks ago of all the stuff I had sorta grown out of so it seems to be in pretty good shape now, but I still have some Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Muse, and Chevelle on there. Chevelle is meh for the most part I think but some of their older songs probably got me on the road to metal before I even liked Tool and Metallica and stuff. The other ones just have some catchy songs.

And :erk: to the guy that mentioned Michael Hedges..he's maybe not as technically skilled as newer classical players but, like with rock and metal, that's just the genre getting more advanced with time. And he's so damn atmospheric. Well...anyway he's my favorite acoustic artist along with Nick Drake (and does Mike count? :))

I don't understand why RHCP and Muse are on this list :O. Unless you're referring to RHCP past Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Muse may not be terribly inventive (at least not imo), but at least they can play their instruments halfway decent

Ok, here's a few that might fit this category:

Enya (her music is very relaxing) and Clannad
Sonic Syndicate (I like the vox, what can I say?)
Kenny Loggins (he's just a really good songwriter)
Will Ackerman, Michael hedges, Tim Story, Alex DeGrassi, George Wisnton, among other Windham Hill srtists (Will Ackerman is one of my all-time favorite musicians)
TONS of classical music (Debussy, Ravel, Rachmaninoff, Vaughn Williams, Delius, Hovhahness, Rautavaara)

I'll just clarify my inclusion of classical music on this list, since some know-it-all in another thread called it "naive"...

To me , this was to be a list of music you like but most "metalheads" probably look down at, so this was the reason for my inclusion of Rachmaninoff and Debussy, et al. So, perhaps it was me misinterpreting the question somewhat, but it's not being naive. :Smug:

i luv this band metallolica but they arnetnetnt a gilty plezzure bc they are so HARDCOAR!!!! i like MASTER OF A PUPPETS and DEATH DE LA MAGNETIC yeah and liek LOLD and RELOLD and AND JUST ICE FOR THE ALL anbd ya thay are is so good i am going to go liszten to MASTER OF A PUPPETS rite now!

^^I really like Alan Hovhahness; I picked up a CD of his on a whim and just fell in love with the way he fuses eastern-sounding exotic scales and ambience with classical music. You need some S's in your classical list though: Stravinsky, Sibelius, Shostakovich.

In other genres, I really like Silverchair. Not so much their first couple of albums, but I think Daniel Johns gradually morphed into a brilliant songwriter.

I also get a kick out of The Scarring Party. Every time I listen to them I feel that I've been transported to 1920.

^That was a good album (the album, that song was on). Unfortunately I bought another album by TTD. It's actually called "Neither Fish, Nor Flesh".

I listen to several rap musicians. (the non-shitty ones. It's true! Some actually don't suck!) I really enjoy certain video game soundtracks. I also think Styx and Journey are fantastic.

Actually, I don't think there's a problem with liking them. I think people need to learn to not be embarrassed about what they listen to.