Advice for a first-timer?

The "saved seating" is always a pain. A lot of us have the "I'm sitting here until someone comes back/ this chair has been empty for 3 sets" rule.

-MetalRose

That saved seating shit aint flying with me this year. I have had it, I am gonna sit whether there is a towel or anything else there, and if you dont throw a huge fit when you come back I will probably get up since I never want to sit for that long.

I don't know if it's been said, but there are a lot of opportunities to meet new people, so don't be sitting in a corner. Get out there and talk to some people.

Next ProgPower I go to, I will remember to have more money and try to watch it on loading up on CDs from the merch tables. Anyone who's ever been to a festival with me knows that I buy obscene amounts of CDs.

I'm going by myself so I'll probably spend a majority of the time on the floor and try and score a seat when I can. Is it relatively easy to get in and out of the venue to store merchandise in a car/is that a good idea?

Hey, thanks for hanging out in the studio last night for, like, four hours! Ir helped keep me sane. :lol:

Getting in and out of the venue isn't a problem, particularly if you're in the front where the CD vendors are (the "Vinyl" bar at the front of the structure). You just...walk out and walk back in.
Parking in the venue's parking deck underneath the building could mean a total transit time of less than 5 minutes, but it costs a bit and as others have said, for PPUSA it does fill to capacity eventually.
There are some surface parking lots in the area that would be a longer walk, but perhaps cheaper, and we're still not talking more than, say, 15 minutes roundtrip.

Getting in and out of the venue isn't a problem, particularly if you're in the front where the CD vendors are (the "Vinyl" bar at the front of the structure). You just...walk out and walk back in.
Parking in the venue's parking deck underneath the building could mean a total transit time of less than 5 minutes, but it costs a bit and as others have said, for PPUSA it does fill to capacity eventually.
There are some surface parking lots in the area that would be a longer walk, but perhaps cheaper, and we're still not talking more than, say, 15 minutes roundtrip.

I knew that's something that I should have thought about for ProgPower VIII.

Hi there, appart from al the money you can get, I think there is only one thing all people that go to this fest carry with them, THE HEAVY METAL SPIRIT that is inside us all days of the year

Mine got confiscated when I went through security at the airport. :Smug:

Some good advices on here, all though i consider myself "PP experienced". I'm a first-timer to PPUS, but i've been to the PPUK, Europe and Scandinavian ones. Looking for to check out this edition and (most likely) find out that the US one got the same spirit and great atmosphere as the ones i've been to in Europe.

:headbang::kickass:

Just find me, I'll introduce you around, or introduce you to someone who can. :D

Just find me, I'll introduce you around, or introduce you to someone who can. :D

I will for sure go find you. It was nice to meet you in Copenhagen and you're one of the few i know willl be there that i've already met. There is already a couple of others that have hooked up with me on myspace and facebook which i'll meet as well. :)

First time ProgPower for me and my brother this year as well. In the past three years, we've taken trips to one major festival each summer (Gods of Metal in Italy two years ago, NEARfest in PA last year) and this year we're doing ProgPower. In the other festivals, there were places set up for the band where after their performence, you could go and talk to them and get them to sign stuff. Is this show anything like that as well? If so, is there a limit to how much you can bring? Any info would be appreciated..thanks

First time ProgPower for me and my brother this year as well. In the past three years, we've taken trips to one major festival each summer (Gods of Metal in Italy two years ago, NEARfest in PA last year) and this year we're doing ProgPower. In the other festivals, there were places set up for the band where after their performence, you could go and talk to them and get them to sign stuff. Is this show anything like that as well? If so, is there a limit to how much you can bring? Any info would be appreciated..thanks

At Progpower they always do this, but it is up to each band as to weather the participate, nad most usually do. there will be a chart posted in the entry way with bands and sigining times, as to the nuber of items, i can't remember. Plus most of the bands will just hang out and you will see them all over the place.

As the event gets closer, watch for an announcement about the annual lunch at Front Page News. It’s a great way to meet fellow attendees. (Although I hope that the lunch is moved back to Friday this year, so it’s not at the same time as the SymX forum lunch!)

Also, plan ahead for dinner on Saturday night, as all the restaurants near the venue shut down early. You won’t be able to pop over to Subway at 7 p.m. in between bands and grab a sandwich. (Although I think they could make a BOATLOAD of money if they stayed open…)

Finally, see if you can swing your fall schedule to avoid classes on Mondays. Tuesdays would be good to avoid, too. You will be DOG tired after a long weekend of kick ass metal! (Although maybe not as tired as me, because I’m old. :lol:)

As the event gets closer, watch for an announcement about the annual lunch at Front Page News. It’s a great way to meet fellow attendees. (Although I hope that the lunch is moved back to Friday this year, so it’s not at the same time as the SymX forum lunch!)

What she said! :) My friend Steve and I have fun meeting other PP attendees AND bands (yes, you may see a band show up at Front Page News).

Also, plan ahead for dinner on Saturday night, as all the restaurants near the venue shut down early. You won’t be able to pop over to Subway at 7 p.m. in between bands and grab a sandwich. (Although I think they could make a BOATLOAD of money if they stayed open…)

One of the things that pisses me off about Midtown is the lack of fast food restaurants within walking distance of Center Stage. As Kimberly said there is a Subway as well as a pizza shop where you can get pizza by the slice - about a block east of the venue. Last year I bought some power bars and brought them in (shhhhh!) That worked out quite well.

Finally, see if you can swing your fall schedule to avoid classes on Mondays. Tuesdays would be good to avoid, too. You will be DOG tired after a long weekend of kick ass metal! (Although maybe not as tired as me, because I’m old. :lol:)

I'm up there with ya..... those aches and pains add up after a weekend of metal. :headbang::kickass:

First time ProgPower for me and my brother this year as well. In the past three years, we've taken trips to one major festival each summer (Gods of Metal in Italy two years ago, NEARfest in PA last year) and this year we're doing ProgPower. In the other festivals, there were places set up for the band where after their performance, you could go and talk to them and get them to sign stuff. Is this show anything like that as well? If so, is there a limit to how much you can bring? Any info would be appreciated..thanks

Some bands participate in a signing session that's scheduled throughout the weekend. Not all bands participate. There is no "meet and greet" session per se - that's what the signing session is for. But there may be chances for informal meetings if bands stick around and see other performances.

As for what to bring, etc. - I have never participated in one of these (I'm always too busy either watching other bands play or buying CDs) so I don't know what is appropriate. I'd say bring a couple of things for bands to sign but don't be a pest about it. :)

Great Advice here guys!

It can be kinda overwhelming to try and figure out exactly how to prepare for a destination festival when you are completely new to the program. This is my first year as well, and I feel better knowing some of the "do's and don'ts". It also is a breath of fresh air to see people so willing to help the noobs.

Last year I went to 3 of the major German summer festivals, and found varying receptions from forum members about questions, or general "how to" from first timers. So thank you all for your assistance!!

Can't wait!

Oh yeah, what does the "Proud sponsor of (insert band name here) at PP(?)" mean?

I know people have mentioned bringing CD booklets to the venue to get signed. Can you bring in Vinyl gatefolds, or would those be too big and not allowed into the venue? I would love to get some of my Vinyl signed.

At Progpower they always do this, but it is up to each band as to weather the participate, nad most usually do. there will be a chart posted in the entry way with bands and sigining times,

The schedule is also printed in the program book that every attendee will receive...subject to changes after the print deadline, of course.

as to the nuber of items, i can't remember.

Typically it's two items, but you can loop around again in the line if there's time.

Plus most of the bands will just hang out and you will see them all over the place.

Most of the bands tend to do this, particularly the "undercard" bands. It's really cool.

Oh yeah, what does the "Proud sponsor of (insert band name here) at PP(?)" mean?

Glenn Harveston, PPUSA's promoter, has encouraged fans to help out the festival monetarily and sponsor bands since ProgPower USA IV (although two fans, myself included, were band-sponsors at PPUSA III). It's a way of helping out the festival and -- in some cases -- getting to see a band that you thought you might never see in the US. (Therion, anyone? :)) In exchange, sponsors get some additional perks and a VIP badge.

I know people have mentioned bringing CD booklets to the venue to get signed. Can you bring in Vinyl gatefolds, or would those be too big and not allowed into the venue? I would love to get some of my Vinyl signed.

If they fit in the 'small backpacks' that attendees are allowed to bring in, then you should be able to bring them. I swear I've seen vinyl records being presented at signing sessions in the past, too. Anyone know what the exact wording of the bag/backpack policy is?

I've been to the last 3, this year making my 4th and I've pretty much found a good rhythm.

1.as said before, you will need lots of money. I show up early with a list of stuff I already know I wanna buy, get it and take it back to the hotel
2. grab a program and decide which bands I will stand in line to meet and make sure I own at least one album of theirs to get signed
3. bring some sort of 35mm camera
4. find seats. there aren't really any bad ones except for maybe the first couple of rows (you're looking at everyone's backs). Standing up is fun but I'm short and I like seeing what's going on.
5. Talk to the people around you. We all go to PP because we all love the music. That translates to a friendly atmosphere.
6. Keep a sharpie or something to write with and on for after the headline show on friday so you can write down the lineup for next year.
7. show up early on Saturday to fill in any gaps in your purchases due to the previous night's announcement.

have fun!