Alexi in new Young Guitar!

In Your Face said:
I'm not a huge fan of the HZ's alone, but when you use them with the EMG PA2 they sound pretty good... Alexi makes them sound really good (obviously).
alexi has pretty shitty tone really, but i wouldn't expect you to be any kind of expert.

I really don't see any reason why they make 22 fret electric guitars. Why would anyone want to limit themselves and make leads harder to play? I understand most are for rhythm guitar players but still why should they only have 22 frets? It really annoys me when I find a perfect guitar somewhere and as I look closer realize that its only 22 frets. If there is a logical explanation for why all guitars aren't 24 frets I would love to hear it.

i can get along fine with 22 frets, why can't you?

part of the reason, is pickup positioning. the neck pickup can be put in what is called the "sweet spot", which is right under the spot where the 24th fret natural harmonic would ring from... its supposed to be the best spot to put the neck pickup... whether i agree with this or not i dunno, i've not seen any real proof, nor heard any difference. also, did it maybe occur to you that not everyone needs 24 frets? in fact i'd say the vast majority could care less. the primary function of the guitar is not wank.

Elysian893 said:
alexi has pretty shitty tone really, but i wouldn't expect you to be any kind of expert.

You're a fucking idiot. I never said I was an expert. Just offering a second opinion. Whether or not you care for Alexi's tone doesn't really matter. He has an original sound and doesn't blow his load over active pickups like (insert random metal guitar player name here).

I'll agree that his isn't the warmest, smoothest tone out there (Lumis has that down) but its still original, and definitely not shitty.

Elysian893 said:

part of the reason, is pickup positioning. the neck pickup can be put in what is called the "sweet spot", which is right under the spot where the 24th fret natural harmonic would ring from... its supposed to be the best spot to put the neck pickup... whether i agree with this or not i dunno, i've not seen any real proof, nor heard any difference. also, did it maybe occur to you that not everyone needs 24 frets? in fact i'd say the vast majority could care less. the primary function of the guitar is not wank.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You've just made the first constructive post i've seen!

And I have to say, thanks for the info about the "sweet spot" I never knew about that. :headbang:

I do agree with you about the 24 fret thing though. Shredding isn't really what an electric guitar was made for.

And, I still think you're a fucking idiot. :D

:lol:
The neck pickup, IMO, if positioned correctly, sounds way different than one positioned like in a 24 fret guitar. I hope someday some crazy scientist/luthier will find out how to combine both the 24 frets and the neck pickup positioned where the harmonics are :headbang:

Btw, alexi's tone is a huge ball of shit, even in my favorite album, SW.
He needs to spend some time finding out how to dial in an amp

I feel like the idea of 24 frets is still in its "coming of age". Classical guitars have like 18 frets, the first Stratocasters had 21... then 22, along with Les Paul's. Seems like it just needs to catch up... but it's really not needed.

I knew one reason was about the pickup placement on 25.5 scale guitars... never knew it was actually for harmonics... I'll have to test that tonight. Thanks for the info.

.gravity said:
I feel like the idea of 24 frets is still in its "coming of age". Classical guitars have like 18 frets, the first Stratocasters had 21... then 22, along with Les Paul's. Seems like it just needs to catch up... but it's really not needed.

I knew one reason was about the pickup placement on 25.5 scale guitars... never knew it was actually for harmonics... I'll have to test that tonight. Thanks for the info.
i have a 29 fretter :Spin:

Lightbulbsun said:
hey Elysian...I don't go around the boards that often so this may have been covered, but indulge me for 2 seconds. I'm guessing you are in a band...is there examples of your bands music online somewhere? I'd be interested.
no, the band i'm in i just joined tuesday, and we're still in the writing phase, but you can hear some things i've written in the last year or so on my myspace, www.myspace.com/Elysian893

Elysian893 said:
no, the band i'm in i just joined tuesday, and we're still in the writing phase, but you can hear some things i've written in the last year or so on my myspace, www.myspace.com/Elysian893

Hey, You sound really good. Gallopy was my favorite of the four.

I still think you're a bag of shit though... :oops: At least you like Nevermore.

Good luck with the new band.

about the 24 fret thing. well i know any1 can get along very well with 22. i have 22 myself and i dont cry for a 24.

but, if some ppl want to do some solos or lick or anything on the 24, well its way easier with an actual 24 fret guitar. i can't do the kissing the shadows solo because i dont have 24 (and because im not yet able :dopey: ) and some other things i like to play, for example, silent night bodom night. its hard to do sweep picking on 24 when you got to bend the 22...

you might get well with 22 but some other ppl dont for their songs.

Elysian893 said:

Sure I can play a guitar with 22 frets fine, but it still limits me speed wise on some lead work on the upper registers. There are some Necrophagist songs I play that are impossible on a 22 fret guitar. Interesting about the "sweet spot" pickup placement, I've personally never noticed a difference on 22 fret vs. 24 fret guitars. And in my post I did say "I understand most are for rhythm guitar players". Anyways thanks for actually attempting to answer my question.

In Your Face said:
You're a fucking idiot. I never said I was an expert. Just offering a second opinion. Whether or not you care for Alexi's tone doesn't really matter. He has an original sound and doesn't blow his load over active pickups like (insert random metal guitar player name here).

I'll agree that his isn't the warmest, smoothest tone out there (Lumis has that down) but its still original, and definitely not shitty.

I agree that alexi's tone isn't that bad but just to let you know Jeff "Lumis" use's active pickups, so dont flame active pickups if you love Jeff's tone.